Note to New Members ×

Rental Car prices DOUBLED since last year

jp1

Seems that Rental Car prices have MORE than DOUBLED since last years SES :angryfire. Any real hints as to how to get best (Std. car) deal ?

Does anyone use a different location to pick up a rental other than the airport when arriving at DIA ?

Airport prices are usually higher, you can usually get better rates by taking a shuttle to an off site rental agency. It is an added hassle though. I would not recommend Enterprise for this as they were established to deal with insurance claims so their prices might not be lower at other locations, whereas agencies like Budget and Avis were built to service vacationers. You might need to do some calling around.

Airport prices are usually higher, you can usually get better rates by taking a shuttle to an off site rental agency. It is an added hassle though. I would not recommend Enterprise for this as they were established to deal with insurance claims so their prices might not be lower at other locations, whereas agencies like Budget and Avis were built to service vacationers. You might need to do some calling around.

Spot on here.

They pay a premium to be on the premises. As do all tenants. Typically they do very well though (captured audience)

Been a while, I found I could get the best deals online, even while sitting in the parking lot :) Advance booking of a week can make a big difference too. AAA Membership or ARP ? :) Ha,ha.

If it is just for SES? Check the SES threads for groups, vans? Others flying in around the same time? I suppose that is obvious and you have already looked into that.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Spot on here.

They pay a premium to be on the premises. As do all tenants. Typically they do very well though (captured audience)

Been a while, I found I could get the best deals online, even while sitting in the parking lot :) Advance booking of a week can make a big difference too. AAA Membership or ARP ? :) Ha,ha.

If it is just for SES? Check the SES threads for groups, vans? Others flying in around the same time? I suppose that is obvious and you have already looked into that.

hi jp. i posted about this very subject a few months ago ("denver rental car tactics" was the thread title) after i saved $1K by going to a hotel 5 minutes outside of DIA and renting a Tahoe from an Enterprise kiosk stationed in a hotel lobby. anyway, you going to CO in early or mid december? email me if you like

• 2 weeks later...

I usually shop rates on Orbitz then book direct with the individual company. Kayak.com is good too. So in June, I reserved a mini van from DIA with an 8 day est total rate of $450; just checked and the rate is $1230! Check back a few times every week. Rates supposedly change Tues/Weds and if you see what appears to be a bargain, grab it as it may not be there the next day. No out of money cost to reserve or cancel, but beware they can charge you if you want to make a change and may treat like a new reservation at prevailing rates. When you get close (2 to 4 weeks) of travel date, try Price Line to shop against what you have to see if you can do better, this service you must pay upfront.

INSURANCE, if you have an American Express card call to inquire about their sign-up for auto-rental coverage program. No cost up front but when you use the card to sign up for the auto, their coverage engages to become the primary carrier for $24.95 per rental period. Coverage also includes theft and loss of rental revenue due to collision / repairs with no deductables. https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?pcrid=17524142225&pmt=b&kw=premium%20rental%20car%20insurance&extlink=ps-cardserv-srNTt30Lk&gclid=CNvbkb-vw7MCFfBcMgodoFIA9g Doesn't hurt to call AmEx a day or so in advance just to confirm things.

When selecting an auto off the lot, and presuming you have a choice, try to find one with a cracked or damaged windshield and make certain the damage is noted on the contract when exiting. This way, any further damage to the windshield is waived. Lots of stones are tossed up along I-70.

Edited by Pat Donnelly

INSURANCE, if you have an American Express card call to inquire about their sign-up for auto-rental coverage program. No cost up front but when you use the card to sign up for the auto, their coverage engages to become the primary carrier for $24.95 per rental period. Coverage also includes theft and loss of rental revenue due to collision / repairs with no deductables. https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?pcrid=17524142225&pmt=b&kw=premium%20rental%20car%20insurance&extlink=ps-cardserv-srNTt30Lk&gclid=CNvbkb-vw7MCFfBcMgodoFIA9g Doesn't hurt to call AmEx a day or so in advance just to confirm things.

This is true with regard to Amex, however, be prepared to go through a ton of hassle if you should have to claim on this "benefit". $1800 worth of repair bills for a broken axle on a rental cost me at least the same amount in frustration, redundancy, time, etc.........you get the idea. They paid but it was like pulling teeth

btw, thanks Bryan. i'm not lazy, just inept. and self-depricating, apparently.

• 3 months later...
Just booked a mini van for next year (Feb 2014) out of Denver with a total estimated 8 day rate of $470. Booked direct with http://www.foxrentacar.com/. Not all rental companies have rates posted for Feb 2014 at this time, so if you book now do a comparsion search in a month or so.

We always fly into Eagle/Vail and rentals seem cheaper there. We paid around 400 for Fri through Sat. For a mid sized SUV. Plus it doesn't hurt to plan ahead and coordinate with a few folks so you can split the rental cost!