Note to New Members ×

Now that spring is here it's time to find my next board....

Tugboater

I had some great days this winter including a fantastic experience with Dingbat up at the Beast. While we were riding he noticed my board was a bit narrow for my boot size. So now I'm using boot out as my explanation to my wife as why I need another board. I'm looking for recommendations with the following considerations: I mostly ride New England small hills so lots of less than ideal conditions. It sounds like a metal board's dampness would be good but I don't have much to compare it to. Still relatively new at carving. I'm 5'11" and 190 with mondo 27 Upz RC 10s. I'm currently riding a Donek FC171 with about an 18 cm waist. So thanks for your suggestions and hopefully we'll meet on the hill.

My suggestion...You have a great ride already...An 18 cm waist isn't, in my opinion, too narrow for 27 mp boots (adjust angles). That's what I ride...In any event, I'd definitely keep that Donek, even if you decide you "need" a new board (That's one of the greats, imo)...Oh, don't let your wife see this post :^)

Your discomfort could be related to your hips being more closed because of your orientation being more forward at higher angles. Could be remediated by narrowing your stance width somewhat or raising toe heel lift...You should be able to ride that board comfortably with 27 mp boots. Not trying to talk you out of a new board by any means but you've got a good one there and it will work comfortably without booting out...

MP29 boots on a 17 cm board here so you're hardly pushing any boundaries :) Like glenn mentioned, I'd play around with adding toe/heel lift and different stance widths in order to bump up the angles and be comfortable. However, I feel narrow boards overall aren't healthy for the knees especially in uneven conditions and my next purchase is definetly going to be a much wider metal board for later afternoon riding.