Note to New Members ×

This guy figured out life, and why carving feels good

Jack M

He is truly and inspiration.

I in-line skated a lot in the 90s. I used to work in Boulder. Along Boulder Creek is a concrete path that is about 7 miles long. At lunch, I would head out onto the path & skate about 6 miles in about 45 minutes or so. I found that racing-like skates with big diameter wheels (80+ mm) and ABEC 5 bearings were heaven. Skating is like carving in that it is best under ideal conditions: in this case a very smooth surface (concrete is good, new asphalt is better) and long distances where you don't have to interact with cars. The Boulder Creek Path was great for this. I shared this with pedestrians, bikes & other skaters but rarely had a conflict.

I didn't skate like this guy where I was gliding a low speeds on one leg for long distances but I did get to where I could transfer from one foot to the other, gently allow the wheels to become tangent with the ground and take the weight. When I was "in the zone" I could set down on "the outside edge" of the foot I was putting down and cross my weight over to the inside edge before pushing off to propel myself down the path. A truly great feeling similar to a good carve. Based on how many sets of wheels I wore out, I calculated that I skated thousands of miles. When you are gliding along on one foot, crouched down with hands clasped behind your back it can feel like you are flying. Under the right conditions, I think I could sustain 15 - 20 mph.

I have also skated along the path shown in the video. It is great with lots of people, great scenery and near perfect weather.

Now if I could just figure out the part about how to let go of material things and society's expectations, I can be like the guy in the video.

If you have a good venue for in-line skating and can find good skates (not so easy these days), you ought to try skating. It can become a very satisfying obsession like carving (only cheaper).

Very cool Jack. Time to get my "Outbacks" back out :)

I used to do a 5 mile sidewalk rip on big wheel skates down by the Columbia river. I used cross country poles and travelled FAST , slowing down might be a good option :)

Find something fun to do is good advice for sure. Or, "Do what you want" as the old man said.

Now if I could just figure out the part about how to let go of material things and society's expectations, I can be like the guy in the video.

Honestly though, it's a cute video, but his life plan seems to require either amassing a sizable fortune first, or not having children, or accepting a very modest lifestyle.

Unfortunately my inner ear has more expensive taste - snowboarding.

Wait! You know good trails for inline skating? I have a pair of Bont Jets which I hardly use cause there are too many scary steep downhills :(

He is truly and inspiration.

I in-line skated a lot in the 90s. I used to work in Boulder. Along Boulder Creek is a concrete path that is about 7 miles long. At lunch, I would head out onto the path & skate about 6 miles in about 45 minutes or so. I found that racing-like skates with big diameter wheels (80+ mm) and ABEC 5 bearings were heaven. Skating is like carving in that it is best under ideal conditions: in this case a very smooth surface (concrete is good, new asphalt is better) and long distances where you don't have to interact with cars. The Boulder Creek Path was great for this. I shared this with pedestrians, bikes & other skaters but rarely had a conflict.

I didn't skate like this guy where I was gliding a low speeds on one leg for long distances but I did get to where I could transfer from one foot to the other, gently allow the wheels to become tangent with the ground and take the weight. When I was "in the zone" I could set down on "the outside edge" of the foot I was putting down and cross my weight over to the inside edge before pushing off to propel myself down the path. A truly great feeling similar to a good carve. Based on how many sets of wheels I wore out, I calculated that I skated thousands of miles. When you are gliding along on one foot, crouched down with hands clasped behind your back it can feel like you are flying. Under the right conditions, I think I could sustain 15 - 20 mph.

I have also skated along the path shown in the video. It is great with lots of people, great scenery and near perfect weather.

If you have a good venue for in-line skating and can find good skates (not so easy these days), you ought to try skating. It can become a very satisfying obsession like carving (only cheaper).

I :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu: lateral acceleration.

lot's of great tidbits in there.

