Note to New Members ×

Dalbello Krypton's

!MaineCarver!

Has anyone tried riding with the new Krypton Pro ID's. I have been contemplating getting these. I know that some of the pros ride them. I was just looking for a little more information. I weigh probably about 160lbs without gear on. I ride pretty agressively and am looking to race frequently this coming winter. Any advise would be amazing, thank you. :D

PM King Crimson, he is one of the most knowledgeable I think on using ski boots and in particular, the FT, Raichle, Krypton type boot to make it work for snowboarding.

I used to race and ride in the raichles (exactly the same as the FT) and the summary of what KC told me was the Krypton is the best of these 3 as it has made the changes needed from the original raichle shape so that it works well.

If I can paraphrase:

The one issue is with bindings, you need to get a binding that can handle a thinner ski boot sole; I have toyed with the idea of getting some new rubber soles CNCed up so the ride height is the same as a snowboard boot (but without the high heel feeling of the indy and with a little rubber flex in it); you have to accept slightly longer sole length; the stiffer lateral flex means that choppy show is a little less manageable and you will want to go for a softer flex if you can. I don't know specifically the krypton pro but you might want to consider a boot which fits well, then see what can be done to make the fwd flex what you wish (not too stiff and ideally, quite linear, not abruptly stopping like what you get in a riveted boot or with the indy with the RAB system).

Forward lean you will want some sort of free flexing system but getting the neutral starting fwd lean position depends on how the boot works.

For sure, ski boots seem to not have the major distortion problems of the soft plastic as a result of the cheap materials used in some snowboard boots, but needs a few tweaks to make it all work.

I personally think a raising and lowering boot board is a HUGE help to making boots fit and also the general fit of raichle ski boots was better for my foot around the ankle than the indy is, so I am also considering doing a switch to the dalbellos. Originally was looking at the FT but paying big dough for the exact same boot as what I had 20 years ago....hmmm.

The thing I was looking at with the Krypton's was the smooth forward flex and the lateral stiffness. They also fit my feet the best seeing how I have such a narrow foot. I also have a smaller foot so the longer sole length isn't that big of a problem, but I will have to look out for it. Possibly I could cut the soft tongue a little so that it has a softer forward flex. I have met one person personally that rides Krypton Cross boots and he says they fit well with the TD3 bindings.

Forward lean you will want some sort of free flexing system but getting the neutral starting fwd lean position depends on how the boot works.

By free flexing system are you talking about something like the BTS system or what the UPZ's have?

And what do you mean by raising and lowering boot board? I am also on the same level as you on the laying down the pile of dough for the boots.

This is all just my theory and could be totally wrong. but i spent quite a bit of time riding in hero USA snow as well as lousy NZ north island conditions, some racing and stuff, and most of that was in ski boots (raichle flexon comps) during the era when a lot of people were using ski boots. I used to be fine in choppy rutted stuff, but now definitely think that the stiffness of the flexons did hold me back a bit; nowadays I think the dalbellos and FTs you can customise the flex a bit more, plus also the board flexes have changed a lot. Also, back then I was thin, now I'm a fat middle aged coot with 20kg/44lb additional weight!

By free flexing I mean you don't really want to ride a boot with the boot cuff either riveted or with a locked cuff such as the locked in forward positions on some boots (in which case the forward flex comes from compressing the liner and/or distortion of the shell) nor do you want the boot to flex forward freely only up to a certain point then stopping (as occurs with the RAB due to a massive design flaw) after which the boot distorts.

You want the flex to be progressively stiffer and stiffer as you go forward, without the boot distorting at the ankles (usually distortion means the boot gets wider and your ankle gets LESS locked in, which is exactly what you don't want to happen as you flex forward in a toe side turn) and this can be acheived in the original flexons with just the tongue (although it was quite stiff and a bit temperature dependent) or in the case of the indys/700s using a system like the BTS. I have an old pair of UPZs lying around NZ somewhere, cannot remember how they worked, I think similar to Northwave, BTS as well; so its partly the tongue providing resisitance and partly the spring system on the cuff.

Looking at the dalbellos I suspect the tongue is enough to control fwd flex, you get the tongue type right and the boot should work fine. I don't really think you need the massive forward flex that some of the EC guys show on the net in their liviing rooms, having watched James Ong ride who is probably the best EC rider I have seen in person (back in the mid 2000s), he has almost no resistance as he use to ride with no mechanism on the back but uses calf muscle strength to control the forward lean. Ski boots if you can get the point where you have a nice flex forward you are comfortable with then you can just load up the front tongues, but good to use calf strength I think too. I personally think lateral flex is not really needed so much, but you could get it by using sidewinders or integrating a rubber sole onto a ski boot.

Yes, TD3s can handle ski boots for sure as you can adjust the length of the bails.

The boot board is the thing your foot rests on; in more high end ski boots you can use a screw usually on the side of the sole with a thread to wind the boot board up and down; the advantage for some people is it means you can reduce the volume around your ankle vertically, by raising it slightly. Snowboard boots, at least the indys, seem to have no way to adjust this within the boot and the standard boot position already seems to have the heel very very high for some reason, so you feel like you are wearing high heels. In a ski boot at least for the raichle style shape (I cannot comment much on dalbello or FT but assume is similar) the volume around your ankle is less anyhow; once you can also adjust the height of your heel in the boot as well, then you can really get the right fit around your ankle so there is no heel lift at all. You can sort of replicate it with hard foam shims under the liner in indys, but as the height of the heel in snowboard boots is so high already, it's probably not a great plan.

