Note to New Members ×

New HB - community advice needed

gTa

gTa,

Ski boots generally aren't recommended, particularly for those just getting started. They tend to be too responsive, so any rider mistakes are magnified. Also, they tend to restrict some of the movements that some associate with good riding. And if you have a foot much larger than yours, you may have problems with overhang at sensible binding angles. Binding setup may take more fiddling as well.

That said, if you tried them, and had no difficulty, they may be appropriate for your use. One of the advantages of the ski boot over a 'named' hardboot, is that with a larger number of ski boot manufacturers, there is a better possibility that someone like yourself, with foot volume at one end of the fit scale, will find appropriate fit.

I ride in ski boots, and have modified them extensively. Any modifications you need will be based on your physical needs, in accord with your goals as a rider, and whatever philosophy of movement you bring to the sport.

The ankle rivets on the Salomon are more or less in the right place, and there are several means of modifying the forward flex without too much ado.

If you get the chance to try the 'official' hardboots mentioned in this thread, take the Salomon along for a side by side comparison.

Aah, now I'm following: yes I tried them, but no not on my alpine boards, but on skis :) Namely because of the sole length and therefore binding angles, they're not suitable for my F2 (didn't try on the Swoard). I don't think I'll modify them, since I want them to be a ski boot ;)