Note to New Members ×

Tracks

softbootsurfer

• 2 weeks later...

Highlands Bowl...

Yesterday there was an Avalanche in the Bowl, one person caught, but was not injured...there are all sorts of people in the back country that are not aware of the dangers...12 to 18 inches with no Patrol, doing slide work anymore...

In 1982, I was the 1st Legal person to Ski it with 3 patrolmen from a helicopter when they were considering opening it up for the public... we skied 2 lines from the far left of the trees in this pic, yea, they were Incredible runs, waist deep pow 😀 the next day, I actually saw a person in a massive slide here, I was miles away looking through my spotting scope for our tracks from the day before...at 7 o'clock in the morning, before leaving for work...I called 911, which ended up saving the persons life...I just talked with Lou a couple days ago to clarify why I called 911 that day...he of course is in the Colorado Ski hall of fame, the 1st to climb and ski all 54 of our 14,000 ft. mountains here...

https://www.wildsnow.com/avalanches/avalanche-highland-bowl-dawson-1982/

4:17:2020.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Lurch said:

Coverage still looks decent @Jack M?

It's unreal.  The mountain is basically wall to wall.  I have to wonder if it would still be in such good shape if it was getting regular use.  I think skiing and grooming (when possible) would wear the snow down faster, but yeah it does look like it would have been one of the better spring skiing seasons in history!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...