Note to New Members ×

surfing background...

land surfer

i seem to have a good eye when watching / picking snowboarders... 3 weeks ago at grand targhee i watched an old guy finish his run and i immediately spotted him as a surfer... he had a nice flowing style... he rode in soft boots with ski poles, he was on the rail... no skidding like 98 % of the kids... chatted with him after commenting on his nice style... turns out he was a old surfer / skater from santa cruz who now lives in jackson... i think surfers seems to have a different eye for the mountain... more fall line ??? i dunno...

how many of you come from a surfing background ?? do you still get wet ??

cheers

Although I have pretty easy access to some lift-service summer boarding, I spend most of the summer/fall in the water. Don't paddle much when the snow is flying though. I agree you can sometimes see riders who have a slightly different eye for lines and style on the mountain that might come from another sport.

You can definable pick-out surfers. Maybe not each one, but there's a certain style to someone who has a lot of surf influence.

I surfed for years (still do, of course) before discovering snowboarding. Then a few years later I learned I could make more surfy turns on a different set-up. Haven't ridden the softboots much, since.

It seems if you ride powder, you can get really close to mimicking the feeling of surfing whilst on softboots. Unfortunately here in the mid-west, that's not an option. So I've found that steep carves and hardbooting provides the necessary fix when the Lake Superior is flat or frozen (usually one of the two).

As for style differences, whomever I'm skiing comments on how I have a different flow (not saying it's a good one!), even when compared to those on similar equipment. I tend to stay a bit farther back in the seat than a guy should, with maybe a little more Lopez/Thompson flare to the turns, and I can't help but hit the fall line and tuck under some overhanging branches.

Brian

www.superiorsurfclub.com

i seem to have a good eye when watching / picking snowboarders... 3 weeks ago at grand targhee i watched an old guy finish his run and i immediately spotted him as a surfer... he had a nice flowing style... he rode in soft boots with ski poles, he was on the rail... no skidding like 98 % of the kids... chatted with him after commenting on his nice style... turns out he was a old surfer / skater from santa cruz who now lives in jackson... i think surfers seems to have a different eye for the mountain... more fall line ??? i dunno...

cheers

Interesting & timely post!

1st off no surf background (skied b4 snowboards existed) but do have a surfy style so I'm told. The few times I tried to surf in Newport and Oahu the swimming part kicked my ass.

I too notice surf styled riders and find that way more aesthetic than gorilla stance skate style.

2nd, Intrigued by a soft booter w/poles (would love to ride w/any fellow snow stabbers) and am very curious as to his stance; alpine style?

A few local backcountry softbooters use poles but never inbounds.

Yesterday at 49*N I had a great conversation in the lodge with an older guy (I'm52) that was blown away seeing me tear up the bump run under the lift mogul skier style using poles and spinning this way & that.

Really enjoyed explaining the where & why I use poles and the stance differences that allow such.

"Why do you use poles is by far the #1 ? I get, beyond asking about stepin hardboot setup.

anyway, definitely enjoy Softbootsailer's minds in the water thread.

ps. Love milking fresh turns under tree branches.

Edited by b0ardski

You can definable pick-out surfers. Maybe not each one, but there's a certain style to someone who has a lot of surf influence.

I surfed for years (still do, of course) before discovering snowboarding. Then a few years later I learned I could make more surfy turns on a different set-up. Haven't ridden the softboots much, since.

It seems if you ride powder, you can get really close to mimicking the feeling of surfing whilst on softboots. Unfortunately here in the mid-west, that's not an option. So I've found that steep carves and hardbooting provides the necessary fix when the Lake Superior is flat or frozen (usually one of the two).

As for style differences, whomever I'm skiing comments on how I have a different flow (not saying it's a good one!), even when compared to those on similar equipment. I tend to stay a bit farther back in the seat than a guy should, with maybe a little more Lopez/Thompson flare to the turns, and I can't help but hit the fall line and tuck under some overhanging branches.

Brian

www.superiorsurfclub.com

sweet... inland surfing is something i know nothing of but it it s something on plan on doing... i ve see a number of keen folks at northshore tahoe... told my wife that i have to give it a shot... hopefully the 4/3 oneill with gloves / hood will cut it... i m sure that your waves and swell in lake superior have traveled a longer distance than the wind whipped chop i saw at tahoe... i imagine the waves are cleaner... how big does lake superior get... knee to chest high max ?? i m going to check out your club link soon... haven t had a chance yet... great stuff..

go the surfers !!

Interesting & timely post!

1st off no surf background (skied b4 snowboards existed) but do have a surfy style so I'm told. The few times I tried to surf in newport and honolulu the swimming part kicked my ass.

I too notice surf styled riders and find that way more aesthetic than gorilla stance skate style.

2nd, Intrigued by a soft booter w/poles (would love to ride w/any fellow snow stabbers) and am very curious as to his stance; alpine style?

A few local backcountry softbooters use poles but never inbounds.

Yesterday at 49*N I had a great conversation in the lodge with an older guy (I'm52) that was blown away seeing me tear up the bump run under the lift mogul skier style using poles and spinning this way & that.

Really enjoyed explaining the where & why I use poles and the stance differences that allow such.

"Why do you use poles is by far the #1 ? I get, beyond asking about stepin hardboot setup.

anyway, definitely enjoy Softbootsailer's minds in the water thread.

ps. Love milking fresh turns under tree branches.

yep, surf fitness is one of those thing you either have or don t... me at the moment the latter... i like beer... i m good for about 3 hours these days then i need a nanna nap :)

the soft booter i saw had + F/ R binding angles... extreme compared to my 21 / 9... but nothing compared to you hard boot nutters !! he was maybe at 39 - 36 / 18 or so ??? not sure... the poles confused me also but i actually saw two soft boot boarders running them... maybe it has something to do with the flat rep of grand targhee... whatever the reason this old santa cruz local i saw had the board and turns dialled... look like he was born on the thing...

fresh turns under branches... that s the reason i wake up in the mornings... :)

cheers

cheers

Been Surfing in SC for decades and carving the Lake Tahoe area for maybe 14 yrs. Makes me curious if he is one of the SC crew that moved away around 1995.

I surf maybe 3 days a week. Snow is falling in the West so carving too.

i can t remember his name jim... if i recall correctly you re right... he left around 95... lives in jackson now.. cool guy for sure... he mentioned he rode for SC skateboards back in the cup and cone bearing days..

i ll be in SC the week of the 3rd of march jim... wanna get a wave ??