Note to New Members ×

UPZ cuff cant probs

trikerdad

The second or third time I used my new UPZ boots I lost one of the cuff cant screws and washer. I had checked everything tight when I first got them but hadn't retightened anything. Dan mailed me a couple replacements right away but when I went to install the new one I found what I feel is a design flaw. The tapered head screw spreads the end of the T nut when you try to tighten it down. Every time you crank on it, the screw just spreads the end of the nut more,opening up the hole in the shell. It never really comes snug. And then the end of the screw protrudes through the T nut and starts eating a hole in you liner. I felt it needed a flat base screw and flat washer to solve the problem. The washer would have to be about the size of a dime so I took the T nut, screw and a dime down to Ace Hardware and bought a couple hex head stainless screws but couldn't find a stainless washer that wouldn't have to be ground down. And since the washers cost more than a dime I decided "what the heck". This pic doesn't show the worst of the T nuts but you can see what happens. Since I can only put one picture in a post, I'll use two posts to show what I did.

post-867-141842200198_thumb.jpg