Note to New Members ×

Alpine History Question

SunSurfer

Softbootsailer,

Funny you should ask that.

Sitting in my garage, waiting this season's snow, is a snowboard with an isolation plate on it. The plate has extra binding inserts significantly offset from the centre line. The bindings are set up with the feet front and back, but also side by side rather than one behind the other, and with the binding angles at ®87.5 and (L)92.5 degrees (I ride regular normally). I plan to ride it with and without ski poles. I anticipate it will carve beautifully, be able to be poled easily along cat tracks, and will be an awful lot easier to ride on T-bar and platter lifts than a standard stance alpine snowboard. Come July-August this year I'll find out.

PS: The forum seems to be getting posts out of order. Starting to wonder if it's due to a problem the software is having with international time zones and computer clocks.

Edited by SunSurfer
PS addition

I remember seeing a particular Monoski on Aspen Mt. in the late 70's, it had plate bindings with angled separated stance...it was leaning in a rack up at the sundeck and I never saw it again or anyone using it that day...wondered if anyone here had tried that approach as Monoskis had p tex and metal edges from their beginning days...Mr. Doyle has stated that he has often wished, he had thought of trying that stance back then :) as it it was 85 before snowboards had both P Tex and Metal edging...

Pictures, sketches? can't figure out what you guys are talking about.

Ron

Monoski - binding centres on a single line perpendicular to the length of the ski.

Alpine snowboard/Skwal - binding centres on a single line along the length of the ski.

"Plankenstein" concept - binding centres on the opposite corners of a rectangle approx. 50cm long and 6-8+cm plus wide (how wide depends on your board/plate/bindings).

PS: I can't figure out what to call this hybrid/chimera/cross of snowboarding and monoskiing.

Edited by SunSurfer
Please ignore. Thread jack.

Pictures, sketches? can't figure out what you guys are talking about.

Bob, are Mike and Annie still in town? They gave Gloria and myself a tour of the milk at SES. Just wanted to say thanks. Really nice guys.

Ron

Hi Ron, yes Mike and Annie are gone now... they are wonderful people and amazing athletes

My question was if anybody between 1976 or 1985 tried a snowboard Alpine stance on a Monoski rather than the ski boot side by side position that is standard...I mentioned I saw a Monoski up on Aspen Mt. in the late 70's with an Alpine Snowboard stance, but it was in a rack and I never saw anyone use it then nor ever saw it again...seems reasonable to assume I think that someone would have tried different stances during that 10 year period if not just for funs sake...:)

Not quite that long ago,but in the summer of 87 and winter of 87/88 I was working at a bike/ski shop in Holland ,Michigan called Reliable Schwinn.I decided that the 195cm SkiTech Research monoski we had in stock would make a cool snowboard.I modified some Miller bindings and rode it with Raichle rear entry boots for a season,then mounted Emery bindings and rode it for a couple more season as my favorite board with Flexon Comps.Loved riding it in the small halfpipes of that era;since it took up the whole transition,lol.

...My question was if anybody between 1976 or 1985 tried a snowboard Alpine stance on a Monoski rather than the ski boot side by side position that is standard...

In 1984 or 85, as an undergraduate at UVM, Jeff Caron (who later founded Catek) mounted some of his early hard boot bindings, in a snowboard stance, to a Dynastar monoski. Jeff's nickname at UVM was 'Rhino', and the board was cheerfully dubbed the 'Rhino-Star'.

Jeff brought his board to Sugarbush, way before snowboarding was allowed on the slopes. When he tried to board the lift he was stopped and informed that snowboarding was not allowed. He promptly responded that he wasn't snowboarding, and pointed at the board's topsheet graphics, which clearly spelled out that it was, in fact, a monoski (not prohibited at the Bush).

Apparently he got at least one run on his board before the lift staff wised up.

We all respected that.