Note to New Members ×

A seasoned skier willing to try Alpine

maltvinegar

Hi,

I am a seasoned skier willing to try Alpine snowboard..

I am just amazed by the graceful motions of the Alpine snowboarder. I just think it's about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in any sport.

just few points here though

While I'm a pretty good skier, I could never get used to FS/FR snowboards because of the skidding and soft boots.

And that bothered me because some folks are advising me to master FS/FR or at least become sufficient at it before trying Alpine. But then some folks are telling me these two are completely different.

I really would like to try Alpine snowboard before I actually buy them but it's too bad that there are very few places that rents them (actually, is there any?).

I LOVE to carve in ski while feeling G etc. and I heard the feeling is greater in Alpine boards.

Thanks in advance

There is no need to master or even try freeride/freestyle snowboarding equipment before trying an alpine setup. Accomplished skiers usually have no trouble learning in hardboots. However as a total snowboarding newbie, I would strongly recommend an all-mountain carving board like the Prior 4WD, Donek Axis, F2 Speedcross, etc. For more info, there are some beginner tips here in the Welcome Center. Good luck!

Its only a game, fokket!

sorry. just kiddin

yeah, where are you? Forget soft boots...probably too akward for you anyway! but definitely find a more forgiving carver

youll want to use snowboard specific hardboots, too. not your ski boots.

oh, and...remember...alpine IS snowboarding so...if youre one of "those" skiers, well...gonna have to let that go;)

Guest stoked

ah similar okay :)

I switched from skies too and had no trouble on a Hooger Booger Booster freecarveboard sadly they don't make them anymore and even more sadly I have sold it anyway there are a lot of manufacturers selling also beginner friendly boards on the net I like to hope I have all links on my website ...

Btw I just put a few pages about Pogo Snowboards online in the BOARDS section at http://stoked.at/freecarving_boards.html

Some vintage pictures and of course great new boards from Germany there ...

Good luck & best carves to you!

Guest stoked

there's a movie with Roberto DeNiro and Ben Stiller in which Roberto's daughter is to marry a F-o-c-k-e-r since Ben Stiller's character's last name is F-o-c-k-e-r but Roberto doesn't like his daughter to marry a F-o-c-k-e-r nor does he wish to have little F-o-c-k-e-r-s around in the future

Go straight for hard boots. IMO people who ride soft boots think hard boots are more difficult simply because they can't just put some on and ride just as well as they do in soft boots. That's only because hard boots are different - not more difficult, just different.

Besides, if you have a lot of skiing experience under your belt (I did when I started boarding), there's a pretty good chance that you'll loathe soft boots anyhow (I sure did).

If you're also competent on a skateboard (able to cruise around, at least), you'll pick up snowboarding in no time. If not, you'll still have a big head start.

fokket, I wouldn't worry about learning softboot snowboarding if you are 'only' interested in hardbooting.

Honestly, I had a lot harder time making the transition from soft boots to hard boots than anticipated. I personally think Alpine is more like skiing than softbooting. I struggled until I started to realize a lot of the 'mechanics' were more what I learned from ski instruction, and applied them.(Ex. when learning softies always concentrated on "heel / toe" to turn, that don't do anything when you have your bindings set around 60*) Had to think more about angulation to initiate a turn.

Unfortunately their don't seem to be any instructional videos available for Alpine, and depending on your location finding an instructor, or people to ride with and pick up some pointers may be next to impossible (especially as a beginner).

Fortunately their are a lot of 'Great' People on this board and others that are more than willing to promote the sport as much as possible, and will go out of their way to help you and others!

Definately take a lesson. Also, be warned, you may not ever want to go back to your sticks!

JMO / jp