Note to New Members ×

SES 15 - are you coming?

Michelle

Finally got myself all booked up, despite severe procrastination - giving chalet lisl a go this year, we'll see how that turns out. Looking forward to doing some snowboarding - I literally only got about 2 hours of carving in last year and recently recovered from a broken fibula so this should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Google Earth tells me the great circle distance from Wellington to Aspen I'm travelling come January 29th @ 0700 is 11,930km.

However, I'm flying Wellington - Sydney - LA - Aspen with QANTAS + partners American Airlines for the convenience of direct flights and not having to haul my bags between the international and domestic terminals at LA, so that comes to 15,470km and just over 24 hours travelling time from initial takeoff to final touchdown. Worth it for 16 days in Aspen with great people. The extra week is for an anaesthesia conference in Snowmass. It's a hard life but someone has to do it!

Aspirin already started, acetazolamide from tomorrow.

3 nights to go!

Edited by SunSurfer

If you get there early, Buttermilk and Highlands are great. We got there ~45 min before lifts opened and parked very close. Snowmass sucks - park at the bus transfer lot on the highway and take the bus in. Aspen has on-street parking for a total of 2 hours per day. Ok for First Tracks, but then you have to leave early and parking at Buttermilk can be tough when showing up later.

A little 'local' update on weather and conditions, folks. Yes Corey, unfortunately the temps have been above freezing for some time now, but the snow is holding up - particularly at Buttermilk. Some awesome carving conditions out there, and the groomers on Snowmass and Highlands are great. Ajax - I haven't been there since early last week, but that was still pretty good too. So come on everyone, come to SES - it's going to be a blast! Just a little warmer than usual! :)

Buttermilk West lot rarely gets full, if you can find it ;-)

http://www.coloradoskiauthority.com/buttermilk/parking/#.VMwxVIE8KrU

Sat, Feb 7, only two cars were in the west Buttrmilk lot @8:40. This is drive in ski out! Was a beach picnic/party at 1:00. Got first chair up too

post-111-0-36051900-1423348563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pat Donnelly