Note to New Members ×

want to get a alpine carving board?

classclown

Hello,

I have been snowboarding since 94', but the last few season I find my self board with it. Although, riding switch helps but I think an carving bard might do the trick as I love to carve with my current set up a Burton Custom X 157cm. I am wondering what size carving board I should get? I'm 5'6" 188lbs with a size 8.5-9 boot.

I would like to buy a complete set up any help is greatly appreciated.

RJ

Carving boards have been shown in study after study to be the most effective solution to this problem. You will probably want to try a few different sizes/shapes. You weight determines to some degree the proper flex and not much else. But most boards out there are built for about that weight, so you don't need to worry too much. The Alpine Carving Almanac http://www.alpinecarving.com has lots of information also (it's from 2007 or so; keep that in mind). The hardest thing for me was getting boots that fit properly. Proper fit is much more critical than in softboots (for my situation at least).

(edit) I had almost this board (mine was all black) a few years back (at about 190 lbs) and it was very nice to learn on. http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?40563-FS-Volkl-Renntiger-168-GS. You could post a "want to buy" and you'd probably get a lot of offers and advice. Many on this board have equipment sitting around that they'd sell to someone starting out. Including me, when I get around to digging it out! Ideally you'll find stuff locally you can try first.

Edited by teach
added link to nice-looking RT 168

I ride on the east coast of the USA Buffalo, NY or Ellicottville NY at Holiday Valley Ski Resort runs consist of icy or groomed.

Hello and welcome to BOL! I'm originally from Elma and still have family in the area (brother and sister are also in East Aurora). I know Holiday Valley and have ridden there a bunch. With a smaller east coast hill like Holiday Valley, you definitely do not want to a big long GS board. I would suggest starting with an All Mountain board such as a Donek Axxess, Coiler AM, or Prior 4WD. I'm about the same size as you and my first hard boot board was a Donek Axxess 162. Tons of fun, a great board to learn carving on, and I still ride it.

Getting proper boots that fit well will be key. In addition to the links mentioned in previous posts (especially alpinecarving.com), also see the boot info here on Bomber, especially the sizing guide. It's critical that you measure your feet as indicated in the guide, rather than trying to use shoe size.

The last thing I'll mention is to do whatever you can to hook up with other carvers. I realize that might be difficult in WNY, but there is an awesome week-long carving event at the end of February at Stratton, VT: ECES. Not only will you find other carvers who can give pointers, but you'll find gear demos, including boots, boards, and bindings to try.

I haven't ridden at Holiday Valley in about 5 years or so, although my sister's in-laws are from Ellicottville and spend lots of time there. Someday, I'll have to get back there.

Edited by lafcadio

but the last few season I find my self board with it. Although, riding switch helps but I think an carving bard might do the trick as I love to carve with my current set up

This was exactly me when I started with alpine in 2010. On the east coast, I was bored with snowboarding and carving on an alpine board with hard boots allowed me to fall in love with snowboarding all over again.

I agree with the board recommendations for a Coiler All Mountain, Prior 4WD, and Donek Axxess, along with the even better recommedation for a good hard boot fitting.

The three boards mentioned above are probably some of the most popular, widely available starting boards that are available in North America, but unfortunately they will next to impossible to find in local snowboard shops. Lucky for you, the Bomber on line classifieds and forums are at your fingertips...

If you can hook up with some local carvers and/or hardbooting instructors in your area, then that would be my second strongest suggestion. The mentoring and comraderie of finding local carvers to play with will accelerate your learning curve and stoke faster than anything else!

One option may be to throw some plates and hard boots on your current board. I put a hard boot to my old Burton and nearly folded the board in half that's how much more power I had over the edge. Get some snow time with one item from your system changed. Play with the angles, get comfortable with the increase in edge power, then try to demo a few boards. There's actually a lot of people riding long and stiff freeride boards in hard boots and they carve pretty damn good.

One option may be to throw some plates and hard boots on your current board.

I think this is also a good idea, at least to start with. You'll be getting used to new boots and bindings (and most likely a new stance) so it helps if there's at least something it the equation that's familiar.

The first few times I went out in hard boots, I mounted them to my free ride board and practiced The Norm. I was thrilled when I finally hooked up and took off like a rocket! :1luvu: Once I felt that edge engage and lock in, I was hooked. After I could reliably make Norm turns on my free ride board (and there was adequate snow cover), I moved to my new Donek.

All great suggestions, once winter starts here in WNY I will put out thread "calling all locals" or email a few I found in the member search section. It looks like there are 3 or 4 members that frequent the form on a weekly bases.

Thanks again,

RJ

PS: I was very tempted to drive the 6 hours to Killington this weekend, just to try my new stance. Last year my stance had my front binding at 30* and back was at 15*. NOW I'm gonna try front at 45*/30* and eventually work up to a 55*/50" set up because it looks like I will not boot out at those angles. I feel following your suggestions "to keep some stuff familiar" will work the best for me.

Also I was looking at going to the pure snowboarding event at Labrador Mtn. or ECES at Stratton. My question is do they demo the whole set up boots in all? or just board & bindings?

At 55° a soft setup may not transmit as much force as you would like it to,since your back edge will not be in line with your calves and highbacks.

The Pure Boarding will be an excellent start into life as a carver. They always bring boots to their european events, not sure about overseas though.

Also I was looking at going to the pure snowboarding event at Labrador Mtn. or ECES at Stratton. My question is do they demo the whole set up boots in all? or just board & bindings?

Joerg usually has whole setups available at Christian's event at Labrador/Toggenberg. From what I hear, a new alpine scene is starting to take hold in that area. Christian has done a great job of getting folks into the sport in the last couple years.