Note to New Members ×

We're having a COW!

two_ravens

OK, let's do it! Carvers Out West will be convening at Grand Targhee Resort in beautiful Wydaho on Friday April 5 thru Sunday, April 7! I am also free to ride Wed and Thurs as well if others are interested, and I believe Big Dog Dave is likely to be at the Ghee on Wed too.

Tickets: Normal rate is $69/day. You can get a small discount with a multiday ticket, but your best deal is to buy on liftopia.com where they are $55/day. There are a limited number available for each day and you have to buy at least 2 days in advance - so if you know you are coming, buy early. As a season pass holder, Big Dog Dave can get $55 tickets for four friends each day, so we'll have these available too.

Lodging: the cheapest thing is to go in on a rental house together somewhere along Ski Hill Road. If you want in on this, let me know by about Mar 18 when you'll be here and how many beds you'll need and I'll see what I can come up with. Should be able to find something in the $40-$50/night/person range. If you want to stay slopeside, Targhee does offer some decent lodging and lift packages. The most recent promotion I saw was $121/night/person. There is also a Super 8 in Driggs that runs about $60/night.

Other perks: none, except a good time with a fun group on a really nice mountain! Oh yeah, I will have copies of Carving Magazine #1 & #2 on the coffee table for anyone who has not yet seen them.

Who's coming: so far it's me, Big Dog Dave and most likely Unicorn Poop. :) In the maybe crowd it's pwrkytr & sons, davekempmeister (and maybe Ron & Gloria? maybe? maybe? :)) In the "mildly interested" ;) crowd we have Steve Pro and friend.

OK, who else is in? We've put in a order for sun and perfect groom - and more cowbell of course! :biggthump :biggthump

morecowbell_zps73101671.gif

Edited by two_ravens

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at a Stay and Ski Free package at the Targhee Lodge, $110 per night for two people, stay for 4 days/nights. Is this a good deal?

Never been to Targhee so any help is appreciated.

It says slopeside accomodations is it worth it, anyone stay here before?

We are planning on getting there on Thursday Apr. 4, and staying thru Sunday.

Boardguru - so great to hear you'll be there!!! Yes, still happening!!! Not a big group so far, but we'll be big enough to make an impression. :)

The Stay and Ski package is a decent deal compared to buying tickets at full retail ($69) and staying at a hotel in town - the Super 8 runs about $60/night, and you don't have to drive up the hill every day. But if you are interested in sharing a house with other carvers and getting your tickets through liftopia.com ($55/day) I bet we could make it a little cheaper. I wanted to give people another week or so to commit and then I'm planning to find a rental big enough for all. The prices are pretty reasonable - I'm aiming for about $40/night which should be quite doable if we can get at least 6 people in on it. You can take a look at some of the options here:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/idaho/teton-valley/driggs

The road up the hill is well maintained, but it is definitely a mountain road. If you're used to driving up to PowMow though, it will be a piece of cake. To me it's worth saving a few dollars and doing the drive every day. But some of those ski & stay packages include early runs - so that might sweeten the deal.....

Excelsior - Yes!!! Do it!!!! Would be great to have you here!!! And the timing looks quite perfect. :biggthump

Philw - coming from far away, your best bet might be to fly to Salt Lake City, then either rent a car and drive up (about 4-5 hrs I think) or fly another short hop to Idaho Falls and rent a car from there (about a 2 hr drive.) Maybe you could combine it with a tour of some of the SLC area resorts. There are quite a few flights into Jackson WY, but that's going to cost more. Jackson is about 1 - 1.5 hr drive to Targhee.

Do they do military/ veteran discount passes? Also, due to the date bump, I may not make it. I currently work weekends, but that's supposed to change in "late March/ early April." If it were still on the 21st, I'm sure I'd be able to get there, but now it's going to depend on when they switch me over to a M-F schedule.

Edited by Unicorn Poop

Hope you can make it U.P. It will be a fun time i'm sure. And you could try out that new 196 weapon on another mountain.

Looking forward to meeting and riding with you two-ravens, and my wife will have another goofy footer to watch for inspiration and helpful hints with her riding.

I'm pretty much in for this C.O.W. thing. What the hey. I really do need to explore this part of Wydahotucky anyhow. I'm in for any reasonable housing deal. The Targhee specials only seem good if one can get 2 people into the same room, and quite possibly the same bed. What's the Ron & Gloria story? We'll need some H.B. action.

I'm pretty much in for this C.O.W. thing. What the HAY. (Fixed it for ya! ;)) I really do need to explore this part of Wydahotucky anyhow. I'm in for any reasonable housing deal. The Targhee specials only seem good if one can get 2 people into the same room, and quite possibly the same bed. What's the Ron & Gloria story? We'll need some H.B. action.

Yay!!! Glad you'll be coming! For housing, so far it's just you, me and BigDogDave (he's just in for Fri & Sat nights.) To make a house rental work we really need at least 2 more, for 3 nights (most of the rentals are 3 nights min.) Ron & Gloria? Steve P and friend? Pwrkytr & sons? Davekempmeister? Anybody? Anybody? Unicorn Poop, when do you find out about your new schedule? Hoping to get this lined up soon....

It might get pretty crazy if we have both HB and Steve P on the hill at the same time - given that they are both incorrigible rabble rousers. ;)

Hope you can make it U.P. It will be a fun time i'm sure. And you could try out that new 196 weapon on another mountain.

Looking forward to meeting and riding with you two-ravens, and my wife will have another goofy footer to watch for inspiration and helpful hints with her riding.

Is your wife a hardbooter too? That would be cool - more girl power! :biggthump Hot Cocoa might still be around as well, though she and Crackaddict sometimes head for the desert by then....

Just had my Kessler ground and tuned last week, and dropped off my wifes and my Coilers today for the same massaging at Alpine Sports in Ogden today. Totally Stoked for C.O.W. hope that I am worthy to ride with the carvers that will be there.

It will be FUN I am sure.

Hope to ride with a bunch of great people there.

Edited by boardguru

Boardguru - it will be so much fun having new riders at the Ghee! And we'll *finally* have someone on a Kessler!!!! A few seasons ago, two ski racer girls came up to a small group of us in the lift line and, in a stern tone, one demanded to know "Are those Kesslers?" We said no, and started to explain that ours were all Coilers and.... She and her friend stomped off, with the second saying quite loudly and condescendingly "See?!?! I TOLD you those weren't Kesslers!" :rolleyes:

Steve, we will be mildly excited to see you and your buddy there. :cool: You might be the only hardbooters there on Thursday, but I'm sure you'll make a good impression! Are you bringing your "Angry Skier" or do we have to supply one? :eplus2: