Note to New Members ×

On Edge Style - OES, reviews

BlueB

This thread will be for reviews and the specs of the boards only.

Any sort of flaming will be reported to moderators. Keep that type of stuff in that other thread, please.

I'll copy/paste and maybe merge some of the old posts here. Test riders, feel free to write your reviews here.

I feel privileged to be chosen by On Edge Style snowboards, from Spain, as their test pilot!

Alexey has contacted me few weeks ago and as you can imagine, it was very hard to convince me. In no time, he produced 8 boards for me and yesterday FedEx guy showed at my door!

OES-garden1.jpg

OES (http://onedgestyle.com/index.php/en/ ) has factory in Spain. They combine over 40 different hi-tech laminates (Carbon, Kevlar, Vectran, Titanal, etc.) to create the best combo for the application! More tech info and history can be had from Alexey himself, also a member here. Hopefully he’ll chime in.

Over the rest of the winter, I’ll be testing these boards, with the help of my Vancouver crew. I’ll post the reviews here, as we move along.

There are 3 distinct groups of models I’ll review:

RACE

GS 185/20cm, 12-21m, “Shaman”

SL 162/19.5, 7-12m, “Charmer”

SL 157/19.5, 7-11m, “Witch”

FREECARVE

178/18cm, 12-14m, "Sputnik"

170/19cm, “Training”

169/17cm, VSR “Loony”

EC

168/22cm, 12.7m “Bulat” M

161/21cm, “Bulat” F

Most boards have extra inserts for the Vist Plate. Race models have been optimized to be ridden with the plate.

For the record: I do not have any commercial interest in OES company. I was asked to test ride them and write uneditted comments.

Edited by BlueB

As I opened the box, I noticed few things:

The very first thing that jumped at me was the beautiful Carbon Twill finish of the EC boards (Iï'm sucker for that kind of stuff, can't help it ).

Boards look massive and solid. The cosmetic finishing touches are a notch bellow Coiler/Prior, but that doesn't bother me a single bit, namely: the finishing of the bevel of the side walls, resolution of the digital printing used in the top sheets, imperfections it the join of the tail guard and top sheet on few boards...

As far as the base and edge tune goes, I was extremely happy with the way it looked out of the box. -2 bevel on freecarvers, -4 bevel on race boards.

Peeling of the protective film was pain in the neck, but kind of exciting, like stripping your lover Can't wait for the slope time...

By Boris aka "BlueB":

SL 162/19.5, 7-12m, “Charmer”, was the first board to make it to the snow.

Alexey recommends use of Vist for it, but I decided to take it “naked”. I took it to the night session at Cypress, at -11C and mostly man made hard pack. Conditions were smoother then expected in the evening. Some softer piles here and there, near the snow guns. At the moment we do not have anything steeper then a steep Blue (JJA – Olympic PGS run) open. Few good mild and steeper Green cruisers too.

For reference, I brought my Kessler BX narrow, that has similar edge geometry, indespite of being wider and softer.

Anyways… I clipped into the bindings and launched. Holy smokes! This thing has mega edge hold! Feel under foot is extremely stable, like riding a larger board. Very damp with great tracking. Easy to vary the size of the turn, too. No “bronco” effect that was typical for the old school slalom boards. It was very easy to EC the board too. Few times when I entered soft patch piled from snow guns, while fully laid, nose straightened to fall line, but as long as I kept hanging in, it re-engaged and brought me out of the carve.

Compared to Kessler, SL 162 is damper, more stable and tracks better. It has better edge hold, but that could be effect of the superior tune that the board came with. Kessler has more rebound and is a bit easier to ride (initiation).

The feel of the speed (no means of timing) is on par.

Interestingly, the nose feels somewhat stiff, while the tail feels soft (comparatively)…

I rode OES SL162 all day long, yesterday. The little board keeps on plesantly surprising me. We had a semi frozen groomed slopes on flatter runs and the same with death cookies on steeper. In the afternoon, it started snowing heavilly, developing in full blizzard by 2pm.

The board held well in hard conditions in the morning, came to full life in slightly softer mid day and was not bothered at all by the huge snowfall in the pm! Tight turns, bigger drawn turns, any pitch, it just performs flawlessly. It seems that generous taper and early nose rise allows for this AM like performance. Nose is beffy enough that it never feels like folding through messier stuff.

I figured out how to get more pop out of it, by timing the tail load better. It actually changed the direction ~10deg towards new turn, during the pop, without even trying to do so - fun!

Still to try it with a plate...

