Note to New Members ×

step in era

kamran

I am using stepins. They are Burton's but the effect is the same, you pull the handle next to your boot and it releases.

I was on the mountain and yet again someone was missing a bolt of the intec heel and then you don't really trust your setup to ride. Another great tahoe carver got badly injured just recently cause his intec heel broke on him and put him for a long time out of action. Then I hear a cable breaking here and there and people getting stucked in their bindings.

Looking at the pro's, almost none of them uses (trusts?) stepins.

I am wondering, aren't we paying a too high of a price/taking bigger risks by this new revolution of stepin?

Wouldn't we be better off by not being lazy and bend again a little(not figurely) to engage our boots and release them? Isn't simplicity always better and safer?

I have never had an issue with my intecs. (on bombers) I have however released on several occasions from traditional plate bindings. I also do not know anyone with bomber step ins that has had any problems. I have only seen complaints on this forum. My guess is that they are rare incidents and that we probably hear the stories behind most of them. I have also known others who have popped out of their traditional bails. Maybe Fin knows better the number of occurances?

My guess is that they are rare incidents and that we probably hear the stories behind most of them.

Phil,

That may indeed be the case. I see some are taking a few points of my initial post and react to them in an isolated fashion. I was merely trying to think out loud and intended to get some brain storming on this one. So thanks Phil for adding some general substance to the whole post. I think you are right and Fin would have a better picture of this issue (whether he finds it worthy of reacting to is something else since this has been partly covered in the past). Again I am using stepins myself and never had a problem with them. but I firmly believe that an extra vulnerable piece in any given mechanical device (intec heels in this case) could only enhance the risk of malfunction of the whole setup.

I've had my ancient Sno-Pros pop open at a most unfortuitous time while laying down a carve. Windmilling with one leg strapped to an alpine board is not recommended.

My Burton Physics have never had a problem other than being difficult to release at times. I've solved that problem by pressing my weight to the outside of the boot when pulling up the lanyard.

My Burton Physics have never had a problem other than being difficult to release at times. I've solved that problem by pressing my weight to the outside of the boot when pulling up the lanyard.

Great. That's what I'm doing with my physics and it works perfect.

I've come out of conventional bindings before, once both feet at the same time. (Burton's) I've never come out of Bomber Step-ins once properly engaged. Always listen for that satisfying "ping" sound when engaging the pins. If you don't hear it, give it a second check. There have been times when ice build-up on the heel has prevented proper allignment of the pins leading me to believe I was in when I wasn't. Also, I've never tested the theory but I've always thought that if the toe ever came free the pins would probably still hold me in at least until I came to a stop. Anyone ever experience that situation?

I ripped my bindings right off my old Look board in the old days when you had to drill and tap your board to accept bindings. I think that inserts have greatly reduced those type of injuries, but I am sure some people can rip out inserts if they try hard enough.

I had the original Burton Race Plate step-ins, and rode them one day. (OR I at least tried to). They kept popping out. Big design flaw with regards to the proper spring strength IMO. Took quite a bit of time to navigate from the top of Sugarloaf to the bottom that day, not to mention not being to ride the rest of the day. Biggest POS binding I had or have ever owned. The Burton rep couldn't get me some regular race plates, so I ended up with the Burton rental Race Plates.

I never had a problem with any of my Burton "traditional" race plates, other than one of the plastic thingys cracking on the toe bale. More of an inconvenience for that day than anything else, but replaced it as soon as I got home.

But based on 2 strikes now with Burton, and having read about other's difficulties with Burton Race Plates, I decided to switch to TD's last year, especially considering I'm 6'3" and 250 LBS. I'm switching over to intecs on my TD's as soon as I get my new boots. The regular TD 1's have served me well so far.

Fleaman....I thought I was the only one who had experienced that misfortune! Back in the day I bought a board from a kid who failed to inform me that he had replaced all of the burton screws with alluminum screws from the local hardware store. (you'd think I woulda noticed) Long story short...I cranked a couple of turns and found myself airborne sans board! I wish I had a photo of my face when I discovered both bindings were still attatched to my boots! Each and every screw had sheered off. Very disconcerting to say the least even thogh I walked away unscathed.

P.S. Two of my three boards have a combination of bails in front and step-ins in the rear. Should I be getting nervous?:(

I was popping out of an old set of Drake race bindings I picked up for my first alpine set-up 2 seasons ago, so I started looking for new bindings. Ended up with SnoPro LTD's from Dan Yoja and loved 'em (although I had read comments about them breaking bails too) and then finally made the jump to F2 intec's last season. I've yet to have a problem and at 6'2" 195lbs I hope I never experience "popping out" again :D I just try not to think about the fact that I'm only being held in by 2 little pins and a toe bail...... :eek:

Paul