Note to New Members ×

SES 15 - are you coming?

Michelle

Speaking of lodging, my wife and I will be attending SES for the first time this year. We are flying out with no plan to rent a car.

It sounds like the bus system will take us anywhere we want to go. Any thoughts on lodging? Should I be looking primarily at

Aspen locations, or are places near Buttermilk and Snowmass easy to get around from as well?

Speaking of lodging, my wife and I will be attending SES for the first time this year. We are flying out with no plan to rent a car.

It sounds like the bus system will take us anywhere we want to go. Any thoughts on lodging? Should I be looking primarily at

Aspen locations, or are places near Buttermilk and Snowmass easy to get around from as well?

Buttermilk is close by, but Snowmass is quite a bit further. Plenty of folks do stay there, it is slopeside just a bit to get back to the Aspen proper.

Two times it would be nice to have a car:

1. Getting from the airport to the hotel and back again. Hopefully your hotel has a shuttle, but cabs are always an option.

2. If you carry more than two boards and/or lots of gear every day. I generally carry two boards on the bus which is a bit of a pain, but way less pain than parking anywhere near the mountains or at your hotel!

Staying in Aspen is the easiest for transit. The major bus pickup point is Ruby Park near Durant and Mill. Aspen hotels are a bit more pricey but you have more options after riding. You need to take a short bus ride every day except for the two 'first tracks' days at Aspen mountain.

Buttermilk is on a major transit route, not too hard to get anywhere. But, you're rather isolated with nothing to do within walking distance of your hotel. Ironically, you'll need to take a bus somewhere every day as the two Buttermilk days start with 'first tracks' in Aspen.

Snowmass has cheaper lodging options, but a 20-ish minute bus ride morning/evening on 4 of the official 6 days. The Snowmass Mall is quite active/busy in the evenings. Returning to the hotel to shower/change/whatever between riding and that evening's party sucks, unless you're riding in Snowmass that day...

If you want to save lots of money on lodging, stay down-valley in Glenwood Springs or similar and drive in every morning. If you arrive early, parking is no problem. But you're pretty removed from the parties and such. I did this for my first two years - I MUCH prefer staying in Aspen or Snowmass.

Even a 'bad' arrangement is still pretty good in Aspen. They know how to cater to people and make your day go well. Note that a $169 Aspen hotel is like a $69 hotel anywhere else. They're generally pretty run down, but you're paying for the location. Expect drafts, thin walls, etc.

Another cool thing is that the valley here has great public transportation. A new service was just started this past Summer, and a bus comes by the Buttermilk and Airport stops every 15 minutes, and they build a nice new stop at the Airport. No more need to pay for a cab or rent a car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I am trying to work out if I can make it this year since the new parts seem to be working. I do have a couple of questions. The Carvers Card allows access to the Demo tent. Do you need that to take advantage of First Tracks?

It seems like I may only be able to make it for two days on snow. The banquet seems like a good time. Should I shoot for Thursday, Friday and banquet? Anyone have a room for Thursday to split? And what are my chances of being able to drive down valley after the banquet? As in what time does it wrap up and will a bunch of crazed euros be running around pouring schnapps and goldwasser down my throat? No offense to any euro carvers coming this year, I have experienced such in boating/rafting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Carvedog,

I replied to your post a few weeks ago, but Forum issues moved it into cyberspace...

You don't need the Carvers Card take advantage of First Tracks, and new this year you can get the card for just one day if you wish. Usually I only demoed for one day, so I like that option.

Tuesday is usually a off day but is the night of the Bomber party, several folks do ride on Tuesday anayway. The banquet is a good time, and chances to win plenty of swag, even custom order boards. If you got a three day ticket you could also ride Saturday, so later in the week would be a good plan. RFTA Transit can get you anywhere in the valley for free, and as far as a bunch of crazed euros be running around pouring schnapps and goldwasser down your throat, that doesn't really happen, more of the responsible adult imbibing variety. Be advised though that Colorado's BAC tolerance level is only 0.05% something the Dept of Tourism won't tell you, so RFTA is a good option.

Hope you make it!

Hey Carvedog,

I replied to your post a few weeks ago, but Forum issues moved it into cyberspace...

You don't need the Carvers Card take advantage of First Tracks, and new this year you can get the card for just one day if you wish. Usually I only demoed for one day, so I like that option.

Tuesday is usually a off day but is the night of the Bomber party, several folks do ride on Tuesday anayway. The banquet is a good time, and chances to win plenty of swag, even custom order boards. If you got a three day ticket you could also ride Saturday, so later in the week would be a good plan. RFTA Transit can get you anywhere in the valley for free, and as far as a bunch of crazed euros be running around pouring schnapps and goldwasser down your throat, that doesn't really happen, more of the responsible adult imbibing variety. Be advised though that Colorado's BAC tolerance level is only 0.05% something the Dept of Tourism won't tell you, so RFTA is a good option.

Hope you make it!

Hi Al,

Thanks for the reply. I am really working on it and just got some good news too. I also just spent six hours on snow each of the last two days and that was awesome too. sore but everything is working. I even had a couple falls doing some switch goofy riding. ( so I am regular, switched my binders to goofy and was riding switch. It's weird and it messed me up but I am back in the ski school now. Err...... Snowsports School.

So what do you need to do for First Tracks? Just show up or is it more money for the lift ticket? I am need clarification. And I would demo ride Snowmass Thursday and then Ajax Friday morning and day and then Banquet before heading back to Idaho.

So what do you need to do for First Tracks? Just show up or is it more money for the lift ticket? I am need clarification. And I would demo ride Snowmass Thursday and then Ajax Friday morning and day and then Banquet before heading back to Idaho.

You just need a pass/ticket that works for Ajax in general that day. When I went a couple of years ago, the lift passes we had were good for all 4 resorts, so if you have one of those you're good to go. At First Tracks, while we're all milling around waiting to get on the Gondola Fin wanders around and collects a buck or two from each rider that he then gives to the guide as a tip.

Unfortunately it turns out we can't make it this year despite my bold words at the start of this thread. Have fun, everybody! Hope to make it out for the next one.

• 3 weeks later...

This will be my first time at SES. I plan on participating on as many of the events as possible. (I have so

much to learn...) My wife is balking at the $70 per person fee for the banquet Friday night. For those of

you that have been before, what would you say justifies the cost for you? This most likely will be the only

time I attend SES, so the cost means very little to me.

Thanks,

Kurt

The banquet is a carver love fest. Lots of photos, videos, smack talk, food and alcohol. A great chance to re-live the week with your fellow carvers from all over the world. You need to experience it at least once.

Absolutely agree with John E. If you're going to SES, you've got to go to the banquet. And then there's the multi prize raffle snowboarding gear give-away. 2012, my first SES, I ended the night with a new Kessler of my choice! Kessler freighted it to me in New Zealand at their cost. In the past Coiler and Donek have also had custom built boards as prizes. And there has been lots of other brilliant stuff.