Note to New Members ×

Taking up volume in a shell

Bobby Buggs

I cant say enough good things about my UPZ purchase. I know I sound like broken record but its been over 10 years since I had a set of boot that I could buckle in the lodge and forget about for the day.

Like many others I have feet that are different from each other and my left is smaller. The day after I did my thermos I tried them on the snow and had to buckle the left boot to the max for it to fit, right boot is on 2 or 3 with more buckle to spare. What I have done in the mean time, thanks to Sir Dingbat, I have a 29.5 thermo liner in a 27 shell and its working for now but I was wondering what people do to take up some volume in this type of situation.

Do you use footbeds? If not, consider using them even if you have 'normal' feet. There are thermo liners with different thicknesses (volume), I think Intuition gives you a bit more choice than other manufacturers. Most bootfitters also place a liner underneath your actual liners, mine supposedly have some thermal properties or something but its there to add 2-3mm of height.

Johnny, I tried the Flo's in the house but have a real mess on my right foot with nerve damage atrophy and a big lump on my ankle from a motorcycle incident back in the 80s. The flo's hurt due to those issues so they never made it out on the snow.

Thanks to Pat Donelly from here I just ordered some of these to try. Cheep enough http://www.tognar.com/bontex-insole-shims-pair/

I hear you. You could sell the alternate boots one by one as needed to other folks in same situation. I think that's the best solution.

I had some heel-raising issues with my latest softboots that affected me mid-trip. I went to the snowboard store and they got out their 'fit-kit' which was pre-trimmed pieces of foam or some flexible material, and put two under my heels. Solved all of my problems. Thin-mini-cell foam (like you would find in a kayak store for outfitting), or you can find it online was what it looked like.