Even with indys and moulded liners plus shims I have never come close to the good heel fit in the flexons with regards to heel lift; mostly because the area around the ankle is a bit volumous. Still, it's not bad. I do think I could do better so am at the same point as you, the things I really like in a ski boot are the adjustment, the solid non flexing sole, the luck of having a shape of a boot that happens to be closer to my foot, and generally better hardware.

Most important would be to get the flex about right, the new park boots are getting closer and closer to the sorts of softness we have in snowboard boots anyhow.

Edited by kipstar

Someone did review of krypton Pro ID on alpine carving setup somewhere...

The reviewer overally liked it. He used 11/12 SG full carve 170 with sigi plate.

Advantages:

Super stiff

Fairly adjustable in terms of forward lean and side canting

3 buckles were more convenient

Increase in pressure control due to in-built heel lift and beam structure at the sole, allowing rider to crank much more pressure

Strong edge feel during heel side turns

Disadvantages:

Too stiff for beginners and intermediate level riders

No flexsion so more fatigue on lower leg

In conclusion, good boots for racers or advanced riders looking for maximum responsiveness and pressure control. Recommended flex 90-120.

Edited by leeho730

Thank you for all the information it helped a lot! I am going to keep looking around. I think if I don't get the Dalbello's I am going to go with the new UPZ's'.

These are good things to keep in mind!

Advantages:

Super stiff

Fairly adjustable in terms of forward lean and side canting

3 buckles were more convenient

Increase in pressure control due to in-built heel lift and beam structure at the sole, allowing rider to crank much more pressure

Strong edge feel during heel side turns

The reviewer also noted that by using hard tongue, super stiff race cuff and tour&board sole modules (featuring heel moon part) on UPZ boots, he could replicate krypton ID's characteristics. Review noted that after the mod, he felt less need of lift in the binding. Problem was that since the tour&board heel considerably thickened the toe and heel parts, he had problem fitting the modded boots to F2 binding due to its fixed bail length. For F2 binding users, using ski sole modules might be better to make sure that buckle and bail would fit.

Edited by leeho730

• 2 months later...

I do not know how easy it is to find these boots, but as well as the ski version of the non asym shell raichle lemans style design (now branded firstdegreeboots.com) we also seem to have a 3rd modified version of the raichle flexon comps, alongside the Dalbello, the Full Tilt now we also have the Italian http://www.roxa.com/ guys who seem to have a variety of boots including what looks awfully similar to the FT.....

The various freestyle boots seem to be in a variety of flexes perhaps including even something that works for snowboarding.

I have sung the praises of Kryptons quite a lot but I cant recommend them after three consecutive years of shell failure after one season each.. I broke my most recent pair in 35 days, and less than that for my first pair. They both cracked in the same place, on a stress riser that is engineered into the boot. Their warranty department refused to send me a new pair without me first sending them the failed pair despite numerous pictures of the crack showing no impact or other damage to the boot. Wayyy too much of a pain in the ass for me, especially since I haven't been able to properly hardboot since the beginning of this month. This crack is not unique to hardbooting, a skier friend of mine has also caused the same crack on his boot racing skiercross. I paid an authorized retailer to ship them to Dalbello (in NH) two weeks ago and I have now sent 2 emails with no reply, and the retailer hasn't been contacted either. They are kickass boots for carving though, and the heel hold is mindblowingly good with the cuff that's new for this year..I don't even remember what heel lift feels like. I know the steamboat kids were getting hurt with them, but as far as I know they were using much stiffer shells than the ones I like, and riding way better and im sure crashing much harder.

Edited by KingCrimson

Thanks for sharing foto. Maybe a crack can occur by skiing too. Maybe using as harboots give way more stress to the shell, so the can not withstand more than 35 days.

Their warranty department refused to send me a new pair

You have to be lucky, because warranty don't cover any damage resulting from misusing. Once again, Krypton's are ski boots, not snowboard hardboots. Calzaturificio Dalbello Srl (Dalbello boots industries) has not designed and constructed them for to use on snowboards. For hardbooting there are way other forces to the boot-shell and liners then for skiing, even if you use Krypton's with wide shapeed skis like e.g. Birdos or anything else.

You can find riders on FIS-Worldcup using them. They use them at own risk. Never heard Dalbello is sponsoring any of those riders with free skiboots for the snowboard races.

So take a look to Dalbello Krypton OWNERS MANUAL:

Dear Skier,

Congratulations on your purchase of DALBELLO ski boots. ......

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR USE.. -> Page 24

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS

REGARDING YOUR EQUIPMENT:

1) Use these boots only with compatible bindings (DIN 7881, ISO 8061, ASTM F- 939, et. al.)

that have been adjusted to them and to your individual specifications.

3) Do not use these ski boots for any activity other than Alpine Skiing.

WARRANTY -> Page 25

This limited warranty, or any implied warranties, will apply only to boots that exhibit normal use and service, and will not cover any damage resulting from any misuse, .....

Dalbello recomend their Krypton's for Alpine Skiing only and nothing else.

So it's not recommendet to misuse them by Alpine snowboarding.