Stratton, Mt Snow, or Okemo this weekend

Guest jeremiah

Guest jeremiah

I hadn't planned on doing any riding over the Christmas break, so I got the no-holiday season pass for Stratton this year. Now my wife's sisters and spouses have decided that they want to ride over New Years, so I'm heading north. My question is.. Which of these three mountains is likely to be least unbearable in terms of crowds and conditions?

I've done 2 years at Mt Snow, 1+ at Stratton, and 0 days at Okemo, but have not done major holidays.

None of my guests are that good, so I guess quality of instruction during a peak period is another consideration.

I have done 2 weekends at Statton this year so far, and conditions were good 2 weeks ago, but not sure what damage the last warm spell did. Looking at the mountain reports, all 3 seem about 75% open, but we all know that there are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and resort snow reports.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

I can't speak for Stratton or Mt. Snow but I did ride at Okemo last Friday and it was like a sloped skating rink. The groomers do their best but the torrential rains and subsequent plunging temperatures last weekend made for some very crusty conditions.

I'm planning on being at Okemo on Saturday and hope to run the NASTAR course if it's open. All three mountains are likely to be crowded. I'm teaching a kids' snowboard class on Sunday at Okemo so I will be in soft boots that day.

I think this is a "blackout" weekend for the ASC season pass so a lot of the Killington regulars may descend on Okemo. It will be a zoo but I plan on being there Saturday morning.

Wardance would be a good place for carving if it's not closed for race training.