Note to New Members ×

Bts + pow = ?

barryj

Do any of you guys ride your BTS boots in the powder- i'm talking 6 inches or more.

I want to get BTS for my suzuka's, but not if it's going to limit me off the groomers.

On powder days I have a second board/plate setup I run with my suzuka's now

Do any of you guys ride your BTS boots in the powder- i'm talking 6 inches or more.

I want to get BTS for my suzuka's, but not if it's going to limit me off the groomers.

On powder days I have a second board/plate setup I run with my suzuka's now

What do you do with your boots now? Do ride with the boots locked on groomers and switch to walk mode in powder? Your binding angles play a roll in this as well IMO.

I rode in walk mode for 10+ years on groomers and powder. I have BTS with yellow springs now. If I were hitting pow I would stay with my yellow springs - they are pretty darn soft. I will be getting stiffer springs next season to see if I like em - I'm on groomers 99% of the time now.

Hey Guys--Thanks for the info -

Eric- I have three boards - for carve, for crud and for pow - all with plates, but only have one pair of boots - suzukas, new to me last season/barley used when bought.

Yep, I also rode in walk mode for over 10+ years on groom and pow - just recently working on riding in "loose" mode on groomers.

Tried all settings, but I have never liked "locked" mode at any boot angle on groomers

Why is BTS/yellow better than "walk" mode in POW for you?

On a scale of 1 -10 how much has BTS improved riding performance for you? 1= no difference and 10= OMG!

Hey Guys--Thanks for the info -

Eric- I have three boards - for carve, for crud and for pow - all with plates, but only have one pair of boots - suzukas, new to me last season/barley used when bought.

Yep, I also rode in walk mode for over 10+ years on groom and pow - just recently working on riding in "loose" mode on groomers.

Tried all settings, but I have never liked "locked" mode at any boot angle on groomers

On a scale of 1 -10 how much has BTS improved riding performance for you? 1= no difference and 10= OMG!

"Walk Mode" potentially dangerous - several threads on the subject.

From your posts , you sound like a yellow spring kinda rider. My only warning is that for those that like stiff, remember the BTS can offer you allot of flex, more than you are used to is allot. Rating them? For 100$? Give them a try . I see them used for 50$ from time to time. Don't like them , flip them. They are a nice tuning tool. Those that want more flex are going to probably rate them higher. I would say a "4 or 5". maybe?

I ride one set of boots and one board in whatever conditions I get.

I don't think BTS is better than walk mode in powder. About the same for me. My angles are higher like 63deg ish so my flex is going more fore and aft than lateral. I'm really leaning on the boots cuffs to turn. I like a softer flexing boot fore and aft for the range of motion I get with my knees. IMO it allows me to absorb to terrain more.

I have not noticed an improvement in my riding, just in the smoothness of the flex of my boots. More of a comfort thing I guess. I only got the BTS cause I read all of the doom and gloom about boot failures...which in 10+ years of riding in walk mode I never experienced. Maybe bigger guys are the ones breaking boots. I'm about 180# - 190# depending upon when I poop.

I do like the BTS better though as I think the boots are smoother flexing now. I'm going to stiffer springs just out of curiosity.

If I were balls deep in pow I would try to remove the BTS springs completely just to see what it was like.

I'm sure others here have more experience than I with respect to comparing BTS springs and the old 5-position thingys.

just sayin

The Suzuka/yellow BTS combination was probably my favorite hard boot setup for powder. But... it's been about 3 years since I've done powder in hard boots, these days I'm in softies for soft snow. I had used the same boots in walk mode and wasn't a fan.

can't you just lie on it and paddle with the plate bindings?

Yes, kinda. You have to paddle pretty hard before you are up on top again. Sorta like trying to slalom waterski behind a row boat.

Man , I remember trying to get through a lull on a Burton Elite back in the day. After getting stuck once , the next time I let her rip , I LOVED THE FEELING OF HAULING ASS IN POWDER!! Twenty some years ago and never looked back.

Bryan,

Not during my last back country trip, dumbass guide (on skis) was trying to keep us from poaching to much pow, made him break trail. I did paddle oit of the trees at Brundage a few years back. It was a nice day for iy... :)

Al, I HATE that!!! Especially after you explain to them "If you have to use your poles, I AM SCREWED". I learned in NZ to always stay back (and higher) than the guides. No matter how many times you explain, it just doesn't sink in until they pork you and EVERYONE ends up late to the heli.