Note to New Members ×

Bad Habit???

NMU Alpine Boarder

I saw a video of one of my races from last season yesterday, and noticed I always used my left forearm to knock the gate (ski gates) out of the way. I am a regular footed rider... My question is this: Am I hurting my toeside turns by swinging my left arm over to hit the gate?

Agree wholeheartedly with everything Kent has to say. Did a rotator cuff some years back running GS ski gates at a SB race when I hooked my arms in. If you are riding a decent line, don't worry about the gates- they will take care of themselves. Crossblocking is great for Bodie, unproductive for most racers and downright silly for riders. Good luck with the gates- press for triangle panels when you can- and happy new year!

-Sean

Guest Randy S.

In our league we race GS with skier gates, in a skier-set course. I more or less take the approach Kent suggests. I wear lots of protection for these races, also for any SL races where we race on tall poles. I really like the Dainese Slalom Jacket that I got from Blue-Tomato. It was ridiculously expensive, but offers the best arm protection. Its also in the right place for a boarder (my arm's leading edge when boarding is different than when skiing). If the Dainese is too rich for your blood, look at other options like skeletools or something. Also, look for some sort of padded shorts. I've been hit with poles in the boot, shin, thigh, butt, wrist, elbow, tricep, shoulder (side and back), and helmet. When I didn't have sufficient protection, it hurts.

Have fun.

Guest dragon fly jones

Brush past those suckers. If your too direct you will have to block, but no one wants that. Study what the skiers are doing and pick a line based off of that, stay early on your turns, maybe a touch rounder than you would like pinch the hands in and away you go.

I have my own horror stories with tall poles, buy just thinking about them has me shaking and almost unable to type. Think broken goggles, bloody nose, lips, chin, then getting slapped again by the next sucker before pulling out and leaving a sickening mess all over. Oops sorry about that.

Thank you for all the advice guys. I understand now if I am on the right line the gates will take care of themselves. After thinking about it, this habit was developed after having the a lot of the ski team telling me I was too passive around the gates, and to get aggressive. This got me in the mind set of charging gates, and probly just resulted in pushing myself offline more often then not, thus resulting in the need to block the gates. Thanks again :)

Derek

Derek -

If the ski coach has them blocking GS gates...they need to find a new one...blocking is only for SL.

You'll find the "our" (the majority vote above) will be a lil awkward as a photo might reveal a counter rotation on the toe side. W/o trying to be complicated...your turn should still be a rotary movement...but passing the gate your shoulders will be square the the tip of your board (versus inline with your knees)

Hope that helps. Let it rip....

How is snowboard participation in the midwest?

Originally posted by Kent

Derek -

If the ski coach has them blocking GS gates...they need to find a new one...blocking is only for SL.

You'll find the "our" (the majority vote above) will be a lil awkward as a photo might reveal a counter rotation on the toe side. W/o trying to be complicated...your turn should still be a rotary movement...but passing the gate your shoulders will be square the the tip of your board (versus inline with your knees)

Hope that helps. Let it rip....

How is snowboard participation in the midwest?

Kent,

The ski coach doesn't have the skiers blocking gates, lol... That was my own creation... I figured getting right on top of the gate was being "aggressive", which I now realize is not correct. And by doing that, I needed to protect myself...

As far as participation, I think it is good. It has been growing in recent years. There were 30+ boarders at the Midwest Regionals last year. The division I am in (Lake Superior) is pretty weak with only 3-5 riders per event. The Michigan and Chicago divisions have ~10-15 per event, so the numbers are there in those divisions. From what I have been told though, the entire Region only had 3 snowboarders 3 years ago, so it is growing at a good rate. Hoefully the trend will continue...