Note to New Members ×

How did Reiter DQ?

Jack M

Reading this article, it sounds like maybe he didn't!?

http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/ci_25204098/usa-snowboarder-justin-reiter-disqualified-mens-parallel-slalom

The gates were the usual snowboard triangle gates, right? Pretty darn hard to go inside one without noticing, I would think! Or did he indeed go inside the stubby, knocking the flag off the stubby without tripping him up? Did anyone see?

I feel so bad for him. Talk about being hard core, he lived it.

Edited by Jack Michaud

Reading this article, it sounds like maybe he didn't!?

http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/ci_25204098/usa-snowboarder-justin-reiter-disqualified-mens-parallel-slalom

The gates were the usual snowboard triangle gates, right? Pretty darn hard to go inside one without noticing, I would think! Or did he indeed go inside the stubby, knocking the flag off the stubby without tripping him up? Did anyone see?

I feel so bad for him. Talk about being hard core, he lived it.

Rule is if you touch the gate with your board your DQ. It's not only about going around with your feet anymore.

Interesting: to have a rule you can't prove ! The rule I was trained on was that your board had to go around the short side of the gate panel but that was a couple of years ago.(never had to rule on whether touching was involved) I always carried a camera with me so I could snap a pic to show the rider. In this case with stop motion you can see his board go over the inside of the stubby so there was probably a track to be seen of his board going on the inside of the gate. With gate keepers at each panel I'm pretty sure the gate keeper would know without doubt by the track the board left at that exact panel. 49 second races are a bitch. I would imagine the brain doesn't do a great job processing all the information you are taking in within such a short time frame. Was the disqualifier for the first or second gate his board touched ?

Interesting: to have a rule you can't prove ! The rule I was trained on was that your board had to go around the short side of the gate panel but that was a couple of years ago.(never had to rule on whether touching was involved) I always carried a camera with me so I could snap a pic to show the rider. In this case with stop motion you can see his board go over the inside of the stubby so there was probably a track to be seen of his board going on the inside of the gate. With gate keepers at each panel I'm pretty sure the gate keeper would know without doubt by the track the board left at that exact panel. 49 second races are a bitch. I would imagine the brain doesn't do a great job processing all the information you are taking in within such a short time frame. Was the disqualifier for the first or second gate his board touched ?

You are allowed to touch with boots and bindings but your board can't. You can see at the end of the video that Justin goes over the stubby. They also inspect is base to confirm whether he did or didn't go over that stubby with is board.

Unless they video every gate with close up how could a gate keeper ever make that call ? Would his previous contact have been called as board or boot ? It looked to me like the tail of his board clipped the gate just before he transitioned to his toe side. I'm glad I'm not gatekeeping anymore ! This really makes one question ones own ability to make a correct judgement that at first seems pretty obvious.

Not trying to argue about the rules but your saying it's possible to go completely around the gate and if your board touches either upright your DQ'd ?????? I know you can't go over a stubbie and fold it into the panel. The track would show you didn't go around it's vertical position. If skiing rules were like that today no-one would win a race.

If you stop the video you can see his board goes over the panel inside the stubby. Easy for gate keeper to confirm by looking for a track going inside the stubby. The hard part is catching it in the first place especially since the panel didn't break away.

I think if the track isn't clearly inside or over the stubby, I'ld give the benefit of the doubt to the rider, as it would likely not be an advantage to touch the gate with your board and would be difficult to verify. Fastest rider still wins.

Edited by bigwavedave