Note to New Members ×

When do you flex/extend in a carved turn?

RicHard

Hi everybody!

I would be curious about timing some of you choose for flexing/extending their legs while carving a turn (in "classic technique", not "extremecarving" one).

While carving a turn, we usually have a maximum-extension and a maximum-flexion: I discovered that some carvers use to have the maximum flexion before the mid of the carve while some others use to have it in the second half of the carve.

i.e. watching the attached picture, you could have your ME (maximum extension) at 10, then you could start to flex reaching the your MF (maximum flexion) at 30, then you could start extending again until ME at 50.

Or... your ME could be at 10, then your MF at 20, then your ME at 40...

And so on.

Does anyone want to share his (extending/flexing) "moments"? :)

I think it could be a helpful comparison...

:confused:

("Pendenza" = "Downhill")

post-2288-141842409387_thumb.jpg

On smooth snow, I tend towards the push-pull technique so I'm fully extended at 30 and 70. But I also change things up the opposite extreme where I'm full extended (sometimes airborne!) at 10, 50, and 80. It's nice to change between the two styles.

On bumpy snow, I definitely prefer being lower in the turns so that if/when you lose the edge you have the ability to extend your legs to try to regain the edge before your chest/hip slams the snow. With push-pull you're kind of screwed if the snow drops away when you're fully extended.

Could you clarify your meaning of "Extension" and "Flexion"? I'm wondering if there's a translation issue because your points for each in the example you give seem almost opposite of where I'd think of them being.

Sorry, it could really be a problem of my english! :)

For extensiin/flexion I mean the movements you make when you want to put more pressure on the edge or when you want to reduce the pressure (to change edge). In cross-over, you extend your legs at maximum point on edge change, then you start bending them until a certain point.then you start extending them again until the edge change and so on...

Could you clarify your meaning of "Extension" and "Flexion"? I'm wondering if there's a translation issue because your points for each in the example you give seem almost opposite of where I'd think of them being.

Sorry, it could really be a problem of my english! :)

For extensiin/flexion I mean the movements you make when you want to put more pressure on the edge or when you want to reduce the pressure (to change edge). In cross-over, you extend your legs at maximum point on edge change, then you start bending them until a certain point.then you start extending them again until the edge change and so on...

No worries man.

Yeah, for most of my riding I'm doing just the opposite. Extending through the middle of the turn, and then release for the transition. The release results in a crouched or flexed position through the transition.

Push-Pull is quite awesome though (mainly because i can't do that yet hehe)

@OP: For me, it's the opposite of the push-pull that dingbat talked about. I'll be in a "down" position at 30 and 70, and i'll be in a "up" position at 50 and 80/90, where i'll probably make a transition in the edge that i'm using. I believe this is what corey talked about previously.

Thank you for your answers...

Different style (sometimes for different conditions). It's important to note that the maximum flexion (in the crossover technique) comes in the mid of the turn (while I was thinking it should be a little bit later than mid of the turn).

Anyway...counting the total number of answers...it seems that very few people flex/extend while carving... :)