Note to New Members ×

Help with New Board Selection - Donek, Kessler, Prior, or Sigi

mdgsolo

Hi there Gentlemen and Swamp Donkeys,

I'm looking for a new snowboard setup for this year and beyond (I have a tendency to try and buy right and hang on to good gear) and I would love some input from those experienced with the above brands. Experience level, I would say I am very good to expert not because I'm special, but because I've been doing it for a long time although less in the past several years. I have been riding an ancient Burton Factory Prime SE 185 so it is long past a major gear overhaul. I was pretty sure I was going with Kessler until talking with the wonderful Michelle from Bomber who suggested that perhaps they would not be the ideal choice for freecarving. I know I want something long (185 at least) as I am 6'5" tall and 215lbs- and a metal core. My style tends to be a strong fluid mixture of smaller to medium gs arcs. My home mountain is Mt. Bachelor. I am very fit, so I don't need a lazy carver, but that said I don't want something that you can't take your eye off for a second. This will also be used for one purpose and that is carving on piste. I have other rides for other conditions/all mountain.

Price is not as critical as finding the right setup for me and where and how I ride and I would so greatly appreciate any feedback you can give me!

Thank You!!

I might suggest this guy from the good ole Northwest Whistler Factory..

http://www.priorsnow.com/gear/boards/flc

it probaly suits your one purpose desire - hence the name "Fall Line Carver"

I have ridden it and it loves the Piste stuff..

CYA in Bend possibly this season..

I might suggest this guy from the good ole Northwest Whistler Factory..

http://www.priorsnow.com/gear/boards/flc

it probaly suits your one purpose desire - hence the name "Fall Line Carver"

I have ridden it and it loves the Piste stuff..

CYA in Bend possibly this season..

FLC would work but for the same price you can have something custom from Coiler.

FLC would work but for the same price you can have something custom from Coiler.

That is true Neil, Bruce build great boards - I have a couple, -- but on the other hand one could have a Chris Prior FLC handcrafted in Whistler for the same price as a Coiler. :-)

FLC is a west coast built board and a Coiler is an east coast built board...our snow is different out here.

Well, I went with a Donek Freecarve metal 185 with a little stiffer flex (more like last years, Sean tells me). I really hope I made the right decision. It seemed like a little more versatile and safe choice than the proteus, but I've questioned that decision already. I appreciate everyone's input, and I'm truly hoping that this board does not want to fight with weight shifts to change carve shape and direction and that it feels more intuitive and still has a lively fun factor. I guess I'm committed now..

You'll be pleasantly surprised! The modern boards are quite easy to ride. The Donek FC is a very damp ride, easy to change turn shapes with subtle weight shifts. I was surprised how tight a 185 FC would turn if I loaded up the nose. Or I could sit in the back seat and make huge turns.

• 1 month later...