Note to New Members ×

Favorite board for crowded days or bad conditions?

ajcannon

I have an older asym board that's pretty stiff for me, 21cm waist, probably.....9m sidecut? If it's really crowded I feel like I can still get a few good quick turns in even on greens and blues. For some reason, maybe it's the fact that it's stiff(?) I tend to like that board in crap conditions, and by crap I mean mogul'd up soft junk piles and ice in between. Also, I tend to wait for those precious little "gaps" in the crowd before I go, so with the slalom board I can start making turns sooner because I don't need as much speed. Of course, YMMV

I have an older asym board that's pretty stiff for me, 21cm waist, probably.....9m sidecut? If it's really crowded I feel like I can still get a few good quick turns in even on greens and blues. For some reason, maybe it's the fact that it's stiff(?) I tend to like that board in crap conditions, and by crap I mean mogul'd up soft junk piles and ice in between. Also, I tend to wait for those precious little "gaps" in the crowd before I go, so with the slalom board I can start making turns sooner because I don't need as much speed. Of course, YMMV

I have an old burton alp 7.0 that is asym and maybe 9m scr. Have not rode it in 10 or maybe 15 years. Maybe I will set it up and try it on some slower runs.

Coiler Angrry (9.5m) or AM VSR (10.5m) for me. Both are metal and VSR. Angrry for gentle runs, AM for blues and steeper.

I'm pretty tentative when there are people around. I don't want to cause anyone stress, so I leave big gaps. Like those above folks, that means a fair bit of skidding when needed.

I find just about any resort crowded, so I ride my small slalom board there. Works in any resort condition, doesn't have to go at Mach 2 to be fun, handles bumps and crud easily.

Obviously not good for those who equate the length of their board with their masculinity, but my car has this huge bonnet, so I already took care of that.

Shotski.

Either the Six-shooter or the old 5 spot swallowtail. The Six-shooter is made from a Rossi jumping ski so I don't believe it has any side cut at all. The old board is probably 30-40 meters. Which one depends on how many friends I'm hanging out with.

We have a winner!