Note to New Members ×

Rear leg thigh burn - setup problem?

skategoat

After 3-4 hours of riding aggressively, my rear leg thigh starts to burn and eventually cramp up. I'm talking about a really bad cramp. I feel it most on the outside of the thigh.

I'm wondering if it might be caused by improper setup. I'm sure I am not leaning back. I really work to drive the knees into the nose of the board.

Right now, I'm riding TD2s, zero lift and cant. 47 degrees front, 42 back. 19 inch stance, centred on the board. I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam and 190lbs. I also enjoy long walks on moonlit beaches and I'm turned off by mean people. Oh wait, wrong forum.

Any thoughts?

Guest Randy S.

Try borrowing a 3* cant disk from someone else nearby and use that on your rear foot. I think you'll find a big difference. Give yourself mostly heel lift (maybe a little cant). I'm almost the same size as you. I like 6* rear and 3* front giving mostly heel/toe lift, but a little cant.

Usually when my back leg is tired it means I'm putting too much weight back there, not too little. I'd try the different disk first, but if you want, you could also try a little set-back.

Originally posted by Randy S.

Try borrowing a 3* cant disk from someone else nearby and use that on your rear foot. I think you'll find a big difference. Give yourself mostly heel lift (maybe a little cant). I'm almost the same size as you. I like 6* rear and 3* front giving mostly heel/toe lift, but a little cant.

Usually when my back leg is tired it means I'm putting too much weight back there, not too little. I'd try the different disk first, but if you want, you could also try a little set-back.

I would not do that. Actually, you can get situation even worse with adding heel lift on sore leg. The pain is caused by squat position already. That's when thigh works the most.

Originally posted by skategoat

After 3-4 hours of riding aggressively, my rear leg thigh starts to burn and eventually cramp up. I'm talking about a really bad cramp. I feel it most on the outside of the thigh.

I'm wondering if it might be caused by improper setup. I'm sure I am not leaning back. I really work to drive the knees into the nose of the board.

Right now, I'm riding TD2s, zero lift and cant. 47 degrees front, 42 back. 19 inch stance, centred on the board. I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam and 190lbs. I also enjoy long walks on moonlit beaches and I'm turned off by mean people. Oh wait, wrong forum.

Any thoughts?

I have that too. You need to center your position and ride more relaxed. How to do that? Hmmm... If your body position and movement are roughly okay then you may want to try moving stance to the back or to the front. The heel or toe lift may also help.

It also depends what conditions you ride. If you have this problem while riding powderish snow then it is normal. If you have that while riding moguls that's normal. If you ride very aggressively around speed that's normal. It is a workout. But if you try to do nice carves on well groomed terrain then this is your stance or body movement (frequently a consequence of stance adjustment).

The best way to correct is to see how you ride. Sometimes some pictures or a short movie may help. Otherwise it is a guess job and you can blame one or another advisor if some solution fails.

I find that I get rear leg burn if I'm too far forward on the board. Moving the stance back half an inch made a world of difference! Must be the rear leg trying to compensate on the last half of the carve, or something. Make a change and see what happens, certainly riding centered is not "usual". Centered on the inserts yes, but not centered on the effective edge. Oh wait, is that what you meant?

And another thought - if you did a lot of "skating" with the rear foot out, that will do it too if your muscles are not used to it.

I measured the effective edge, found centre and then centred my stance equidistant from that point. I'm going to try moving both bindings one insert back.

As for angles, the main problem is my back foot. I find I can set my front foot at anywhere up to 60 degrees and feel comfortable but my back foot is not comfortable at anything steeper than 45. I find my leg trying to twist back to a shallower angle.

Good think I bought Cateks for my back-ordered Coiler. That will allow me to play with cant and lift.