Note to New Members ×

Quick Tanker Question

scrapster

The one you are looking at is a 01-02 model heli-cat/wide edition. Solid wood core.

None of the tankers that I am aware of are Cap construction, they are all sandwich construction. There were some significant changes in sidewall materials over the years though as they were tweaking flex profiles.

For me that year tanker is the most damp board that was made (for reference, I have owned every years models of tankers including the limited edition crowns) and that year along with the 02-03's were the most bombproof of the boards that came from the European factories.

Hope that helps.

cheers,

sandy

Thanks! Hmm. I wonder if the picture is correct then. This is a 172 with a 24.7 waist. Then again, maybe that was "wide" for the 172.

The one you are looking at is a 01-02 model heli-cat/wide edition. Solid wood core.

None of the tankers that I am aware of are Cap construction, they are all sandwich construction. There were some significant changes in sidewall materials over the years though as they were tweaking flex profiles.

For me that year tanker is the most damp board that was made (for reference, I have owned every years models of tankers including the limited edition crowns) and that year along with the 02-03's were the most bombproof of the boards that came from the European factories.

Hope that helps.

cheers,

sandy

Michael,

That is the 03-04 Tanker Crown and is one of my personal favorites (the 02-03 Tanker Crown Ltd, 03-04 Crown and the 04-05 Vampire Wing Crown Ralph Castleberg Signature model are my favorite cambered models). I still have the same board that you have pictured as I just cannot part with it.

The first crown model was the 02-03 and only 33 were made in both the 200 and 172 lengths. The board had the highest grade base material available, titanium inserts, stainless steel edges, and a 70% aircraft grade carbon, 30% kevlar/aramid weave (no fiberglass) additionally, the sidewall material is the same ABS found in Mercedes bumpers. So it was a pretty high tech and lightweight jump over the white 02-03 standard model tanker.

Many of these advances made it into all of the following years boards, so if you found a new one that is awesome and I hope that you enjoy it.

cheers,

sandy

Thanks again Sandy. We appreciate your dept of knowledge. We have been "Schooled" Tanker style :)

Hope all is well, have you got a chance to try out your newest build yet?

Bryan

Hey Bryan,

Sadly, I have not been able to try the newest build yet as my trip limited me on what I could bring with me...Did get to go ride at Mont Tremblant, Quebec and at Attitash, NH as well as Killington, VT while I was over there for training but went a bit old school for the boards (boards are in pics).

Am visiting a Tanker buddy near Tahoe for this week and am finally going to ride a tanker for the next few days. His boys decided to jump on and help get the gear ready. Hope you are well.

cheers,

sandy

post-420-141842408799_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842408801_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842408803_thumb.jpg

Okay. Looks like the 01-02's were indeed cap construction :( Not exactly what I was expecting.

NO NO NO!!! None of the Tankers were cap construction, all were sandwich. 01-02, 02-03, and 03-04 season boards were probably the best to come out of Europe. The new rockered Tankers are good quality boards but are produced off a different "shore".

Ok, the mystery deepens then. I pulled the following old pics off of Bomber. The broken, black board is supposedly an 00-01 tanker. The white one is the model that I found available--01-02. Still, I hope you're right!

Very different boards. Both good, just built very different. The top board had foam in it if I recall correctly. The lower photo is wood core.

Defer to anything Sandy says on the matter. You will NOT find anyone more knowledgeable when it comes to Rad-Air Tankers , maybe Harry :) would be.

Sandy, I have one more quick question, do you remember or know what was the edge thickness of a new Tanker? If I remember correctly most new snowboards have 2.2 mm edges. The supposedly 'new' Tanker I bought is a tough nut to crack whether its actually new or not, but has about 1.5 mm base edge and 1.9 side edge. Something tells me its been ground a couple of times...

Sandy, I have one more quick question, do you remember or know what was the edge thickness of a new Tanker? If I remember correctly most new snowboards have 2.2 mm edges. The supposedly 'new' Tanker I bought is a tough nut to crack whether its actually new or not, but has about 1.5 mm base edge and 1.9 side edge. Something tells me its been ground a couple of times...

Michael,

I do not have a newer "old" tanker to compare, but on a brand new tanker from last season, the measurements are 1.8 and 2.0 for comparison.

cheers,

sandy

It was either foam or honeycomb - point being, it definitely wasn't a wood core.

The 99-00 Tankers had a single strip of honeycomb running down the center of the boards to lighten them up (edge-wood-honeycomb-wood-edge) and the 00-01 Tanker had two separate strips of honeycomb running down the core just outside the insert patterns parallel to the edges (edge-wood-honeycomb-wood-honeycomb-wood-edge).