Note to New Members ×

United Airlines baggage policies?

Keenan

I remember reading on here a couple years back that 180cm was max for a snowboard for some airline...don't remember which one though. Although that really wouldn't make sense if you have a travel box/bag measuring more. I just tried searching and couldn't find it.

Edited by Hilux

FedEx + SporTube is our choice. Shipped direct to your destination. It can be a pain lugging gear from the parking lot and through the airport, then trying to get everything into a rental vehicle.

Edit: no last minute (excess) fees at the check in counter.

You might want to check liability coverage from United for loss or damage. I have seen gear dragged on the tarmack and soft bags destroyed.

The last time we flew with gear, our equipment did not make the flight. Northwest offered to deliver to our hotel sometime the next day, driving from Denver to Glenwood Springs. We ended up waiting six hours killing time in Denver for our gear to arrive on the next flight. This delayed our daylight drive from Denver well into the evening and we encountered full on winter driving conditions in the dark. Thankfully we arrived Glenwood around 1:30 a.m. But after that experience I vowed never to fly with gear again.

Checking from a link posted early on in this thread . . .

United is not liable for damage to water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment.

Edited by Pat Donnelly

• 3 weeks later...

We flew to Hawaii last fall (not to board). If you "check in online" before you leave, they nail you with all kinds of fees. If you wait until you get to the ticket counter, they tend to look the other way on some of the oversize / overweight fees.