I'm gonna go stimulate the calcium particles on the membrane in the sunny slush at Schwietzer today, gonna get my "$100 of happiness" spring pass down to about $7 a day by closing, no neurologist's nest egg for this po' boy, very modest lifestyle it is.

these are my "good old days"

SLOMO has found a way to connect with Consciousness and knows it.

Thanks for posting this.

Coincidentally I've been reading a lot on Consciousness

Slomo gets it ... consumerism along with other things and how they occupy the mind...preventing a state of 'divinty' as he called it..which I call Consciuosness...it was his way of getting there but you don't have to jack everything in to get the connection. It's based on vibrational energy.

That's why I love the story of Slomo:D

Edited by floBoot

I watched this with my wife last night. Amazing how his discussion on the neurology of carving jibes with our experience. I've often said that after a good carving run that I feel blissed out / runner's high / endorphin rush, etc.

It made me wonder if there's been any research on what happens neurochemically when we carve -- I didn't find anything with a cursory Google search. It would be a great research project if there are any students / academics out there looking for something sexy.

Interesting that he gets a carver's rush from his inline skating because it looked to me like he was not changing directions much, traveling in a fairly straight line. Where's the angular acceleration come in?

Excelsior, thanks for the recommendation of LDP -- it got me interested enough to look for an LDP board and find out they're on the spendy side. I'll give it a shot this summer on the beater longboard I have now and see if I can get going.

I watched this with my wife last night. Amazing how his discussion on the neurology of carving jibes with our experience. I've often said that after a good carving run that I feel blissed out / runner's high / endorphin rush, etc.

It made me wonder if there's been any research on what happens neurochemically when we carve -- I didn't find anything with a cursory Google search. It would be a great research project if there are any students / academics out there looking for something sexy.

Interesting that he gets a carver's rush from his inline skating because it looked to me like he was not changing directions much, traveling in a fairly straight line. Where's the angular acceleration come in?

Excelsior, thanks for the recommendation of LDP -- it got me interested enough to look for an LDP board and find out they're on the spendy side. I'll give it a shot this summer on the beater longboard I have now and see if I can get going.

Dan look up the psychological condition called flow to read more.

Surprised no one mentioned motorcycles yet. I recently picked up the "sport" and found some interesting parallels with snowboard carving. Lots of angular acceleration if you find the right roads and riding in the country on back roads on a nice day is heaven. Heck, sometimes the most fun I have riding is in a big parking lot just making really tight figure 8's.

Surprised no one mentioned motorcycles yet. I recently picked up the "sport" and found some interesting parallels with snowboard carving. Lots of angular acceleration if you find the right roads and riding in the country on back roads on a nice day is heaven. Heck, sometimes the most fun I have riding is in a big parking lot just making really tight figure 8's.

Oh yeah. Do a track day and you'll know it's a sport.

166010d1258700746-elbow-dragging-valentino-rossi-catalunya-03.jpg

Car racing does it for me. I joke that I'm not sure if I ride alpine snowboards because it reminds me of car racing, or if I race cars because it reminds me of alpine snowboarding. High G-force, a somewhat tenuous connection between you and the earth, and the only person responsible for managing whatever comes your way is you.

You slid out/lost control? Figure out why and try to get better. Having a bad day? Go back to the fundamental skills/drills and build yourself back up. Both have a good risk vs. fun ratio too. The people in both tend to be pretty fun to hang around too!

• 2 years later...

was chatting with a cousin who's in texas , she just skated 11 mi. today and I was reminded of this vid and dug it up to share with her figured I resurrect it since some of you poor souls are switching to wheels with an early spring

lateral acceleration for ever

Edited by b0ardski

6 hours ago, b0ardski said:

was chatting with a cousin who's in texas , she just skated 11 mi. today and I was reminded of this vid and dug it up to share with her figured I resurrect it since some of you poor souls are switching to wheels with an early spring

lateral acceleration for ever

Thanks for digging this up!!

It is good to see my 80's neighborhood again. Great times surfing and glassing surfboards in PB near Crystal Pier. Hanging with at the boardwalk...good times