Note to New Members ×

Good days and bad days

trikerdad

Does anyone else have days when you wonder what ever made you think you were a carver, or even a snowboarder for that matter? I can go up one day and feel like a carving 'hero' and the next day, in similar conditions, I could do just as well with my bindings nailed to a 6 foot 2x6. Sometimes I find a reason for an off day, a stripped boot cant or a turned binding, but most of the time when I've struggled I have no explanation. I do think that most of my 'bad' days have been when the vis is poor. Not being able to see the bigger holes and bumps, or being able to discern the sides of the groomers seems to destroy my confindence. Today was a 'hero' day, but yesterday I was thinking about selling everything and concentrating on golf. At least with golf I expect to have a stinky day once in awhile. Okay, I expect every day to be a stinky day, and am surpised when it's not.

funny, I used to feel the exact same way about golf! This was when I was working at a country club though and practicing 3 times a week and playing as much or even more...got it down to high 70s and low 80s but then...now...darn close to 90s all the time

anyway...I definitely have those days boarding! Happens more when I dont ride much...just lose familiarity I guess?

BUT...when Im riding poorly, I often force myself to take a few steps back, slow down, reinforce the basics and then work my way back up to riding more aggressively over a few runs. Same with golf, actually...a few tiny chip shots, then half swings, then MELLOW full swings with shorter irons, then work up to driver and it usually helps!

I agree, I too have bad days. I went snowboarding 2 times this winter, and I've had a good and bad day.

The good day was Monday Dec 20th at St-Bruno with 2 other carvers from Bomber, nice conditions, very few people (because of the very cold weather). The boards did not glide that well, but the conditions were there for carving. The mountain is small but the inclination is good for carving. It still was a fun evening until I dislocated my shoulder. Started well, ended badly.

The bad day was last Tuesday at Mont Blanc. It was very crowded, icey and choppy. The mountain is higher than St-Bruno, but the runs are sometimes narrow, the inclination is not regular and the grooming is not very good (maybe because there was too much people). Add to that the bad lighting conditions, it was hard to see the irregularities and the mounds of snow on the icey slopes. It would been ok with a good freeride board with softies, but it was bad with my freecarve deck. I am not good on ice, and when I could set an edge, i lost it because of the irregular terrain and I don't have enough confidence to go fast on ice and make big carves to scrub if speed, so there was a lot of side slipping. So it was not a fun day. Next time will be better hopefully.

My riding bites in low visibility - I do not like cartwheels, so I'm way off the gas when I can't see.

If you're inconsistent in good conditions or feel you've kind of levelled out in improvement, you need a lesson. Or at least get someone to video you so you can critique yourself (and better, post it online so the instructionally-inclined here can give you some pointers).

Also, consider taking up skateboarding...even just casual longboarding has made a big difference for me (I'll ride in parking garages in bad weather). It makes basic riding skills more automatic if you're not on snow more than once a week.

joe...

I definitely have the good day/ bad day syndrome. Last season I would ride like a hero one day and suck big time the next. For me it is usually snow conditons.

This year however, I started out with the BBB (that's the Big Bad Day). I had just bought brand new TD2's from Dave @ yyzcannuck.com and bolted them to my Coiler 175 RaceCarve. . .but I thought I'd take it easy on the first day out and leave my Coiler at home. Instead, I dusted off my Sims Daytona, and put some Raichle plates on it to go with the Raichle 123's. I'm thinking that it would be a nice forgiving ride to get my legs back, but somewhat carveable. It was a classic last run crash. I folded the Daytona, felt my front knee twist, and my ankle crunch. After sitting up and delivering a few choice words to the ***holes on the lift who thought my fall was funny, I stood up and shakily slipped down the hill. I was damned if I was going down in a toboggan. To make a long story short, I got my boot off, packed my ankle in snow, and drove to the hospital. X-rays showed an avulsion fracture of my right fibula. As I understand it, instead of the ligament tearing free of my fibula, it remained intact and fractured the bone. Sucks to be me. For another 5 weeks anyway. Sure hope I make that trip Feb. 20th.:(

Moral? Take it easy first day out, and don't forget what you're riding on. I don't think the Coiler would have let me down like that.

