Note to New Members ×

Riding at Mountain Creek

jtslalom

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like we are getting about a foot or so of snow here in Vernon by Saturday afternoon. I will be riding at Mountain Creek first lift on Sunday morning. I highly doubt I will be bringing my carving board however. The few times every couple of years that we get over a foot of snow is reserved for riding the woods and bump trails. Although Mountain Creek will groom, the snow will be incredibly soft. More than likely the trails will bump up very quickly and by early Sunday afternnon there will be moguls formed on most of the steep trails. Also the woods harbor many good lines. There are quite a few of them that not many people know about. If I had advice for any carvers it would be to leave your hard decks at home and bring your soft boards. At least come with a deck that you will ride bumps and woods. See you all there on Sunday.

Well it looks like we are getting about a foot or so of snow here in Vernon by Saturday afternoon. I will be riding at Mountain Creek first lift on Sunday morning. I highly doubt I will be bringing my carving board however. The few times every couple of years that we get over a foot of snow is reserved for riding the woods and bump trails. Although Mountain Creek will groom, the snow will be incredibly soft. More than likely the trails will bump up very quickly and by early Sunday afternnon there will be moguls formed on most of the steep trails. Also the woods harbor many good lines. There are quite a few of them that not many people know about. If I had advice for any carvers it would be to leave your hard decks at home and bring your soft boards. At least come with a deck that you will ride bumps and woods. See you all there on Sunday.

Rode MC today for 2 hours. Real nice. Was snowing a good amount visibility was dropping. JT absolutely rite going to MC tomorrow and leaving my hardboard at home taking the soft board should be an awesome time......

Creek was a LOT of fun yesterday while the snow was coming. I left at 5 when it started really coming down.

Today was great too, but I left early. Crowds were growing biiiiiig. Pipeline was open. Must have been amazing for first tracks. Total sh!t show though with all the people on it.

I will try to be out early Sun. until 9:15 or so.

FANTASTIC day riding this morning (Sunday 2/10/13). I actually got to make a run before the lift opened with a few ski patrolers. WOW, conditions were insane. Almost a little to soft but it didn't get that way until the late morning. Dave, Gary, Jenn and I started at north for a few runs and eventually traveled over to Granite. We got the first run down Granite with nobody on the trail. WOW, the curdory was untouched except for our carve lines. A very cool sight to have seen. We caught up with EricJ for two runs and another hard booter named Steve for one run. Eventually the morning ended at South Peak riding with Ken (Sict2), one run with my nephew Kevin and a few of my students. All in all it was a great day especially riding with guys and girls that can really carve their boards.

Thanks guys.

I rode for about 2 hours on Thursday. Condtions were pretty good. Finally Upper Straightaway is wide enough to make carved turns all the way down. The groomers had pushed enough snow to the edge so that the trail is about 20 feet wider than it was before. It was perfectly flat yesterday. The Lower Straightaway still has the bottle neck section that is fairly tight but its close. While riding I saw another hard booter from the lift but wasn't able to catch up with him.

I will be riding tomorrow morning (Saturday 2/16/13) at North brite and early for the first chair. I think Dave and hopefully Joe and John will be there as well. Hope to see other carvers out there.

I rode today (thursday 2/19/13) at MC north. I have the week off so i figured I would get there early and ride for a few hours. The place was empty. None of the lower lots filled. Conditions weren't that good. It was fairly icy but not bad enough that you couldn't carve through it. I have been riding my softer freeride board lately to help drive through the ice. I find it holds an edge a little better than any of my harder boards. It definately takes less effort. I will be out again this Sunday morning for the first lift. Hope to see other carvers there.

I'll be there all day tomorrow but with four kids in tow. But Friday is all mine...hoping for first chair! BTW i was talking to one of the ski patrol, and he said there was a carver in the ski patrol that gets out there before the slopes are open. Anybody know what his name is? Jt, ithink you know him because they said another "really good" carver joined them after the mountain opened, on a day you wentearly. Hope there is snow left!

