Note to New Members ×

How do you choose a new board?

RJ-PS

How do you choose a new board?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How do you choose a new board?

• I call Coiler, Donek, Prior, etc and let them decide.
    • Choose Schmooze, buy 'em all, the more boards the better.
    • From board stats like sidecut radius, width of tail, tip, waist, or flex.
    • Race, Freecarve, All-Mtn, etc
    • Size in the quiver that is not occupied.
    • Intended terrain or home mountain.
    • Whatever as long as it fits in my car.
    • $$$$$$$$$$$$$ it doesn't grow on trees.
    • Recommendations from bomber folks.
    • Whenever I feel poopy I buy a board.
    • Recommendations from friends/peers

I was asking around for boards in the 170cm range and a fellow boarder mentioned that it would probably be too small for my weight. It is still about the size I would like to go because of the narrow hill I ride. So I guess I'm left in a quandry, go with a shorter board that won't allow me to go as fast, or go with a longer board that I will only be able to ride the two or three times a year I board during the week.

Which led me to a bigger question....how does one even go about choosing a board? It seems as though there are endless variables:

height/weight/ability

terrain/vertical feet/accessibility

reputation/brand/builder

sidecut radius/waist/nose/tail

construction/materials/builder

recommendations/graphics/price

other boards in the quiver/wife's nagging/board lust

It was a lot easier to just pull a Burton off the rack in '89 and say OK this one looks cool.

I know there are many of you that buy and have bought a lot of boards, let me in on your thoughts in decision making.

Thanks,

I weigh the "what I want" factor against the "what I really need" factor and average to the second...example I wanted a 180ish FC/RC what I needed was a 170's ish FC and then Bobby Buggs was selling his 175RC (here on Bomber) and since he and I are the same weight I jumped and it's been awesome, though the conditions are only just getting to the point that I can really enjoy it (again this weekend yippee). As much as I wanted a BIG board reality is that after this year in Japan I'll be back on the Icecoast and it's small hills/mountains I bought my board because it will be a regular rider on the mountains I'm going to spend the most amount of time on and my wife is not a fan of "quivers". She complains about the 5-6 skateboards that I keep, more than 4 snowboards (one is technically hers) and I would be fighting with the cats for space on the couch. Get a good board for what you ride regularly then fill out a quiver if you must...and yes calling/emailing Sean/Bruce/Chris would be a good thing if for no other reason that they can help figure out what you NEED.

How about recomendations from peers. When I need a new race board I talk to friends who ride similar to myself and have the same outlook about techenique and get imput from them about what they are on and if it works or not. I get a pool of knowledge of what's out there and I make a decision, I usually end up trying to track down a '01 or older F2 that's still in good condition, but these are getting harder to find. I think my next board will either be a Tomahawk or a Coiler.

How about most of the above? For my latest purchase, based on the terrain/mountain I like to ride, I selected a general style of board, then a manufacturer based on recommendations from people I trust (BOL), then give my requirements to the manu and let them sort out the details. That's 4 of the poll options.

I like having several boards in my quiver just for a variety to ride and change when I am on the hill. I do the same with golf clubs and cars. One day it is a different car to work and some days it is a differnet ride on the mountain. I need to add several boards to my collection tho- missing a Racecarve Coiler in 180 and possibly a Prior 181. Not a Donek or Ford fan. :D Mustangs Suck.

I am thinking of dumping my Madd 170 I have to think about it first though

my boards I have gone custom a couple times and that works out well since I know what I like

my advice would be to talk to Bruce at Coiler

but if you can afford it build a quiver its nice to have a selection and riding different boards really improves your skills

Guest dragon fly jones

I too have a nice run of boards that were custom built. It took a ton of research and trial and error, but we have a system down and the other guys that ride them pass ideas and boards around and we have hit a good formula for each one of us. There is one dude that has now jumped on the Tomahawks and has messed us up. That thing is freaking sick, I cannot wait to get my hands on one to demo, now that would be good!

My advice: Try as many as you can based off of what you were riding before, like a Nidecker tornado 183 and base your design on thoughts on that board and you'll come up with what you like to ride and what fits your style.

...until now I bought boards when I saw them for cheap. Some stores here in CA used to carry burton race/carve boards and would sell them for half price at the end of the season. But that's over since Burton stopped making alpine boards...

But for my next board I already demoed Randy's freecarve and will most likely buy one of those for next season...

Hagen.

I.figure out what parameters I want (talk to people, use existing board as a baseline, demo stuff, etc). Then look for it in manufacturer's catalogs. If I find something close enough, I'll but it. That hasn't happened yet, so I've been going to custom builders. I think I can fill my need for a long board with a skinny waist and a large sidecut with something from the Donek or Coiler catalogs though. Maybe next season.