Happy New Year:D

Guest dragon fly jones

There were the days. With my schedule I have been able to get up a lot, a couple of days at Loveland and then we did a camp at Copper for 6 days, the another trip to Copper then Steamboat, back to Copper, then to Breck, most of the days were easy, demo a few runs so the guys can get a visual on what we want them to work on and then back to standing at the start of the course, when guys are going good it is heaven, when they are having off days as we all do, we go on mental rides, trying to recreate what was working before, a move here a hand down there, to pull it back together, stopping and using mental imagery has been a plus to our riders, it get their heads back in the game, calms them and any fears and has been one of the least expensive things we could do for them. Try it to bring everything back into focus.

Happy new year everybody.

Originally posted by Chris

To make a long story short, I got my boot off, packed my ankle in snow, and drove to the hospital. X-rays showed an avulsion fracture of my right fibula. As I understand it, instead of the ligament tearing free of my fibula, it remained intact and fractured the bone. Sucks to be me. For another 5 weeks anyway.

IMO you are lucky to have an avulsion instead of a torn ligament. The fracture will probably heal faster and cleaner. I would know, I partially tore 3 ligaments in my ankle 10 months ago and I don't think it will ever be the same again. Fortunately my riding isn't affected at this time!

Originally posted by Chris

Take it easy first day out, and don't forget what you're riding on.

yeah, I got pigged on my first day out, in a very embarassing way. Really tweaked my right shoulder. Seems to have been only a strain or sprain..no tears. I figure it would still be painful if it was a tear

Originally posted by trikerdad

I do think that most of my 'bad' days have been when the vis is poor. Not being able to see the bigger holes and bumps, or being able to discern the sides of the groomers seems to destroy my confindence.

The visibility and snow conditions have a huge effect on the kind of day you're having. Flatlight is particularily insidious - all sorts of subtle visual cues that you didn't realize you were relying on are gone.

But aside from that, yeah, we all have good and bad days with sports. Somedays you're the windshield, somedays you're the bug...

anyone else get motion sickness on bad light days? Ive had it happen quite a few times, but I have a pretty fcked up balance system

once at Mt Baldy in SoCal, comin down some steeps simply could NOT tell which way was which and I actually found myself darn near puking! crazy

best cure for shaking off the cobwebs is hooking up with another carver, breaking out the peace pipe and cranking up the headphones. I've turned a lame day into a stoked one in just one chairlift ride. When it's a grey day, I wear yellow sunglasses and it tricks your brain into thinking it's sunny out. Happy New Year! Go Ride !

I've ridden with Bill and he can definitely carve! We hooked up for some runs last season and I did some of the best riding of my season on that day. He was on his Swoard and was carving beautiful lines all the way down the run. I thought I was doing pretty well for my age, but after trying to follow him, I figured I'd better step up my game, then only to find out he was 17 years my senior! Don't take offense at the last statement Bill, you've inspired me to keep going on days when I too wanted to chuck my gear in the car and go back home with my tail between my legs. I just remember that day we rode together and tell myself I've got alot of good years ahead of me to sharpen my riding skills. If I didn't tell you before I'll tell you now, thanks for taking the time to stop and give me some pointers and let me ride with you, you gave me alot of "good days".

See you on the mountain!

Paul

Just get some friends who suck at snowboarding for those sorts of days ;)

Like D-Sub said, it's just lack of practice. You need more time on the hill! (don't we all?)

I notice it most when I'm on tele's (still learning) or the wakeboard (it's summer here). All you can do is back off the pace and cruise. And, to state the obvious, riding when hung over is always like that! Done that a few too many times ;)

Benno

I really thought I was the only one who HATED flat light. If it's sunny, or at least has enough light to throw some shadow, I always have a really good day. But if it's flat, my confidence just goes out the window. I hate that feeling of humming along and suddenly, you're going up or down where you can't see a damn thing. I gave myself concussion last year, I set an edge to carve around what I thought was the turn on a trail and it was about a 2 ft drop, I went off on a heelside and landed fair on my nut. Things like that really p*** you off.

