Note to New Members ×

Spam....

skatha

You know what's crazy to me is that spam exists because it works. I can't fathom that there are a significant number of people who are smart enough to use a computer and participate in an online community who are also stupid enough to solicit spammers. The rest of us must be some kind of freaking geniuses by comparison!

Edited by Jack Michaud

Its a pain in the butt for sure. I moderate another forum and have to manually delete stuff almost every day. It would be nice to have a tool to identify potential spam - recently registered, link in text or sig, single post in either a new thread or some randomly necroed one...

You know what's crazy to me is that spam exists because it works. I can't fathom that there are a significant number of people who are smart enough to use a computer and participate in an online community who are also stupid enough to solicit spammers. The rest of us must be some kind of freaking geniuses by comparison!

Thread Hi-jack! I'm not looking for solutions, I'm looking for some extra cash!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

I've asked Fin to check that out. Otherwise, AFAIK the only way to catch human spammers before they post is to manually moderate new registrations. P. I. T. A. :(

Look at the last few comments - it hasn't been updated in over a year and seems to clash with the latest vBulletin releases.

I hate these !@#!@ spammers here, it's like someone peeing on the floor of your living room.

A couple of thoughts:

-Hold for manual approval if they select a country of residence outside North America or Europe.

-If you can integrate IP address checking, even better - autodeny anyone with an IP address outside NA or Europe (or maybe just flag for manual approval).

-Possibly deputize sub-moderators whose only role is manually approving new accounts to share the load (is it possible to set up permissions like that?)