Note to New Members ×

Im looking to get into the sport and need some help!

emd9494

Ok, so I can consider myself an Expert Skier, I have no problem skiing any trail. Recently at Hunter Mountain I saw people Snowboarding with what looked like Ski boots carving extremely low to the ground and all i thought was "wow that's awesome". So I did my research and discovered that its Alpine Snowboarding and blah blah you get the point. I found out that you can use ski boots, but its not really recommend. What I want to do before i drop over $300 on another pair of boots, is to try carving with an All-Mountain board, and some bindings that will work with my ski boots. Im probably going to buy a cheap used board and used bindings to experiment with. If its something i really enjoy I will invest in the boots and better setup, if not maybe it will be something i alternate skiing with to spice things up. Why i'm here is to ask what size board and what bindings I should look into.

Some extra info

-I've Never snowboarded

- 5'10" 160lb

- Im 19 so i dont have much money

- Since my dad and friends ski i dont want to just give up skiing for snowboarding, I would like to do both

Thanks for reading, and if what i'm looking to do is not very possible or a good idea let me know. This type of snowboarding is something I really want to try!

Since you're relatively close by, if you want to give Alpine Snowboarding a try, my recommendation for you is to get yourself to Berkshire East in Western Mass, which is the only pace in the East where you can actually rent alpine gear. Not only will you be able to rent gear and get properly fitted, but you can also take a lesson. Since you've never snowboarded before, a lesson is highly recommended.

With proper equipment and a lesson you'll be much less likely to feel like you're wasting your time and you'll get a much better feel for the sport in a safe and efficient manner.

You can contact dingbat here on the forum who runs the Pure Boarding program at Berkshire East and is also a fine instructor!

And if you've never been to Berkshire East before, it's a super fun, albeit smaller mountain. It's got 1100 feet of virtual and lots of varied terrain that even your dad and other skiers will enjoy. Hope to see you out there some time. :biggthump

Welcome! At your size I would recommend looking for a freeride board about 160-168cm. You have some work ahead of you never having snowboarded, but it is very do-able. Skiers have an easier time getting going than non-skiers. Here is one hint: the goal is NOT to reach down and touch the snow, the goal is to have the snow come up to you. Get it? Check out the links in my signature for some reading on getting into the sport. Good luck!!

Since you're relatively close by, if you want to give Alpine Snowboarding a try, my recommendation for you is to get yourself to Berkshire East in Western Mass, which is the only pace in the East where you can actually rent alpine gear. Not only will you be able to rent gear and get properly fitted, but you can also take a lesson. Since you've never snowboarded before, a lesson is highly recommended.

With proper equipment and a lesson you'll be much less likely to feel like you're wasting your time and you'll get a much better feel for the sport in a safe and efficient manner.

You can contact dingbat here on the forum who runs the Pure Boarding program at Berkshire East and is also a fine instructor!

And if you've never been to Berkshire East before, it's a super fun, albeit smaller mountain. It's got 1100 feet of virtual and lots of varied terrain that even your dad and other skiers will enjoy. Hope to see you out there some time. :biggthump

Thank you! im definitely going to look into this!

Welcome! At your size I would recommend looking for a freeride board about 160-168cm. You have some work ahead of you never having snowboarded, but it is very do-able. Skiers have an easier time getting going than non-skiers. Here is one hint: the goal is NOT to reach down and touch the snow, the goal is to have the snow come up to you. Get it? Check out the links in my signature for some reading on getting into the sport. Good luck!!

Thanks for the tips ill being reading your sig soon.

do you usually ski at Hunter?

turn your email on through the forum.

Since i live in Southern Westchester no mountain is particularly "close" so i just go to the one im feeling that day. So to answer your question, no i dont usually ski at Hunter, i usually alternate mountains to spice things up! But yea I will definitely link my email up asap.

Im also still pretty unclear about the binding situation, which bindings would i have to buy and where could i buy them?

Edited by emd9494

I was you.

First of all, don't give a second's thought to the fact that you've never snowboarded. I spent the morning on a softboot setup getting a lesson from my hardboot-riding instructor friend and hated it. In the afternoon I put my ski boots back on, switched to his board, and never looked back. Coming from skiing, riding a hardboot setup with forward-facing angles felt so much more biomechanically correct to me. By the end of the weekend I had bought a used board from a consignment shop. My racing boots were really too stiff for snowboarding but I used them anyway for a dozen or so days before springing for a pair of snowboard hardboots.

if what i'm looking to do is not very possible or a good idea let me know.

I think it's a great idea. Are ski boots ideal? No. Maybe. Sounds to me that getting into the sport at minimal cost is your definition of ideal for now. Some ski boots will be better than others. Can you get away with it for a little while? Absolutely. Will it hinder your progression in the sport? Not if you're aware of the issues, keep them in check, and adjust when you're ready.

Im also still pretty unclear about the binding situation, which bindings would i have to buy and where could i buy them?

Look for a bail-type binding. (Your ski boots won't be compatible with step-in models.) Keep in mind that bindings play a role in flex as well and a flexier binding is going to be more forgiving of user error. If you're in Lange RS130s on TDs/TD2s/TD3s/Cateks life will be a bit harder starting out than if you're in Full Tilt Classics on Race Plates/F2s/TDSWs.

I was you.

First of all, don't give a second's thought to the fact that you've never snowboarded. I spent the morning on a softboot setup getting a lesson from my hardboot-riding instructor friend and hated it. In the afternoon I put my ski boots back on, switched to his board, and never looked back. Coming from skiing, riding a hardboot setup with forward-facing angles felt so much more biomechanically correct to me. By the end of the weekend I had bought a used board from a consignment shop. My racing boots were really too stiff for snowboarding but I used them anyway for a dozen or so days before springing for a pair of snowboard hardboots.

Similar situation here. Went from skiing straight into hard booting. Except I started in hardboots for the first few times out, then tried soft boots and didn't like it at all. Never looked back. I went a couple seasons in ski boots (90 flex freeride/all mtn boot) then finally took the leap and bought used hard boots knowing I wanted to be on an alpine board from then on. Big positive change came from getting hard boots but it was still totally worth it to initially try it in ski boots despite it being a little difficult. Don't let that discourage you though!