Note to New Members ×

SES ~ Just Booked my Airfare! Now need some Lodging -

barryj

• 4 weeks later...

Hey TR,

No...I need somebody(s) to split it with....also Snowmass Inn charges your cerdit card when you make the reservation...that's alot of money tied up for 4 months!

I was thnking of the Green Drake Inn, which I've stayed at before in Basalt...half the price of Snowmass Inn, but need somebody with wheels to split that one also...

Anybody??

....also Snowmass Inn charges your cerdit card when you make the reservation...that's alot of money tied up for 4 months!

That seems to be common in Aspen. Plus they charge the remaining amount some time before you're scheduled to show up.

I don't like it one bit either. I assume it was from the pre-recession days when everything was sold out every season. ;)

Snowmass Inn charges your cerdit card when you make the reservation...that's alot of money tied up for 4 months!
They only charged 50% for me, I guess the rest comes off later. If you go through Expedia or Travelocity at the cheapest rate, they charge the whole thing, non-refundable. Going direct at least you can cancel with a reasonable penalty.

The Tyrolean is on Main St (at First & Main) in downtown Aspen. You can take a taxi 3 miles from the airport (2 years ago this cost $15) or walk out to highway for free shuttle to town. The Tyrolean sits right in front of the bus stop so getting to any of the hills is easy and there is a small (and tasty) breakfast cafe directly across the street. The St Moritz is about 2 blocks from bus stop and is also in downtown (west end). We have not stayed here so others on the board may have have more info http://www.stmoritzlodge.com/

I do know that there are a few people (including us) staying at the Tyrolean. There are a couple of us driving out so we have cars (we take the bus if we intend on drinking) and we offer rides to people if they like.

Where are those in relationship to Snowmass Inn? I'm flying in to Aspen...so no wheels to commute.
Hey Barryj why is it important to be close to the Snowmass Inn? just curious as the places SnowNBeachAddict are suggesting are right in town Aspen, and there is a free shuttle to take you to all of the mountains. All of the evening activities take place in Aspen, except for opening night which is right at the base of Buttermilk and going back to Aspen is a mere short bus ride. Just curious.

Hey Barryj,

I heard back from one person. He indicated he won't make a decision as to whether he is coming until late Dec/early Jan. I sent him a link to this thread so he knows how to contact you. As of now our room is full as it looks like it is me + hubby and one of my girlfriends. If for some reason she backs out I will let you know. I recommend checking the St. Moritz dorms. They are reasonable and close to the bus lines. What Michelle says above makes sense:)

The bus service is amazing, and free! A car could mean you could get places 10 or maybe 20 minutes earlier in off-peak times, but it's a hassle to find parking. I had a car the first couple of years I went when we stayed in Glenwood springs, but the rental and PITA factor made it a no-brainer to stay in Aspen or Snowmass and just bus everywhere.

http://www.rfta.com/fourmountain.html - I think buses run about every 5 minutes during the times most people go to or from the ski areas. The only awkward one is Snowmass as it's a little further away. Aspen's public transit puts most major cities to shame...

• 2 weeks later...