Note to New Members ×

Anyone try the Arbor Steepwater?

Spiny Norman

http://www.arborcollective.com/snow/boards/view/41/steepwater

I remember the Steepwater brand getting a lot of love here at BOL. Has anyone tried the Arbor version? And how stiff is Arbors "stiff"?

I'm thinking it might be a good board for a NH almost a quiver of one. Riding softies.

Spanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just picked one up. Love it. Wish it were narrower and had a faster base (I wanted to carve more laid-out turns on gentler slopes and sometimes couldn't build the requisite speed.) But the 10.3m sidecut is just dreamy on a freeride board--from slithery, shallow carves to big GS arcs--and the flex is perfect. As some of the reviews online also point out, it's surprisingly both light and damp. Need to take it out on more varied conditions*, but so far it's a keeper. Best freeride board I've ridden in some time.

*Ridden in packed and tracked-up east coast powder.

post-6931-14184241278_thumb.jpg

I have an A-frame 162 and its great for all conditions.I wanted to upgrade to a 170,but when I saw the steep water I kinda fell in love.I'm very curious to hear how the S.W. handles on a chewed-up hill.Being in the laurentians,we don't get alot(if any) powder and the hills are pretty small.I'm wondering if the board is just overkill.

I don't think it would be overkill at all--just a different experience. It would be perfect for keeping up with skiers, as it behaves somewhat similarly (nose of the board downhill and shallow carves, unless you tell it to turn more sharply.) Condition-wise, I actually intend to use mine more as a carve-oriented board, and to use a different board (shorter, more turny) for days that will be mostly resort/tree powder.

Edited by scrapster

Thats what I was thinking of doing,but I bought a Prior boarder cross and it carves like its on rails(softies) I have my Silperbfeil,when i want hard boots and the A-frame for everything else.I'm just not sure if I want to go with a longer A-frame or make the switch to the S.W.

Have you tried an A-frame? Maybe a comparo could help me out.

Speaking of the side cut,the old Arbor website had it almost non-existent.Is that the brand new version? Or was I just mistaken?

Hi Shawn,

The S.W. sidecut is single-radius, 10.3m for the 162 and 10.8 for the 167. I did try the A-Frame a long time ago, but it was a tiny 154. I have hand-flexed the new one. My impression is that the A-Frame will be slightly softer--both torsionally and longitudinally--more forgiving and tighter turning. The S.W. is likely damper, certainly turns longer, and would be more comfortable/stable at higher speeds.

Thanks Scrapster,

I found the A-frame much stiffer than other free-ride boards that I've tried(burton and ride)so if the S.W. is stiffer,it'll be pretty wicked.

I think that I'll pick up the S.W. as it should be completely different than the A-frame,at least I'll be able to keep up with the skiers while I'm on softies.

Thanks for the info.