In mogluls

Yesterday evening we had lots of the last morning's fresh, semi wet snow, compacted by people on the greens and pushed into moguls on blues and blacks. I had few runs on Panorama/Collins on the SL, but got fed up by crowd, so decided to hit the moguls on the steeps. Went to the racks to get the ElDiablo, but damn! the bindings were still set to the mega boot size of my last student Ah, well, I though, not time to waste, I'll give it a go on the SL162. So I did...

I spent most of the evening riding the moguls, on the SL, on the Rainbow, our mild black run close to the Lions Chair. And the board performed great! Just a tad more aggression was reguired then on Proto or ElDiablo, my usual mogul/freeride boards. Decambered nose and taper do a great trick in those conditions too. Not a single time I stuffed the nose or stalled the board last night. Almost a perfect all-rounder!

I'll have to convince Alex to produce a 21 wide version, from the same mold, with slightly rounded tail, few cm extra nose and just a tad softer flex. It would be a killer SL/AM hybrid ;)

By Tony aka "Cousin of Beagle":

Was really grippy on the frozen hardpack on Thursday night and Friday morning. It never let go. I found out later it has 86° edge. No wonder! It feels more aggressive than my Prior 4WD 169 with 88° edge tuning. The board initiates a turn quickly. Feels hooky compared to the Prior 4WD 169. The skinnier waist width of the OES SL 162 (195 mm waist) only feels a little smaller than the Prior 4WD (214 mm waist), with respect to my recreational riding style. I did not have any issues going from the 4WD to the SL 162. Board was firmly planted in the snow, and didn't bounce out when the surface got a little bumpy.

Edited by BlueB

Yesterday I rode the SL157 for about 2 hours and GS185 for few runs.

157 is just as great as the 162, in smaller package. I could (in my opinion) be a bit sofet overall if the target was female rider or lightweight/junior male. It carried my 82kg just fine (din't have a chance for black runs, though). Mind you, the racers are a lot fitter then old farts like me :D

My student Dennis wouldn't give the board back :D Further reviews are due by him...

Edited by BlueB

185 if very interesting board. It's been long time since I broke my metaltop Kessler 185, but talking from memory, ride is similar. OES board is damper. Edge hold is hard to compare from memory. Kessler had a bit more "pop". As far as the geometry goes, it looks that Alexey applied a bit stiffer nose and more camber, then compensated by having a bit more abupt nose upturn. This puts extra edge in contact a bit later but "autopilots" the board a bit more. It seems this alowed me to load the front foot/nose and stay there, keeping the radius tight. The tail I'd like a bit less upturned, but I totaly can see how this can work well in the race course.

The board worked well for me with both Bomber style and modified EC.

178/18 Freecrve is a fantastic board! Precise, energetic yet quite easy to ride, rock solid, variable turn shape can be acheived. Nose is soft enough for board to initiate well, while stiff enough that when off ballance one can just pressure it more to tighten the turn and bring the rider up from trouble.

In the PM it got bounced around a bit with cross-over technique, but held very nicely with cross-throug or cross-under. Not quite the performance of OES Titanal race boards in those rougher conditions, but still respectable. Less camber and more nose rocker would make it better in those conditions, but also less fun on the good snow. There always has to be a trade-off, as we know...

I also took it over few big jumps, no problems there.

Next day, In the morning I tried it in the conditions it wasn't really ment for - 7-8cm of wet fresh over ungroomed yesterday's surface. It performed pretty good! Carved the crappy snow, but a bit lighter touch was required. Stuffed the nose only once in 45min of test ride. What a board!

It has lots of CAMBER, like most of OES boards.

Edited by BlueB

The Loony is for lunatics - in a good way!

First thing that strikes is the geometry - only 17cm at the waist, but that's not all! This board, as well as the 170/19, has significant flare (reversed taper) and very stiff nose. It took me about 2 runs to realise that it doesn't like finishing the turns across the hill, nor cross-under / cross-through technique. As long as I rode cross over, presured the nose and allowed the tail to do the loading-offloading, the board sling-shoted me from ege to edge in crazyy fun pace and tight turns. I found this style of riding more suitable for flatter terrain.

Edited by BlueB

I tried the the CHARMER 162 last Sunday morning. Mounted Snow-pro at 50 deg front and 45 rear.

A very fast and quick turning board, as compared to the Prior AWD I usually ride it required less effort to turn especially on heel side.

Much stiffer as well.

Snow was soft and patchy,

I was on green and blue runs since I am a novice rider.

Not crazy about colour/graphics or metal edge at the end of the board.

Would like to try on hard pack corduroy to compare adequately.

More to come later.

B, when I asked for the softest board in the lineup, what was it that you put me on?

Patric, it was Bulat EC 161, 21 waist.

Gary, thanks for the review. You are welcome to try more. I might not be at the hill for few weekends, but Roy has the access to my garage, so you guys go ahead and enjoy the boards.

