Note to New Members ×

Real or Satire?

skatha

No one in their right mind would take the time to post all that nonsense just for satire's sake. I hope I never run into any of those imbeciles...

This speaks to my greatest fear for America. The blindness that allows people to suspend reality if it contradicts what they want to believe is the greatest threat facing us.

As an outsider looking in, carrying a big spoon and moving it in a circular direction.....

Does this blindness also affect the US Chambers of Commerce and the Republican Party for their disbelief in climate change? the NRA in their opposition to effective gun control?? ...........

There are many bigger, and far more threats to America's (and the world's) health than this lunatic fringe "Christian" sect (if indeed the site is not satire).

Christianity is a large and very diverse grouping, including organisations like the Salvation Army who do real good, in many countries, for the poor and disadvantaged.

SunSurfer

There are many bigger, and far more threats to America's (and the world's) health than this lunatic fringe "Christian" sect (if indeed the site is not satire).

Maybe, but when over seventy percent of Americans were led to believe that Iraq was was involved in 9/11 despite all the evidence contradicting that view, it showed how serious turning a blind eye to reality can be.

Many Christians are able to reconcile their faith with the reality of the modern science. It is those who are teaching that it's OK to ignore the real world if it doesn't fit with your views, that are creating a dangerous mindset.

then decided my time would be better spent having a drink. (see SBS previous.)

BB :biggthump

Me, too, but then I started worrying about our Kiwi and Aussie friends falling off, unless, of course, our northo-centric chauvinism is wrong and we are the ones upside down...

Maybe, but when over seventy percent of Americans were led to believe that Iraq was was involved in 9/11 despite all the evidence contradicting that view, it showed how serious turning a blind eye to reality can be.

the "coalition of the willing" provided ample evidence that group think on the subject that you reference was not exclusive to Americans. the same faulty intelligence relating to WMD, Iraqi involvement in 9/11 or whatever else was, presumably, what Tony Blair based his decision on. subsequently, and with the benefit of hindsight, voters kept Blair on Downing St. religious zealots are not in short supply outside of the US either.

Me, too, but then I started worrying about our Kiwi and Aussie friends falling off, unless, of course, our northo-centric chauvinism is wrong and we are the ones upside down...

I share your concerns, but SunSurfer's recent response gives evidence that, at least a week ago, those "down under" had not yet been flung asunder on the day of anti-Copernican reckoning. And back in Right Side Up Land, based on yesterday's Constitutional Amendment vote, nearly 40% of the Possum Pouch electorate still have their feet planted, at least tenuously, on the ground.

Let there be Enlightenment ...

BB :cool:

Edited by boarderboy

the "coalition of the willing" provided ample evidence that group think on the subject that you reference was not exclusive to Americans. the same faulty intelligence relating to WMD, Iraqi involvement in 9/11 or whatever else was, presumably, what Tony Blair based his decision on. subsequently, and with the benefit of hindsight, voters kept Blair on Downing St. religious zealots are not in short supply outside of the US either.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/newsevents/ca/180/Iraq-Public-Support-Maintained-8212-The-State-Of-Public-Opinion-On-The-War.aspx

thanks for the source Bob. it's interesting and new to me. many different perceptions could come from that piece.

You're welcome. Yes, it is interesting. There might be many reasons for this. In respect of my above comment, the British public are generally more skeptical than here in the US, and although most would identify themselves as Christians, I think most people take the Bible with a pinch of salt. There would certainly be no serious debate over evolution. A very aggressive news media and leaks from inside the Cabinet soon cast doubts over the reasons for going to war. Also (another generalization) people in the UK are generally better informed on International affairs (thanks BBC) and with their long experience with terrorism were concerned at the possible repercussions even at that time. Although anti Americanism is often cited in the press here, at that time most people were on principle ready to stand shoulder to shoulder with an ally that had always helped them. Sadly I think that is not quite so much the case these days.