I think the patroller you are reffering to is Gary. He can definately set and edge and turn his board pretty well. He rides both soft boot and plates. I did get a chance to ride with him on a weekend morning right as the lift was opening. We got first tracks on three different runs that day. It was nice. If you get a chance ask for him at ski patrol. He is fun to ride with.

Thanks, I'll try to meet Gary. Today was SRAAATCHYYY. thankfully, it was only for developing the kiddies, or else I'm sure I would've cracked something on my old body. But, at least it was very nearly empty and after they closed the cab (due to wind), no one walked up from the triple to Great Northern so me and the two kids did Great Northern to Kypher ALL ALONE for a few loops. Kypher is fun wide open and usually has corduroy when other slopes are torn up. And with minimal concern of traffic coming in on my right at the bottom,WEEEE, big sweeping left to the bottom. My seven year old girl is getting quick, her race program is paying off; tons of fun for a dad! LOTS of grass coming through, I fear the end is neigh at MC this season.

Sounds like you had a fun day. Its good to get the kids out. I rode Killington today (Friday 2/22/13) WOW conditions were insanely good. I rode with my old buddies Dennis and Bobby. These guys can turn. All in all it was a great day.

I will be riding MC this Sunday morning for the first chair. As far as snow coverage is concerned, I wouldn't be to worried. There is no real threat of warm weather for some time and it looks like we may get some snow by the end of the weekend. See you there.

Killington. Very nice. I think I will be sneaking up there (without the family) around my birthday in early march, Its a no brainer with the half price card that you get with the mountain creek season pass.

I had a pretty good time at MC this morning. Very few people, so even though I got on at ten it was still cold enough, smooth enough and open enough to snap out some quick runs. After some close encounters with the human pylons at Vernon, I went to south. the right trail (from top looking down) on Bear mtn was empty and I definitely reached the limits of my speed comfort. I need an expert on the gear for some input...I was riding my 160 Burton Speed with 9.6 scr, I'm wondering if a longer board with a bigger scr would alleviate some of that "floaty" out of control feeling I had at (my) top speed. My guess is the natural turn radius is too tight when going quickly down fall line so I am not on edge enough. Still learning after a half dozen years. But I'll tell you, things were a lot less intense when i changed over to softies and flat board to practice my lame jumps. Some of the kids there are AWESOME, many Ah*&es, but talented none the less, I saw three kids lay down back flips like they were on their couch at home.

I didn't know there are carvers going mountain creek, could have use some advice on setting.

SNowboardingJ,

I will be riding at MC on Saturday morning for the first chair and possibly Sunday morning for the first chair. If you can make it there early we can ride for a few runs. However there are quite a few plate riders at MC and many more carvers. You just have to be there at the right times.

It's nice to hear there are carvers in MC. I think I'm done with HB this season. I did 2 hours Sunday night and 1 hour Monday morning and already got a bruise on my big toe on the leading foot. Pressure pain next to my pinky toe on my back foot. But so much more power compare to riding SB. Looking for new boots to replace my 15 years old ski boots. Unless I get a pair in time this season and the weather turns cold enough to freeze, so we don't have to ride slush past 10am, i don't think I'm gonna be HBing anymore this season.

I only saw skiers Monday morning though, no HB carvers or plate riders. Are you guys usually at the South Peak Saturday Sunday morning?

I was quite impressed when I saw a carver at hunter mountain last year airborne switched edge in the middle of narrow black trail under high speed. I wish more people would carve the slope instead of going straight down hill uncontrollably. Well, to each of their own as long as they don't hit me.

:lurk:

I will be riding at Mountain Creek tonight Wed. 3/6/13 at North and Sunday morning for the first chair also at North. This weekend is suppose to be fairly warm. I may try to get out late Saturday afternoon for some bump riding. Hopefully there will be a big enough crowd on Saturday day to create bumps on Zero-G and Devils Bit. Hope to see other carvers and bump riders there.