Note to New Members ×

Burton Wind question

oldkey

My son is riding Burton Winds (the green color) and loves them. As he is growing and alpine equipment seems to be getting harder and harder to get (at least Burton), I thought that I should buy ahead for him to grow into. But today I looked at his boots and in the tongue it says 27.5 - 29. The boots had 27.5 on the box when we had them. So......does this mean that the shell is intended to last him until 29 and I would replace the liner as he grows until he outgrows the shell? I'm wondering if he might "pack out" these liners this season and then find the boots too big if they are meant to go up to a 29???

Thanks in advance

Matt

Matt

all hardboots are made in shell sizes that are flexible in the actual sizing. This is done to cut costs (would be pretty hard to make each individual size!)

so....it is actually the liner that defines the size of the boot. I would think you would be able to switch out liners when necessary, and with moldable liners even moreso!

Id wait...thermoflex and intuition are the top two moldable liners

thermoflex are available here in the bomber store

intuition are at yyzcanuck.com...some shops carry them too.

its best to have them molded by a tech, but can be done at home (many have done so with success)

I believe they go on sale at the end of the season here, so if your son is ok for now...

they can be remolded up to six times...Id think a couple times would cover minimal foot growth

(heh...sure hope my info is correct:))

.....I like the idea of getting a better price at the end of the season. He is OK for now. I also noticed, though, at the recent Breckenridge race, that boots do not last forever. So maybe I can still find a pair of the same boots with a larger liner and accomplish both things at one time.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

hold on a second here the reading on the cuff of the boot is just that its for the cuff

the lower part of the burton shell comes in whole sizes for example 28.0 half sizes are covered by liner differences thats it

to cut costs upper parts of most boots are the same for a wide range of boots

Bobdea

Upon your prompting, I took out the liner and read the inside of the boot....not just the tongue. In fact, the inside of the boot says 27.5 - 28. Evidently the cuff is used for a wider range of boots. So....I should still be looking for a size 29.

Thanks.....I'll get this one day!

sizing is touchy with those boots I think due to width issues for me a 285 worked great most brands I prefer a 28

I would get the 28.5/29 shell with the 28.5 liner its allot easier to make room than it is to fill it on the part of your bootfitter