D-Sub, I'm hearing you on the motion sick thing. I was whited out so badly once, all the people we were with had to sit down to see which way we started to slide, so we could tell which way was down! And I had the same feeling. But then cars, planes and even horses make me sick as well ...

Flat light and whiteouts are a fact of life for many of us in the Pacific Northwest. I strongly second Willy****'s suggestion of a pair of yellow lenses. They increase the contrast, and I find I can see far better through yellow lenses than through clear lenses in flat light even though technically they don't allow as much light to pass through.

I know what you mean about feeling queezy in whiteout conditions. I've had a few trips into Heather Canyon @ Mt Hood Meadows (steep, open canyon wall, gets really socked in sometimes) where I really haven't been able to tell which way was downhill despite the fact that it's a steep pitch. Very disorienting! Haven't felt like puking yet but it was scary as s**t. Definitley better to go through the trees on those days., or at least near them.

A great book: The Inner Game of Tennis (Link to Amazon)

I know, it's about tennis, but it has a lot of mental strategies that have helped me out in car racing and snowboarding. His main point is finding what makes a good day (in any sport) a good day and mentally reproducing that every day you want to perform.

Of course, when the sun is flat and the snow sucks, it's not going to be a good day unless you really want to learn to ride in those conditions... ;)

I've had one too many contact lenses pop out while riding, so I wear goggles all the time... goggles catch the lens and I pop it back in, otherwise I'd be done for the day. In any case, yellow lenses give me a headache on a sunny day... Oakley makes a "driving lens" that I like in sun, works well for thin overcast as well, I think it's called VR28.

You all don't know what flat light really is until you've ridden a mile in my boots! You see...I'm blind in one eye and that means my depth perception sucks in all conditions! Of course it's even worse when it's overcast. The good side is that I get to blame a multitude of sins on that particular shortcoming.:D And wouldn't you know it, my blind eye is my lead eye, which makes me a collision waiting to happen!

There is no such thing as a bad day. Sure, some are better than others, but keep in mind that even on your worst day, you're still out there snowboarding. If you're snowboarding, just how bad of a day can it be? :)

If you find yourself having trouble in flat light, trying riding with a little bit more bend in your knees. That will help you suck up any bumps you don't see and also give your legs some room to extend if your edge sketches on anything slippery.

The crowds are gone, the sun is shining and the hardpack is groomed to perfection. I've ridden 8 of the last 9 days and have my new Donek 182 Axis dialed in. If the FC Bruce is building for me hooks up any better, I'll have an orgasm! I've got 'rug' burns from my wrist to my elbow! But I digress. I had just slid up to entrance to the lift and was contemplating loading on the chair for about the 18th run of the day, or getting something to eat, when a nice looking lady skier poled up to me. "Are you the one who's been leaving the grooves in that run?" she asks pointing to a run that I had been working pretty good. "Well...yeah, I've been down that one a few times" says I. "I've been asking boarders wearing a yellow coat like yours if they're the ones doing it and one of them told me to look for a snowboarder wearing what look like ski boots". "Okay..." says I, waiting for the lecture about how I'm ruining the runs. Then she says "I just wanted to tell you how beautiful and graceful you look from the chair". Quite a boost to a 59 year olds ego. I had a similar experience last year and I'll tell you, one of those makes up for a hundred of the other dumb comments you hear in the lift line. Anyway, as long as there's snow to ride, the golf clubs can rust.

Originally posted by trikerdad

Does anyone else have days when you wonder what ever made you think you were a carver, or even a snowboarder for that matter?

Oh boy, all the time. I have been riding for 17 season and last year was my worst season ever. Out of 33 days I think I had 6 good riding days. I often wondering if my snowboarding days are numbered.

One week in Feb, I had the best time of my life and then the follwing week with good conditions I was riding like a snowboard jacka** I just couldn't figured it out:confused:

Boo HOO!