Club membership open: looking for 31 BOL members

mikel45

Club Name = The OK Club

Mantra = "It's OK"

Examples:

1) You still think a jug of draft beer costs $8 - "It's OK !"

2) You feel awkward attempting fist bumps - "It's OK !"

3) The chair-lift sags closer to the hill at your end - "It's OK !"

4) You have multiple pairs of reading glasses yet can't remember or find a single pair - "It's OK !"

How to join: post in thread = automatic membership

Edited by mikel45

Yup, my mind keeps telling me that I'm 30-years-old, the body tells me quite a different story. Started going regularly to gym. Added specific exercises in the fall to get prepared for carving season. This year I've realized I'm as stiff as couple of my skwals - seriously thinking of adding yoga. In the meantime, stretching exercises beforehand and plenty of recoup (sleeping) time day after visiting the hill (I call it meditation). Times they are a changing.

As a personal trainer specializing in corrective exercise I can say that stretching before you go snowboarding can be the opposite of what you want to be doing. You could be stretching the muscles that are tight in order to protect your body and basically you're telling them to shut down so when you go out those muscles that were tight in order to protect joints don't work properly making other muscles tight instead. Chances are good that if you sit a lot for work (or if you bike/have biked a lot) your hip flexor muscles are very tight and your leg extension muscles like your glutes aren't working how they should be. This is actually the case for a lot of Americans due to the sedentary nature of our work. I can send you a rudimentary program that may not be tailored specifically to you but it should broadly address that problem if you would like. It may help with some of the stiffness afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a personal trainer specializing in corrective exercise I can say that stretching before you go snowboarding can be the opposite of what you want to be doing. You could be stretching the muscles that are tight in order to protect your body and basically you're telling them to shut down so when you go out those muscles that were tight in order to protect joints don't work properly making other muscles tight instead. Chances are good that if you sit a lot for work (or if you bike/have biked a lot) your hip flexor muscles are very tight and your leg extension muscles like your glutes aren't working how they should be. This is actually the case for a lot of Americans due to the sedentary nature of our work. I can send you a rudimentary program that may not be tailored specifically to you but it should broadly address that problem if you would like. It may help with some of the stiffness afterward.

I'm not in this age club yet, but I do drive a desk, a phone, and a mouse all day for work. I'd love to get this program! My email is my username @yahoo.com. Thanks!

been in the club for a couple yrs now and the shampoo usage is about the same as when I quit getting haircuts in '86,maybe if you didn't keep cutting it off it wouldn't leave;)

(grandpa had most of his hair till the end)

I'm a lot slower to get up off my knees these days but a focus on developing an effortless technique refined over 30 yrs lets me get away with being lazy & out of shape:eplus2:

Those sliders that Richard Spector was holding on the photo above were invented by Boone Lennon, U.S.A. alpine ski team coach back in mid 80s. Here is a nice short video featuring Boone Lennon.

http://vimeo.com/7628238

Source: Originally post by lonbordin within the skwal thread - thanks

Enjoy!

Edited by mikel45

As a personal trainer specializing in corrective exercise....

Oh! Good stuff! I'm a few months shy of club membership, but I went to a trainer who did corrective work a few years ago for a shoulder I had torn apart. That injury was still too fresh to do much with it, so she spent a lot of time teaching me how to use my hip muscles more effectively. As a result, my knees have not hurt since I started doing the exercises she showed me. My knees took a beating when I was 12 and have been trouble ever since, so I always thought I was just headed for knee replacement and there was no help for it. Wish there were more trainers doing your kind of work!

Oh! Good stuff! I'm a few months shy of club membership, but I went to a trainer who did corrective work a few years ago for a shoulder I had torn apart. That injury was still too fresh to do much with it, so she spent a lot of time teaching me how to use my hip muscles more effectively. As a result, my knees have not hurt since I started doing the exercises she showed me. My knees took a beating when I was 12 and have been trouble ever since, so I always thought I was just headed for knee replacement and there was no help for it. Wish there were more trainers doing your kind of work!

It's something you really have to have a passion for...it's more schooling for the same pay. I am currently doing it as a hobby because I thoroughly enjoy helping others. (As it turns out, I'm not so good at marketing myself to the tune of $100/hr. I would much rather do it for free ;).

What a lot of hobby sports people don't realize, too, is that the can improve their performance, not just help them feel better.

I am glad that you found someone to help keep you from a knee replacement! One of my favorite experiences was helping a woman whose physician told her she would need 2 total knee replacements (she had no cartilage in one knee, only 50% in the other) to be able to walk down the stairs and return to her normal activities without pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk