Note to New Members ×

Gorilla taping pants

Bobby Buggs

My favorite pants have succumb to many heel side hips slides and now have a hole. I heard people here have successfully used Gorilla tape for these mishaps. Anything I need to know about applying it, prepping the surface, angles, layers? Need to make it through ECES and will try to find a pair that will fit my fat ass.

LMK

I haven't had good luck for long term fixes, but it's a good temporary fix until you get new pants/gloves/whatever. It'll leave such a mess that you can never get it off completely.

Start from the last place the snow will hit as you slide over it. You want the fewest tape edges to catch the oncoming snow possible.

Super advanced ASCII art, with | being the pant fabric and \ being the tape.

Leading edge of pants

|

|\

|\

|\

|\

|

Side towards your tailbone.

(Imagine overlap for each tape layer)

The Merry-Go-Round lodge at Aspen Highlands has rolls of duct tape on what looked like an industrial toilet paper dispenser. I LOLed at that!

not sure if you did this yet, but if possible, make sure the fabric is as "stretched out" as it can be, then put the tape on. I made a beautiful (always in the eye of the beholder) tape repair once only to flex into one turn and pull it all out without the section even touching snow. Kinda obvious but hopefully I can save you the "d'oh" moment. Also - I just put on concrete crack repair on my gloves. Haven't tested it on pants yet but that stuff is strong and flexible. I got it at lowes, I think it was the loctite brand - p20 or something? The basic product though is some kind of polyeurithane goo that comes in a caulk tube. Make sure you get black or grey...don't get white.

Can you find a seamstress or repair place you could send your pants? Mind were starting to fall apart, sent them over to a seamstress and had new pieces of gore tex sewn on, pants now look like new and all the weak points of the original pants were beefed up. Reason I'm saying is because my last pair of pants I used a ton of Sikaflex and tape to repair and ended up looking like a third-rate bum with pants that had no breathability and leaked and were wet where I had taped up holes, basically ruined em.

Plastic Tool Dip. You can paint in on fabric. It will form a protective layer over the thin/frayed material. It will even cover small holes. It is several times better than any fabric (or even leather) at withstanding icy corduroy abrasion. Electrician's plastic insulation aerosol spray cans work well, and give a thinner coat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tool+dip&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

http://www.delcity.net/store/Liquid-Tape-Spray/p_802124.h_802125.t_1.r_IF1003?gclid=CN-OsMGL6bwCFRSFfgodrwkABQ