Note to New Members ×

Board and plate "System Boards"

~tb

The bomber and Donek plates, as well as the APEX (ridden only the bomber myself, and one of JJA's) seem like the maintain, or try to maintain stiffness in all directions (generally speaking).

I think I know what you mean here, but can you explain a little further? Are you talking about asymmetric plate flexes?

First generation of plates mostly stiff as a plank, time and testing is revealing that somewere between stiff and softer is more acceptable to the majority, but it is most definitly a personal preference as to which feels best for your style of riding. You can adjust to the plate but once you do you appreciate that there are lots of options related to matching stiff plates to stiff boards soft plates to softer boards and every other possible combination. The results are more than worth the effort but for some reason it's difficult to convince people to try a plate for the first time. There is no " whats best " it's what work best for you and the conditions you ride.

I was referring to the constant, symmetrical flex pattern of the current crop of plates. Of course i am assuming this is the case due to the plank-like design. For example, it seems like the Bomber plate has a constant flex for the deck, and is primarily meant to shift for and aft (nose and tail in case I got that wrong) as the board flexes underneath it. This would render a stable platform for the rider, creating the isolation. It seemed like the Korean plate was meant to add side to side flex as well as the nose-tail shifting, based on the terribly translated version of the site i was trying my best to gleam information from.

It seemed like the Korean plate was meant to add side to side flex as well as the nose-tail shifting, based on the terribly translated version of the site i was trying my best to gleam information from.

I don't think the S5 plates promote Side to Side flex. By looking at the photos, i think it allows set distance between plates for width of board. Difference between uni-platform vs 2 platform is to reduce weight of the plates, not to promote/allow side to side flex, I think. Some of reviews has been posted in some korean forum and it was softer than other plate system.

Anyway, here are some translation of the product page.

Material: 7000 Duralumin, Heat treated and tempered on 45C Steel Axis, Stainless Brackets.

Difference: Very rigid on torsional stress. Plate+Bindings combo enable (F2 or S5 bindings)

Spec: Weight 2.1 kg. (With binding bails: 2.7 kg)

- Lifts/Cants can be applied

- Custom (Regular/Goofy, Stance Width), Binding Angle is 50-55 Fixed.

Noticeable Ride Difference:

- Very easy to turn (GS feels SL)

- Buttery turn Initiation & exit

- Plate+Binding Combo height is about same as just bindings alone.. No weird feel from height.

In the reviews, I noticed that he used softer setup (Oxygen proton GS 178 / SL 160, S5 Isolation Plate, Deeluxe Leman). That reminds me lowrider's comments on softer setup for softer boards and harder setup for harder boards.

What you call the symetrical flex is the dominant advantage the plate provides (isolation and suspension resulting in excellent edge hold on ice). The secondary trait (slow speed stability or lack there of) is what the torsional character of the plate dictates, for most it translates to being comfortable at slow speeds or the ability to peddle. Usually the peddling is more a factor for recreational riding (slow speed stability) is something you adapt to with more usage of a stiff plate. I have built a few plates that articulate in the middle which allow for unrestricted torsional movement and ride excellent the disadvantage is in designing hardware that reduces stack height to an acceptable level. What i consider to be an acceptable height is achievable at under 17mm but only in UPM. My most recent plate is under 16mm. I think a reasonable blend of flex (front to back ) as well as torsionally is achievable in one plate ie; the Bomber 3mm version and would be ideal for the majority of recreational riders whereas the 5mm plates are best suited to superheroes. You can obtain excellent results if you are willing to invest the time to experiment with variatons of plates and boards, glass, metal, stiff, soft they all provide characteristics one desires under certain conditons how you match them up to various plates opens up a world of possibilities. The last point to remember once you start riding a plate is to trust the board commit to you turns. It will provide you with the ride of your life.