Note to New Members ×

'85 Burton Catalog up for grabs

Jack M

Paging Bryan...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380815334733

$_57.JPG

Looks more than a little like carving! Mark Heingartner was coaching at Carrabassett Valley Academy in the 90s. I met him because he was dating a fellow Sugarloaf snowboarding instructor, and she had no idea he was a 1st-gen Burton pro. I told him I was a fan and he was surprised anyone knew who he was.

Familiar name in the lower right of the last page...

gotta love it:

" the new change for this year is the buckle binding!"..

In 1985 the performer was already outdated by the Hot's, hooger boogers and Sims!

The first time i rode a snowboard it was on a rental Performer in switzerland..bad buttpain memories! made me stay on monoski until '88!

Nils

Yeah, my first crack at snowboarding was on an '85 Performer with the red low-back buckle bindings, in my friend's back yard at Mad River Glen. It was set up regular and I didn't know I was goofy yet. I was hopeless, and the fins made it even harder, so at the wise old age of 11 I concluded snowboarding was going nowhere.

Although the prices on some of the catalogs has gone pretty crazy it is the actual boards on the back page that are extremely elusive. These were their "Pro" or "Factory" boards of the era. Very limited production and currently only seen in the best collections. Much rarer than the "Londonderry" BB1 and BB2 boards of the late 70s. So, if you have one rotting in the garage, please let me know. I will trade you a brand new alpine board of your choice. Tinkler, Virus, Kessler, Black Pearl, etc.

post-198-141842412588_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Just a post to see if I can take a ride through the time wrinkle.

do the black team boards have ptex and edges yet in '85?

One of the skateboarders I hung with in '84 glued ptex to his '83 experimental ( like the one I bought from a mutual friend I '85) then he screwed on some edge segments from an old pair of skis. Never did hear how well that worked.

One of the skateboarders I hung with in '84 glued ptex to his '83 experimental ( like the one I bought from a mutual friend I '85) then he screwed on some edge segments from an old pair of skis. Never did hear how well that worked.

The Burton Elite Performer came in two lengths I believe, 140 and 150. They came complete with a p-tex base, metal edges and a removable metal fin between the bindings, we flipped ours upside down for traction because no one had made a stomp pad yet and they also slowed the board down. They were designed like a surf board with a concave base (hard to wax) a swallow tail and massive set back. They sucked in any conditions but powder, and since nobody had designed a snowboard boot yet, the hard plastic straps would cause your feet to ache inside your wet Sorrels. What the hell was I thinking selling my skis and buying one of these deathtraps? I now realize that snowboarding was just a fad like the wireless telephone.

My first board was an '86 Elite 150....gave it to an ex-girlfriend a few months after we broke up since she decided to give boarding a try. Never asked for it back ( was rocking a '90 M8 by then) but now kicking myself (and maybe Bryan's kicking me too ;-)). I do have the '87 Burton catalog though, and the 1st issue of TWSnowboarding.

gotta love it:

" the new change for this year is the buckle binding!"..

In 1985 the performer was already outdated by the Hot's, hooger boogers and Sims!

The first time i rode a snowboard it was on a rental Performer in switzerland..bad buttpain memories! made me stay on monoski until '88!

Nils

Ha ha, me to - except I waited until 1989, at which point they'd worked out that you needed something more like a mono than a bit of plywood to ride European resorts.

"Buckle" bindings were presumably around for a hundred years or more. Tie-wraps ("Cable ties" to Americans) were apparently invented in 1958 and today form the leading edge of Burton binding design. Still, as someone who works in technology, it's no news that the best technology doesn't necessarily win through, in the short term at least.

I guess I like the cover of that 1985 catalogue more than anything I'm likely to see in modern brochures (pictures of kiddies performing aerial acrobatics). But that just makes me an old fart.

Yes, they added ptex and edges as an option a bit later. The Blue topsheet with blue ptex Performer is also quite rare and at a premium compared to the common production red 84 Performer. You had the option to send it back to Burton or go to an "Authorized Burton Service Center" to have edges and Ptex added. I have seen a few that had Ptex without edges and visa virsa, some used a ptex back fill along the dato'd in edges. Sims was doing something similar on the 84 model. Collectors call the Sims FE with back filled edges an "84 and a half" model. The 85 came with edges from the factory.

Very interesting, as a lot of this took place in my home town. What is left of the early shop is now our butcher shop. It's amazing how many of these old boards you find hanging in people's houses around here. I swear a couple of these pro boards are in my neighbors playroom. The 85 was the first board I ever rode, I gave it one day and said it was stupid. Waited six years before I tried it again.

Back to the original reason for posting. Look at the back cover of the catalog picture on the right. Jack recognize the name of the photographer? He was taking pictures at ECES last week.

You can't image his collection of photos from that era.

Look at the back cover of the catalog picture on the right. Jack recognize the name of the photographer? He was taking pictures at ECES last week.

You can't image his collection of photos from that era.

I also noticed that the bibs the riders were wearing had SIMS logos on them, but each rider had artfully covered up the logos (either with hands, gloves, goggles, nose of the board etc):D