Note to New Members ×

What's your favorite "old school & small" ski area in NewEngland?

Marc H

Mine is Mt. Abram. I like the smell of diesel when waiting in the lift line. What can I say?....plus those two seat chairs make it so much more personal. Especially when your next to a soccer mom who doesn't like "Old Toby".

It's got that one slope "Boris" that keeps me going back there. They got some nasty glades too.

I luv that website. Mt. Whittier is my personal fav.

I schlepped my a$$ up that hill way after it was closed. Fun to find a rope tow in the woods. Creepy too.

But I do remember my dad bringing by there when I was wicked young. Prob 4 years old.

Edited by Marc Hall
Grammah

I'm going to say Diamond Hill-

http://www.nelsap.org/ri/diamondhill.html

Yeah, I know it's not in operation but I've hiked that hill many a day for some great runs.

Interesting...Diamond Hill, probably one of the first ski areas I skied at in the early 60's. Just rope tows and t-bars at that time.

Later, spent a lot of time at Pine Top. A neighbor was one of the owners and my Dad supplied the snowmaking equipment, so I had a pass for several years--late 60's.

We were members of RISKI (Rhode Island ski) club which had an old lodge in North Conway. Cranmore and Wild Cat were popular back then--1960's.

Lived in Hancock, near Middlebury Bowl early 70's and made one trip to Madd River glen, one of the most challenging places I'ld ever been. All I remember is a run that was entirely moguls the size of Volkswagon bugs.

Dave- I lived in East Midd and spent my first ten years on the snow at the Bowl. Great memories.

Marc- I only mention River because it's old school. I remember reading something recently about how their fellowship/ coop/ trustee board/ whatever want to drop millions on expanding their snowmaking because they're unable to stay open for enough days to break even. Problem is, lack of a legal source of water with enough capacity to support their needs. You know that lake that's on the other side of the ridge? It's that one you can see from the lookout on the top of Rt. 17? The're even talking about building a pipeline to THAT. I say, just let that place die.

And, here's a fun website to lose track of time at. http://www.nelsap.org/

Edited by Unicorn Poop

Interesting...Diamond Hill, probably one of the first ski areas I skied at in the early 60's. Just rope tows and t-bars at that time.

Later, spent a lot of time at Pine Top. A neighbor was one of the owners and my Dad supplied the snowmaking equipment, so I had a pass for several years--late 60's.

We were members of RISKI (Rhode Island ski) club which had an old lodge in North Conway. Cranmore and Wild Cat were popular back then--1960's.

Lived in Hancock, near Middlebury Bowl early 70's and made one trip to Madd River glen, one of the most challenging places I'ld ever been. All I remember is a run that was entirely moguls the size of Volkswagon bugs.

Whoa... I used to hike Pine Top as well as I lived not too far away! More overgrown than Diamond Hill but still ridable. You were there long before me. :-D

Crazy!

Edited by lonbordin
If someone brings up Yawgoo Valley we can consider this thread closed. ;-)