Note to New Members ×

PAIN! Please help!

nekdut

I got a pair of Suzukas this season and I'm trying to deal with a number of issues I'm having. I've used them for about 9 days so far, so they've broken in a reasonable amount so far.

First, intec cable pain. I've molded the liners, drilled a little channel for the cable, put some material around the cable itself to make it less of an edge, but none of this has worked! My heel really feels like its being pinched quite hard. Any suggestions?

Second, I am quite flat footed and I had a Kork made at footloose not too long ago. I get some pretty severe cramping and pain on the soft bottom part of my foot right behind the toes in front of the arch (or lack thereof). It cramps up so badly, especially for the first few runs, that I can barely stand in the morning. I thought the foodbeds and proper boot sizing would help. I had sz28 123s before, but I'm in s27 Suzukas now so I believe I have properly sized boots (shell test = 1.5 fingers). I've had this pain in every snowboard boot i've ever used (soft or hard).

Third, ingrown toenails. I was reading that my toenail may have to be removed entirely to fix the problem. Is this true?? The sides of my big toenail curve in quite a bit and do hurt my toes. I cut them as often as possible, but i still have problems.

Try canting the boots outwards a little. This should take some pressure off the arch and prevent numbness and cramping. I also am flat footed and rode all of last year with similar pain but when I fiddled with the canting this year, most of the pain went away. Also having flat feet, don't you find the Deeluxe boots a tad narrow? Or did you get the boots punched out?

Simon

Originally posted by nekdut

I got a pair of Suzukas this season and I'm trying to deal with a number of issues I'm having. I've used them for about 9 days so far, so they've broken in a reasonable amount so far.

Second, I am quite flat footed and I had a Kork made at footloose not too long ago. I get some pretty severe cramping and pain on the soft bottom part of my foot right behind the toes in front of the arch (or lack thereof). It cramps up so badly, especially for the first few runs, that I can barely stand in the morning. I thought the foodbeds and proper boot sizing would help. I had sz28 123s before, but I'm in s27 Suzukas now so I believe I have properly sized boots (shell test = 1.5 fingers). I've had this pain in every snowboard boot i've ever used (soft or hard).

I have super narrow, flat feet with small toes and skinny ankles and had similar problems.

I'm riding a pair of AF600s and Surefoot custom insoles. Since then I not longer get the crippling arch/instep pain. With the footbeds and liners I can actually buckle my boots rather loose (the bottom two are just barely snug and the top two are *extremely* loose).

They are a little tight in the toe area (going to need to punch them out), but amazingly everything else feels pretty good (I had to put a plastic shim on the top of the cuff to spread out the pressure and avoid shin bang).

The Surefoot insoles I had made helped tremendously by keeping my arch from collapsing - however, I'm told it really depends on the particular person who made your insole. Maybe you should get yours returned and or redone.

I will definitely give outward cuff canting a try. I was hoping that the insole would correct my pronation issues. Now I gotta figure out the cant mechanism on AF boots (longtime SB user).

Lonerider: I noticed that riding with the toe and instep buckles loose helped with the pain a bit, but I think I like the top two buckles tight (plus a booster strap) to really get power to my edges. I think I get shin bang if I leave them too loose too.

korc: The width doesnt bother me actually. Isnt the AF series supposed to have more room than the SB series anyway? I did punch out the toe slightly to reduce pressure on my ingrown big toe. Maybe my foot just isnt all that wide.

This is not so normal, and I good bootfitter should be able to fix this.

I suggest you go back to Footloose, and ask for the guy called Cordy I think his name is - their "master blaster guy"

Canting should help, and there may be a slight change to the cork.

BTW Do you stretch before you ride each day? Specifically, you might like to consider stretching your calf msucles, doing lots of ankle rotations and so on. Additionally, if you do sports that will build up your foot strength that may help. You should consciously go through wriggling all toes before putting on your boots; massaging the base of your foot right in the centreso that nerve runs in the right place is also a good idea.

Get some decent quality socks. and Check they aren't bunching.

Make sure that your boots are warm when you put them on; not a good idea to leave them in the car overnight for instance!

As a last resort, get voltarin or similar anti inflamatory cream, and smear generously on your feet before riding. It works. But it also will make you bald eventually, so be careful about that ;-)

I'll be honest; other than the current pair of Raichle ski boots I have also had pain in every pair of boots I've owned. It really is worth spending time going through piece by piece to isolate each sore spot, then fix it.

Incidentally, when my riding improved, my foot pain really started to reduce. If you have try to ride a little more relaxed, and not do too much of the face the nose style or leaning way out extreme carving stuff, your feet are under far less stress, and the turn is transfered into using more rotation rather than powering up your feet so much. Especially on the toe side turns - in fact for a while I used to be able to lay it down with my boots completely undone; riding off the balls of my feet more and against the tongue, rather than lifting my heel at all (which I couldn't since it would ilft straight out of the boot. Just for end of day runs and the like.

Kip