Note to New Members ×

Riding at Mountain Creek

jtslalom

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mountain Creek wasn't bad this morning (Sunday 3/10/13) Me, Ken and Dave got the first chair up and rode from 8:00 to 11:00. Conditions were stiff but carvable. A slip of an edge here and there but all in all riding was ok. As always Ken and Dave looked pretty damn good carving. Ken circled the lift tower 3 or 4 times. We met snowboardingJ on our very last run. It's good to see some new people in hard boots. Nice making turns with you. Hopefully we can hook up again before the end of the year. If not then next year. Dave and I will be making a Hunter trip next Sunday. I'm sure Joe and John will be coming along and hopefully others will be interested as well. Hope to see other carvers there.

Hi, it's nice to meet you all. What side cut radius was your board that you were using?

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try a steeper angle next time. I did accidentally rode 75 degree front when first time trying the snowpro binding due to the loosening of the binding. I kinda understand the feeling what you meant by knee movement driven heel side turn. I also read that the steeper the angle the better the heel side control but less the toe side. Carpet surfing did show the change of knee play at steeper angle. It's the fist season that I was interested in forward stance, so I'm very new to this feeling of heel side turn initiated by the knee.

Very interested in going hunter, but I don't think I can stay in my ski boot for more than 1.5 hrs.... all sort of pain. After you guys were gone, I changed back to softie after 2 more runs. With my Rome Machine jib stick, now that's a noodle. Even my wife's board is stiffer.... surprise :biggthump

Do you prefer riding SL board or GS board? What side cut radius do you prefer? GS board is going to run out of room in most trail on MC right?

After fixing my boot, I think I'm gonna go for a used board.

I was looking at the Oxygen GS, but didn't know how >13m side cut feels like. I had only ridden Freestyle / Freeride boards that range from 6 to 7. I did have a stiffer board that was lost, and I do like that acceleration feeling that you get from the moment you entering a carve with that stiff nose that hardly bend. What board do you recommend? Perhaps any alpine specific board has a hard enough nose for me?

SnowboardingJ,

It seems like you have alot of questions. I can only tell you what I prefer and to be quite honest I am sort of an odd ball when it comes to equipment preferences. You must remember that I am riding soft boot equipment ONLY. With this in mind I can tell you that I ride my softboot angles at 63 degrees back and 60 degrees front. I like my back binding a little steeper than my front. The reason for this is so that my back knee gets driven into the back of my front knee. For the years I rode hard boots my back binding was 69 and the front 66. Compared to what I see other guys ride, these angles are relatively steep. Again the reason for the steepness is to drive my knees together. I like to turn my board by first flexing my ankles and then driving my knees. I see alot of softboot riders ride using only ankle only. In order to accomplish carving your board with mostly ankle flexion your binding angles are better off at low to moderate angles. One of my buddies that rides soft boots and carves using mainly ankle flexion rides around 20 degrees front and back. I believe Ken (Sict2) rides with angles around 20 degrees. I will ride with angles this low only when riding moguls and in the woods. However in order for me to carve and truly round my turns I need to drive my knees into the turn. That is why I ride with such steep angles.

Thanks for the tip guys.

I did try tuning my bindings and carpet serving for a couple of hours last night.

A higher back leg angle feels like a twisted knee waiting to happen since my stance width is way too wide for me, and I'm already using the closest insert possible.

Even now with 57f 50b and the maxiumum toe and heel lifts I can fit with the shims that came with the bindings, I still feel pressure on my back knee when crouching low. And there are 2-3cm on both my toe and heel to the edges.

I badly need a board that can fit me.

Had a terrific time on Sunday..no crowds, better than decent snow. And now, after a season of ski-racing school, my little girl keeps up! IT'S AWESOME! And all for my $300 season pass! Myself and the two (under 7 year old, FREE) kids go about a dozen times...that's about $8/person/day!!!! UNREAL VALUE!!!

Now off to Killington Sunday-Wed to wrap up the season (also ALL HALF PRICE LIFTS because of my MCreek pass!!!)

I met Gary, quite coincidentally. as he was telemarking!?

Thanks JT for the tip. I was at Stratton over the weekend with my new steeper stance. I finally could carve heel side without skid at about the same speed of my toe side.

I only have an hour or 2 to work with because of the pain, the chop up snow and the crowd. It came very nature too! I almost ran out of space after exiting a heel side turn, I had never carve that radius nor speed on my heel side. Heel edge on my back leg locked in and the next thing I know, I was flying across the hill and only have a split second before flying off course. That feeling is rad. The nose chatter without losing edge was also unexpected.

I just ordered a pair of new Intuition Liners. Hopfully, I can HB more than an hour or two before getting back into my pillow soft boot.

At Stratton, the staff at the gate refused to let us in Sunday morning before 8:30 without early morning access. Is it like this with MC? Or do they just treat us differently if we are ridding with you?

Mountan Creek is the same as Stratton when it comes to opening the lift. If you have a seasons pass you can ride the lift at 8:00 am on the weekends. If you don't have one you must wait until 9:00 am to ride it. It is great if you are a pass holder. My advice to you is to buy a seasons pass for next year and take advantage of all the benefits is has to offer. I'm happy to hear that you set those bindings a little steeper. It will definately help your heelside turns so long as you drive your turns with your knees. We will have to ride together next year. I am done for the season. Fishing and coaching my kids takes most of my time now so I won't be riding again until next season. See you then.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, we will have to ride next season.

We usually go to mountain creek less than 5 times a year. Heck, I have been going boarding around 5 times a year ever since my wife was pregnant a couple years ago.

It will be very hard to judge buying a season pass when only using it for less than 5 times a year. Plus mountain creek is 2 hours away from me and I'm on-call 24/7 except one weekend a month.

I'm sure I'm one of those snowboarding decline population. Hopefully when our kid gets bigger we will get to go more.