Jump to content

Soft Boot Carving-what is the perfect board?


Flash
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wondering if anyone has a board they think is the perfect weapon for carving in softies? I have been riding my soft-boots more often than my hard boots over the last few seasons as I really enjoy the versatility and I am not skilled enough to ride bumps with hard-boots (but I am getting good on the bumps in the softies!)

I am looking to add to my quiver and am wondering what boards you all have had success with. I know the Donek Freeride line is excellent, Palmer makes some good stuff (Crown - crazy expensive though) and I keep hearing that Rad-Air rocks. My preference would be for a board between 160 and 170 CM.

Thanks in advance,

Flash

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Flash

Wondering if anyone has a board they think is the perfect weapon for carving in softies? I have been riding my soft-boots more often than my hard boots over the last few seasons as I really enjoy the versatility and I am not skilled enough to ride bumps with hard-boots (but I am getting good on the bumps in the softies!)

I am looking to add to my quiver and am wondering what boards you all have had success with. I know the Donek Freeride line is excellent, Palmer makes some good stuff (Crown - crazy expensive though) and I keep hearing that Rad-Air rocks. My preference would be for a board between 160 and 170 CM.

Thanks in advance,

Flash

Well you already have a Donek Phoenix... AND a Madd 158, how about the Madd 165 BX board (only in prototype stage right now though).

http://www.catek.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1919&t=1919

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't have the Madd 158 anymore and it can't be ridden (well) in soft boots.

The Phoenix ihas been a blast so far as an all-mountain board, but not sure I would think it is optimal for hard-carving on East Coast hard-pack because it is alot softer than the Donek Incline.

Don't know too much about the Madd BX. Might be what I am looking for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Flash

Wondering if anyone has a board they think is the perfect weapon for carving in softies? I have been riding my soft-boots more often than my hard boots over the last few seasons as I really enjoy the versatility and I am not skilled enough to ride bumps with hard-boots (but I am getting good on the bumps in the softies!)

I am looking to add to my quiver and am wondering what boards you all have had success with. I know the Donek Freeride line is excellent, Palmer makes some good stuff (Crown - crazy expensive though) and I keep hearing that Rad-Air rocks. My preference would be for a board between 160 and 170 CM.

Thanks in advance,

Flash

f2 eliminator ltd '02-'05

santa cruz tbx '01-'02

PS wide doneks is a whole another lower class and cannot

be compared to these BXers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Flash

Don't have the Madd 158 anymore and it can't be ridden (well) in soft boots.

The Phoenix ihas been a blast so far as an all-mountain board, but not sure I would think it is optimal for hard-carving on East Coast hard-pack because it is alot softer than the Donek Incline.

Don't know too much about the Madd BX. Might be what I am looking for.

Yea, I just meant to say that if you took the all-mountain ability of the Phoenix and combined it with the tenacious edge grip of the Madd 158, then you would get something like the Madd BX.

What do people think about the Prior freeride/BX boards?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rode one of these with Flows for a year while healing from an ankle injury that prevented me from riding in hardboots.

The board rocks. Good stiffness, kinda between a good stiff freeride board and an allmtn alpine rig. 25.5cm waist allows for guys with bigish feet to ride reasonable angles without bootout. 9.5m radius allows for some nice carves.

They are tough to find, but I heard that a shop in Colorado found some old stock and is selling them off for a reasonable price.

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's hard to find a freeride board with a sidecut radius over 10 meters, which IMO is pretty tight for carving, and it's pretty easy to get going fast enough that it will not carve at all. Steepwater makes freeride boards with the biggest sidecut radii that I know of, I think they go up to 11.5 or so... they're worth investigating.

Or you could call up one of the custom builders and ask for something with a sidecut around 12-13 meters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mark, I have heard similar comments to yours that the Volkl Cross is about as close to a race board as you're gonna get and still be able to rock softies on it. Bola at Allboardsports said he got some NOS, but with the demand for an old production board like this, I don't know if there is any left. http://www.allboardssports.com/

I had to choose between a Rad-Air LSD and the Volkl Cross, it was a tough decision but the LSD won out because of versatility. Plus there are few people that I would trust on recommendations more than PSR, and he said the MADD BX is unparalleled.

Good luck with your decision Flash

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by terekhov

f2 eliminator ltd '02-'05

santa cruz tbx '01-'02

PS wide doneks is a whole another lower class and cannot

be compared to these BXers.

I've never ridden the F2 or Santa Cruz you mention, but I do find the Donek Inclines to be an extremely capable board for carving in softies. The Inclines are 24 cm at the waist, I can't imagine most would want to go much narrower on a softie board. I've ridden the 160 and an older 168 as well as the Wide 161, which I still use for an occasional janut in the park as well as days of deep, heavy snow when low speeds are required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boards ridden with plates n soft hardboots that I have been happy with

that should work well with softies

165 solomon FRS

165 santa cruz tbx

Prior playas BX 167

Prior one off bx stick 25 waist 4x4 shape

Prior custom 172 23 w 12m cut

168 f2 eliminator ltd wide

164 oxygen supercross

165 burton fusion

most of these arent made any more

all of the above are great for all mtn riding in my opinion, sidecut not to much of an issue as these are what I ride in crowded conditions

I have a palmer channel ti (the old orange /blue one), cant put my finger on it but I just dont like it,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Dave*

165 solomon FRS

That was a fun board! Very, very stiff though - I found it to be a whole lot of work to ride it off-groomed in softies; better w/ plates when used as an all-mountain board IMHO. Unfortunatley mine had issues w/ top sheet peeling off and easy base damage...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

nidecker's have an unsual sidecut:

7.6 on a 166 board

i know of no other manufacturer that has

boards with these specs. if you like a quick

turning board, check'm out. i'm a huge fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...