Note to New Members ×

Coiler 188 Monster

big mario

post-1551-141842420782_thumb.jpg

I will add to this review as the season, and my riding progresses

Today was a very short day, 2 runs, due to the poor shape I am in at the moment, limited terrain, and the gong show that hit the slopes a half hour after opening

Specs

188, 23 waist, 13/14/15 sidecut, built for a big person, myself. 20 1/2" stance, 45deg back, 53 front

First impressions

stiff nose, softer in the middle and the tail

I had Bruce build this as a crud buster/soft groom/pow/inbetween board, some thing to fill the gap between my racerboy boards, and my 187 wide tanker. With 39.5"(1 meter for you Canucks, eh)of snow falling in the last few days, I figured that these where perfect conditions for the board. The groom was surprisingly firm, and had I known that was the case, I would have grabbed something a little narrower, and more racy. I didn't need to. Set the board on edge, and it engages, and it holds like a fat cop on a doughnut.

The ride is nice and quiet, and edge transitions are really easy for a stick this wide, it does not feel like I am on the Exxon Valdez

Synopsis for day 1:

Me likey:D:biggthump

Thanks Bruce

• Haha 1

such cool graphics....I mean, wicked cool graphics!

I have loved this board since you put the pic up in the new board thread.

Thanks, but I stole them from my dash board:

http://www.amazon.com/Carmate-Natures-FRA211-Freshener-Longboard/dp/B000FJU5RE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416453810&sr=8-2&keywords=carmate+air+freshener

and Bruce's highly talented nephew made it happen. It is even more awesomer up close, it has variegated wood grain as well. I think Bruce might be offering it as one of his custom top sheets, it is a beautiful stick

mario

• Like 1

8" of freshies by the time I got on the hill, soft groom with 2-3 of fluff on top, just the conditions I had in mind when I was talking to Bruce about this stick. First off, a qualifier, I am 8 1/2 weeks out of knee surgery, so I am not in the greatest shape right now, but I was able to drive the board pretty hard, and I did not stuff, or bury the nose. While I am not trying to go into cliche land, I am finding the ride of this board to be pretty damn confidence inspiring, and really phuckin phun... In my quiver right now I have the following: 195 virus Spartan evo, 185 sg full race t, 184 donek rev prototype, and a 02/3 187tanker helicat wide... this monster might become a quiver killer, stay tuned, next up, powder day.

mario

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Need to follow up on this review. 

As I stated earlier, I wanted this board  to fill a specific niche, and it has done that wonderfully. I've had it out in 18'' of fresh with out any issues, unfortunately,  truly deep dumps have been rather scarce in the last few seasons, but I surmise it will be just fine in 2' plus.

I took it out yesterday after several days pf 6"+ snowfall, which translates to a lot of nose stuffing soft groom on one of my 18cm waisted boards. I pushed the beast pretty hard trying to see how far I could take it  before biffing and getting launched over the bars.  Didn't happen.  I turn, I left a bunch of 8"berms, suitable for running a small bobsled down, and the monster mocking me" that all you got fat man?"

This should probably be over in the all mountain section....

Bruce really nailed it with this one

mario

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I finally got this out in a deep day, 16''+ with pockets of over 2'.  The only improvement I could see is a few more inserts towards the back, or just shift the insert pack back another 30mm and it would work awesomely.  Or I could lose some weight.

Mario

• Like 1