• 2 weeks later...

post-7693-141842413325_thumb.jpg

We have been having test riding days over this weekend .

Some friends is coming and testing OES boards .

Generally , boards are too stiff for us Japanese people . Our average weight range is around 60 - 70 Kg.

175GS wide , 161EC , 168EC

It is not common in Japan riding in EC style. So we are not friendly with that kind of wide boards .

Many people are having trouble change edge to another edge .

175GS 185GS

The concept of flex pattern seems like old school .We have to shift our weights so much forward while we are initiating

out turn . It is not like recent boards style .Shifting our weights too much front results unstable turn when the slope condition is not ideal.

These boards are also too stiff for us . It might be the reason why we have to shift our weight too front .

We wish to test the softer flex version of these boards. I guess it will result another impressions.

158SL 162SL

It looks like also a oldies . But it rides really well . Moving lively and ride stable . And these boards

are not too stiff . These has flexibilities but not too soft and unstable. Good SL boards.

Some of our friend racers want to use this one .

178 sputpnik (narrow one )

Great . Carving machine . It has soft flex and feel like 170 board. Very nice handling .Excellent edge hold.

Waist width is not too much narrow and easy to switch edges . If it is much more narrow , it will sucks . This size of waist

seems like great carving toy for us Japanese .

We were blessed with really geat conditions, yesterday! Finaly a right day to test the Bulat - I didn't do a justice to this board, somehow I always brought it to the hill in poor conditions.

And the board SHINED! With good conditions, it absolutely excells in what it's designed for - the agressive EC. I already knew that the grip will be outstanding and it proved again. The thing that really amazed me was the explosiveness of the board. I could get huge pop between the turns when wanted: EC-to-air-to-EC missile :D It must be all the carbon that it was built with, plus the generous stiffness of the board. Funny, in mediocre conditions, the board felt too stiff for me, in great conditions, I couldn't have enough of it! I'd probably still have the nose just slightly softer, if I build this custom for me.

I can only compare it to a Swoard G2, from (distant) memory. Swoard wins for all-conditions performance - easier to ride in mediocre conditions. Bulat wins for dynamic ride and stabillity through turn. Also, Bulat doesn't have the tendency to get locked/stuck in the turn to the point of no return that I exoperienced with Swoard when pressing the nose for too long. I assume it's due to Bulat's stiffer nose. Trade of is less smooth ride when you hit a bad patch. Edge hold I can not compare fairly - it was too long ago when I rode a Swoard...

Shortly, I had great time. Roy and Gary took lots of pics/vids, I'll post when I get my hands onto those.

This is a fun board. I've ridden it on hero snow and it didn't disappoint. It's got lots of camber, good pop, easy turn initiation.

I know it's an SL board but it is also a very capable all-mountain board. Would be nice if it came in a version with a rounded tail and just a tiny bit softer flex for an all-mountain machine. But I guess the flex is fine for SL purposes. At 68 kg, I liked how it flexed.

My only complaint would be dampness. I rode a KST of the same length immediately after and I can tell that the Charmer just isn't as damp as the Kessler. I'm not sure that the Charmer is a metal board, certainly didn't feel like it.

This is a fun board. I've ridden it on hero snow and it didn't disappoint. It's got lots of camber, good pop, easy turn initiation.

I know it's an SL board but it is also a very capable all-mountain board. Would be nice if it came in a version with a rounded tail and just a tiny bit softer flex for an all-mountain machine. But I guess the flex is fine for SL purposes. At 68 kg, I liked how it flexed.

My only complaint would be dampness. I rode a KST of the same length immediately after and I can tell that the Charmer just isn't as damp as the Kessler. I'm not sure that the Charmer is a metal board, certainly didn't feel like it.

I also like Charmer162 . It has metal layer inside . I rode it for 2 days over the weekend . We had high temperature like 10c this weekend . The snow was really slashy and somewhere were frozen .

It was really tough but I rode it comfortable .

About dampering I also absolutely agree with you .

At the same time I rode KST162 . Kessler was better than OES .

I am looking forward to its improvement . Charmer has pop movement more than Kessler .

Once it has good dampness , I think I would say it would be better than Kesser.

I can only compare it to a Swoard G2, from (distant) memory.

(This is not a topic hijack:)

BlueB: try to compare it now to the G3/G4, or better, the metal ( pro) version which adds ability/stability to cut in difficult conditions ( icy/ bumps..) without loosing versatility! Nils

(This is not a topic hijack:)

BlueB: try to compare it now to the G3/G4, or better, the metal ( pro) version which adds ability/stability to cut in difficult conditions ( icy/ bumps..) without loosing versatility! Nils

Nils, I'll gladly do that. Send the Metal and G4 my way.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2