Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2014/15

BlueB

Good one :)

News of the day: Midway should run more often this year and for sure on Sundays. Ski Club has dome a new deal with the mountain to use it more for trainings. Also, the huge rock, from mid Bowen to Midway, has been blasted away for smoother transition.

Edited by BlueB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The solitary run down Jasey Jay is in semi-acceptable condition-a narrow strip of Spring like corn snow. Maya and I got 10 runs in from 1000-1130 this morning, before the waiting lines at the bottom of the lift became too long.

Unless we get a dump of new snow, it's going to be a very hectic Xmas week- the Xmas crowds are going to beat the heck out of this luge run. There were a lot of people sprawled out on the shoulder by 1100.

Rumor has it that Whistler/Blackcomb is in good shape- I might break my own rules this Xmas season and go up to Whistler mid week. Mt. Baker is still waiting to open up for the season as well.

Keep your fingers crossed for more snow!

Geo

Rumor has it that Whistler/Blackcomb is in good shape- I might break my own rules this Xmas season and go up to Whistler mid week. Mt. Baker is still waiting to open up for the season as well.

Geo

True. Was cruising symphony and it was shin-deep off the groom. Trees are looking good, too. I saw many people up on the ridge off flute summit, more than usual, because the snow was good. The groomers were just full of that chalky kind of snow that makes for some very good turns. No line-ups!

I'll check out blackcomb this weekend and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Cypress,New Years eve..

Pretty darn good considering the past couple weeks!

Good snow wall to wall off eagle chair,didn't try lions at all but it kept the crowds off eagle. Not busy at all!

Only sketchy areas were on windjammer so it's worth going.

Didn't take the alpine set up,maybe tomorrow?

Saturday January 3.

Lifts opened at 8:50. Snow off Eagle Chair was full-width. Coverage was good with the occasional pebble showing. Good firm softpacked hero corduroy. Crowd was non-existent for the first half hour. When we left at noon, the lift line at Eagle was about 5 minutes.

Didn't try the Lions side. Someone reported poor coverage on Collins.

Tomorrow looks to be a good day.

Sunday January 4.

Weapon of the day: Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm pow stick.

Mostly 4" fresh & dry over groomed. It was snowing heavily throughout the morning. Vis was a little flat.

The less popular runs were knee-deep!!!

The freezing level soars to over 2000, 3000 metres for the next several days with rain starting tomorrow in the alpine. That might be it for this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Tue, Jan 13, Cypress 

Sasha and me made the trip, without too high expectations. Yet, we were rewarded with nice sunshine above the city fog and no crowd. Snow was just so-so, but bearable. JJA had very loose and a bit chunky over fim surface, Panorama was in the better condition. Everything softened/corned in the PM. Windjammer held the best, but had lots of loose rocks. 

Sasha made very good progress in his riding in my absence and also since this morning! 

Weapons: 2 Nideckers + WCRM 173 with Vist. 

Edited by BlueB