Note to New Members ×

Ski boots

Guest Shakul

Hi everyone.

I'm mostly a skier. I'm in love with carving on skis and have a pair of funcarvers that are probably shorter than most of your boards. This has led me to believe that this feeling could be even better on a snowboard. I've recently decided to get rid of a soft board I've been using occasionally and get myself an alpine one.

My question is:

Can I successfully carve on a snowboard using ski boots?

Extra boots are extra expense and weight as well as inconvenience if I ever wanted to switch midday.

Please give some explanation for your answer.

Regards

Shakul

Shakul, yes you can ride an alpine snowboard with ski boots, however they are not going to be the most comfortable.

A snowboard hardboot is really just a soft ski boot, with forward lean options, and maybe a little extra canting depending on the model. Most people who use ski boots, have to cut them to make them softer, cause it's primarily the lateral stiffness that we want to put the board on edge.

I know someone on here will elaborate further.

The DIN interface on ski boots makes for a longer sole length than on snowboard boots. Notice on snowboard boots the parts that the biding grab onto are underneath the boot and on a ski boot they protrude a bit. This means you'd need a wider than normal board with ski boots.

You can definitely carve like a champ on an alpine board in ski boots. A lot of people do. I also ski. I have ski boots and snowboard hardboots. The hardboots are definitely better, but if you are mostly a skier, try the ski boots first. I went for years on ski boots before I broke down and got hardboots. It will save you money in the short run, and in the long run, if you want to get SB hardboots, you still can. I would recommend getting bindings that have a lot of cant/lift options. I believe that when you are riding in ski boots that canting and lifting is even more important in order to find a good stance.

There is nothing like being able to go from skis to a board without changing your boots - its very liberating. You're right that it is a lot less weight to carry around too. Good Luck!

You don't necessarily need a wider board b/c of ski boots. I have had 18cm waist boards - you just have to turn up your angles. You are a skier, so higher angles shouldn't bother you that much. You are already accustomed to a forward body position. I have run up to 70 degrees. Ski boots also allow you to run higher angles b/c of their stiffness. Ski boots w/high angles allow you to apply pressure to your edge in spite of the lack of extra ankle movement by "driving your knees." This makes up for the control that you give up to hardboots and lower angles.

The real drawback to ski boots is their stiffness. If your riding on less than perfect cord, you might have a hard time absorbing any changes in the terrain. I learned to ride an alpine board on ski boots and that was my biggest problem. My hill has a lot of bumpy terrain, and absorbing it without ankle flex was tough, not to mention my first time on an alpine board with little confidance.

Go for it. This is a great thing to do if you want to mix it up and switch skis/board midday. If your ski boots are super stiff race boots, yeah, they're not going to be <i>optimal</i>. Just get the soft e-rings with your TD2's. If the boots fit you well and you like them, chances are good you'll like them on the board. When you use them on your board, play around with any stiffness adjusters you have, and also give walk mode a try, if you have it.

Also be sure to check out the Welcome Center on the front page here.

-Jack