Note to New Members ×

What Is This? - Crazy powder board

neanderthal

I was looking at some local ski/snowboard companies and found this -

Any ideas?

There are more than a few people skiing this guy's creations @ Purgatory and Telluride and they always have raved about them. Not sure if that genius translates to boards.

post-12238-141842409427_thumb.jpg

Here is some rational for the design - if nothing else it looks interesting and may be good in the deep Silverton Powder

post-12238-14184240943_thumb.jpg

http://boardworks-bsb.com/?portfolio=the-freakshow-2

Edited by neanderthol
Forgot to link to mfg website

They should continue that second edge from the tip to the tail, so it would be like riding two snowboards at once. :smashfrea

Thats been done post-12238-141842409436_thumb.jpg

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?29131-Alpine-Snowboard-Plate-Systems/page17

I saw some guy ride something like this @ Wolf Mountain (now the Canyons in Utah) around 1993 - he could carve on the corduroy but sure got thrown around in the crud.

I think there are some nice ideas here. The holy grail for me is a powder board that plows thru cut up crud with minimal knee stress/ is a smooth ride, as about any board works great in untracked and smooth groom. I've added nose rocker to my Undertaker and it's a whole different ride now.

Maybe I'll get the band saw out.

Thanks for posting Neanderthal.

Update.

I spoke with the creator of this board yesterday. Really cool as he called me back not 3 minutes after I sent an email asking for more info.

He indicated that it was not powder specific but was more for the crud/chop. If I get a chance in the next few weeks I may stop by to see one he has at the shop and will update everyone at that time. He apologized that the board in his shop may be too narrow to ride as "my toes were hanging off so I had to make another one that is wider." When I asked him about the width and explained that 18cm is fine with me - he said " well I am sure its wider than that " and couldnt believe I was serious about only needing that width.

All said an interesting conversation with a nice guy.

The holy grail for me is a powder board that plows thru cut up crud with minimal knee stress/ is a smooth ride, as about any board works great in untracked and smooth groom.

Digger.....

Have you tried a metal freeride from Bruce with powerplates? The board rides like a metal board (IE edge hold) on groom AND crud, the powerplates provide some damping (and prevent boot-out), and the whole thing is plenty wide for float in any pow (mine is 26 at waist).

Just for the record, Mike Tinkler was the innovator behind the split tip and tail or "TNT" design years ago. It does provide a very different feel and super fast edge to edge, no claims of extra edges on the snow :)

My favorite alpine board is a TNT made three seasons or more ago.

The description of how it provides additional edges may have some validity in soft deep snow. If you place the board up on edge , the "Inner" edges would stand little or no chance of still being in contact with the snow surface on a groomer. Beautiful work and "Scotty Bob" has been building unique boards for some time. I admire his work.

Bryan

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com