Note to New Members ×

Ebay! Paypal ! Kazakhstan?

Spiny Norman

A little off topic but...

I had a guy from Kazakhstan win an ebay auction for some climbing boots. I mentioned in the description that I was willing to only ship to US addresses. the guy bids but he was the only one who bid so I don't mind much.

The Kazakhi has a good ebay score.

Am I safe from getting scammed if I go thru Paypal?

Thanks, Spencer

No problems for me recently with the "Russian Federation".

However Ebay needs a trackable shipping method for you to be protected.

I recently sold a backcountry avy shovel to a guy in the Russian Federation. It was only about $70.

I found I had to send it via USPS Express in order for it to be tracked to point of delivery. USPS Priority wouldn't provide tracking to his door in certain countries like the Russian Federation. That cost about $60 in shipping. The guy really wanted that shovel (no longer made Black Diamond) so he paid.

The normal 2-3 day delivery was hung in custom for several weeks before it was finally tracked to the buyer.

Hello.

I'm from Kazakhstan BTW. Guess no problems here, I'm constantly buying from US on ebay, here on forums and in the shops.

You got no problems if you go with paypal. Shipping can be an issue, buy I guess he know the shipping quote.

Michelle, I don't know what means "approved buyer" in paypal, but for example, my Kazakhstan address is paypal confirmed, and even more, the US address I usually pay with(freight forwarders) is paypal confirmed too. I haven't done any actions on US address, just noticed that it have a green "paypal confirmed" next to it.

Yes, but for example if this guy is new to paypal, his address might not have this "paypal confirmed". This doesn't makes him a bag guy actually.

If you still aware of something, I can contact him, just give a call for example. Or, even help with shipping, if both of you don't mind it.

Np, just send me a mail with his/hers phone. And probably a boots weight and shipping quote as well. I guess I might help here. BTW, what city he lives in? There's likely one of two: Either Almaty, or Osmeken(aka. Ust-kamenogorsk)

Well, yep, is sounds quite werid, but I'm doing same many times. In Europe thing might cost 100EUR in US it cost 100USD. Shipping from Europe to Kazakstan is way more expensive(except Germany, they have sweet flat-rates from their post). May be it's because there's more shipping options from US, or I don't know cheapo post service from Europe.

Kind of semi-related--I just had a guy win a pair of skis from me on Ebay. Turns out he's from Russia and his bid was routed through a freight forwarding service in Massachusetts. It struck me as an odd arrangement, but I guess it's pretty common for overseas buyers to use such services. Still, there have been some problems with this company as several packages have "supposedly" turned up empty in Russia and, thanks to Ebay's policies (not Paypal's) the seller is often on the hook. It seems the other scam entails a buyer claiming that the item is not as described, getting a refund from Paypal, and returning a box stuffed with junk or rocks to you.

Good luck to all of us!

• 2 weeks later...

Things did not go so well. I emailed thee bidder and tell him only Paypal accepted. Nothing back for three days then the money appears but from a different account. At this point I'm a little leery so I say no deal.

So of course he leaves negative feedback and ebay is charging me for a completed sale.

D'oh!

You can request to cancel the transaction, which either the buyer accepts, and you get credits back, or after 7 days you get credits back regardless. You can also petition with ebay to have the feedback removed, if it was unwarranted. That has never worked for me though... you can respond to his negative fb clarifying for the buyer that he wanted you to violate your shipping policy.

• 2 weeks later...

ebay has a international freight forwarding service that you can opt into, we have done a bunch of sage rods to two continents this way, the nice thing is Ebay is responsible after it gets to their facility. it's expensive for your buyers BUT way less headaches for you!

• 2 weeks later...