Note to New Members ×

Level Fly gloves with Biomex wrist protection

Dan

For years, every time I fell and tweaked a wrist, I would tell myself that I should look into wrist protection for snowboarding. I finally got it together at the end of last season to pick up a pair of Level Fly gloves. This is the model I bought, though I found them for about $68 shipped at a spring sale: http://www.amazon.com/LEVEL-1031UG-Level-Fly-Glove/dp/B002BBIB70

First impression is that the Biomex wrist protection makes the gloves feel unwieldy. They're bulky, and your wrist flexibility is noticeably reduced, though you can still do everything that you'd usually do: open/close boots, futz with backpack straps, etc. Having said that, my riding experience has been 100% positive. It doesn't get that cold here, but I've used them down to about 20 degrees F and been comfortable. We have had a lot of sleet and freezing rain days, and so far the gloves have been waterproof.

As far as durability, I only have about 10-12 days of riding in these gloves, but they are holding up well so far, with no visible damage. Note that I am far from being a Eurocarver, but I do get my hands down in turns.

And wrist protection? (You know, the whole reason I bought them) The wrist protection feel very robust. I've taken a few falls that otherwise might have tweaked my wrists, and haven't felt a thing: it's almost like wearing armor. The only downside is that it may encourage you to "pet the dog" a little too much, to where you could get hung up and hurt other joints (elbow, shoulder).

So, for $68, I'm pretty happy. I do think that you could do almost as well using a standard wrist guard for skateboarding etc. under your gloves. The drawback to that would be I think you would lose more mobility -- the Biomex protection is actually pretty small as wrist protection goes, and you'd probably need to buy new gloves to have the room to fit a wrist guard inside them. If you're buying new gloves anyway, I think this glove is a pretty good choice.

For years, every time I fell and tweaked a wrist, I would tell myself that I should look into wrist protection for snowboarding. I finally got it together at the end of last season to pick up a pair of Level Fly gloves...

This was my second season wearing the Level half pipe gloves. Also bought the same pair of gloves for my girlfriend who just got into snowboarding. So far so good, no one got hurt yet. (knock-knock)

I can only recommend the biomex wrist protection. Have tried many other ones before but this one seem to be the best solution so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like my Levels too. The wrist protectors are comfortable without being too bulky, and they seem to work well. I don't wear them when it gets below about -15C, but up to that point they're fine warmth wise.

My only complaint with mine is that the strap that wraps around the glove to snug it up will collect snow when I put my hands down, and then you can't get the gloves off without digging all the snow out. But that's a very minor complaint.

• 5 weeks later...

I highly recommend Level gloves. They provide great protection, without being bulky like most strap on wrist guards. The actual Biomex wrist guards are removable, so they could potentially be used inside other gloves if there was enough room to fit comfortably.